Author File Description
cordite1016
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Role Playing Strategy
Number of scenarios: 1
Screenshot:
****VERSION 1.2 UPDATED AS OF 1/4/2013
If you have an older version please reinstall, a couple of major bugs were fixed.****

My first submission to the AOKH Blacksmith, Ibn Battuta World Traveller is a role-playing strategy scenario featuring many RPG and adventure features. Although I have been designing scenarios for many years, this is my first large-scale effort using a historical concept.

The file contains a playable Demo Version of the first installment of the campaign, "The Journey Begins". Some of the features of this Demo include:

1 to 1.5 hours of playable content
341 Triggers
Game Soundtrack

As this is a demo version I am interested in receiving comments, reviews, and suggestions of how I can improve the campaign and the concept.

Acknowledgements
Zanzar Lothar for his Immobile Units AI Gold
Leif Erickson for his Cheat Detector AI

My Playtesters:
NGC5457
The Original
GN

Enjoy!
-Cordite1016
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Dead_End I moved the file to the projects section as it currently is unfinished. Please let us know when it's ready to be moved back to the campaigns section.

- Blacksmith Administrator
panel
Official Reviewer
I have started playing your game and so far it's looking amazing. I see a lot of similarities with the kind of RPG I am in the process of making myself. There are never enough RPG's.

One bug I've already discovered: If you try to leave the village through the southern gate with the villager Ibn, he says something about not having the proper equipment to leave, then changes ownership and the game can't continue.

I will come back with a full review once I finish the game.

[Edited on 01/04/13 @ 07:22 AM]

panel
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Ibn Battuta World Traveller is a historical scenario that focuses on the life and deeds of this great traveler, up until now under the form of a demo. It is a personality less known in the western world, I for one have only recently learned about him. This is a role-playing game in which you take control of the young Ibn Battuta as he starts his fabulous journey.

Playability: 4
This promises to be exactly the kind of RPG I would enjoy, and one I've been waiting for a long time. The story of Ibn Battuta is a very good choice for a game, very interesting and intriguing. The focus of the game is exploration (such as it should be), with plenty of classic RPG features like looting, leveling up, economy, food provisions aquired by hunting, gathering, exchanging. There is a lack of challenge , but that will probably change as the project progresses (or so I hope). Also, at this point the experience is not fully playable, there are some game-ending bugs such as the one in the beginning, when you try to leave the starting town with the Ibn villager. Also, another bug I encountered was after I killed the bandit at the mill, no other trigger fired and I wasn't able to continue, not getting any reward from the farmer.

Balance: 3
As I said before, the game is not challenging at any point. This is not really such a big problem for me, especially since the focus of the game is map exploration. However, I do expect the game to get progressively more challenging, and this did not happen in the first 45 minutes or so of gameplay. The bandit duel, for one, could have been made a little bit more interesting.

Creativity: 5
Great idea for a game, and a project that seems to be very well planned. I enjoyed the rpg features which seem to be implemented perfectly and to fit in very well with the gameplay. The food system forces you to continuously explore, so it is a welcome addition. Other very good additions include the "junk salesman", the bank and the market. Overall this is one of the most "believable" RPG systems I've seen implemented in AOK and I hope to see it put to good use until the end of the game. Excellent start!

The soundtrack is also very nice. Can't really say anything bad about the creativity, this is in many ways my idea of a perfect AOK rpg, it's as if Cordite can read my mind.

Map Design: 5
Another category that deserves full marks. So far it's a superbly designed North-African landscape, and I cannot find anything to critique , really. There's even moving waves! A lot of attention given to details such as terrain mixing and the realism of the town and city. In one word, great.

Story/Instructions: 5-
The story develops naturally and is perfect for this kind of game. Obviously, this is just the beginning but it's looking very good so far. Haven't noticed any spelling or other kinds of errors. Perhaps it would be a good idea to also include a "hints if you get stuck" section. For instance for the sea scene, even though I didn't have any problems personally, I could see how people might get stuck if they miss killing one of the pirate ships.

The bitmap colours are screwed, but you can improve this for the final version of the game, you should find a palette fix here at the blacksmith.

Additional Comments:
Rarely did a project in progress make me so enthusiastic. I am really looking forward to this game and I can recommend it without blinking to any and all RPG fans out there. This is one game that I hope gets finished, and I'd be really disappointed if it doesn't. Great job Cordite, keep it up!

[Edited on 01/04/13 @ 08:13 AM]

cordite1016
File Author
Thank you for your kind words panel! Ironically enough I encountered one of the bugs you mentioned, and fixed it. Perhaps I did not upload the new .cpx file? I have identified the other bug with the bandit and am working on it now; I hope to have the new file up within the hour. I hope you'll redownload and play again, as from what I can tell of your review there are at least two more quests and and an entire zone that you weren't able to visit because of the bug. And I can promise that the challenges get more difficult (even in the demo)! :)
panel
Official Reviewer
Í'll definitely do that when I get the chance. I'll also update my rating if necessary.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity5.0