Devious Dev
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
PARADISE LOST

Dragonslayermcmx/DEVESTATOR's Entry for the Cinematic Scenario Contest 2012

Watch the Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBzW4PBNRLo

The Story of this Cutscene is about the Legend of Atlantis, and its destruction, and as the young warrior Kaleirath fights to achieve justice and save his loved ones.

Because of lacking time, there might still be some bugs that might make some things unenjoyable. I hope you still like it though.

Features:
~42 Minutes of Breathtaking Action
~Extensive Modding wich allows you to see Stunning Effects
~A Strong Soundtrack as well as a lot Sound Effects
~525 Triggers for those who want to know
~And a lot more...

Instructions on how to install are included in the README file that comes with the download.
Please play on Normal Speed and a Screen Resolution of 1024x768, and turn the ingame music to OFF.

Hope you enjoy it!

-Dragonslayermcmx aka. DEVESTATOR
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Kakashimoto Lol finally. I can't wait to play this.
panel
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Pacing5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Paradise Lost is Dragonslayermcmx's submission to the Annual Cutscene Competition. It is a very engaging cinematic that is set in the legendary realm of Atlantis. It is not the first with this theme, and probably not the last, but it's certainly one of the better depictions of this legend for AOK.

Playability: 4
Almost all aspects of the cutscene were very enjoyable, and modding was put to good use enhancing the atmosphere. The only shortcomings were the very standard story and characters. The cinematic did remind me of a Michael Bay movie, action packed, and extremely enjoyable visually, but with a story that is somewhat lacking, and characters that say and do exactly what you would expect them to. In some cases, this wasn't true, but then the characters just acted weirdly (such as the main character coming out of hiding to face all the enemy's minions by himself, there are a few more unrealistic scenes like this one which can raise one's eyebrow). All in all though, it was a fantastic experience, and I've saved the rest of the review for mostly positive feedback :)

Balance: 5
The cutscene flowed nicely, with music and sounds fitting perfectly with what is going on visually. The only slight drawback that I could find was the gallop of the characters' horses which can be heard after they've stopped. If this is a negative that I feel the need to point out, you can tell how well polished this is. The only cutscene of such length I've ever watched with so few mistakes or bugs to point out is Andan's "Fight against fate".

Creativity: 5
Great! A well designed map, and extremely enjoyable modding effects that turn this into somewhat of a Hollywood blockbuster. I won't spoil them for you, suffice it to say they're ... apocalyptical enough. And the soundtrack fits the things happening on screen perfectly. All in all, Dragonslayer certainly didn't disappoint here.

Map Design: 5-
Generally speaking, the map looks exquisite and fits the story. I do have a problem with the mixing of mesoamerican and arabic buildings, I don't think they fit together, and there was an indoor scene with a mining camp that looked weird, but other than that it's really great. Most of the indoors looked really as good as AOK allows it, and the landscapes looked pretty good too. No reason to deduct one point here.

Story/Instructions: 4
As stated previously, this was a bit of a weak spot for the cinematic. Both the protagonist and the villain are very standard, faceless characters. I did enjoy that the author brought some humor in the mix. And the ending basically saved a lot of the story for me, I found it very poetic and it left me with a really good impression.

Additional Comments:

This is a great cutscene that could become an AOKH classic. Needless to say, it's a recommended upload and it's well worth it to replace your .dat file for 45 minutes. Well done, Dragonslayer!
Devious Dev
Official Reviewer
File Author
Wow, thank you SO MUCH for the review panel! :D
Kakashimoto I just can't simply compete with you guys (You, paperclip and Jill).
Devious Dev
Official Reviewer
File Author
Don't worry, in time you will improve. Just like I did when I first came here :)
paperclip007 This is really good, Devestator. I think a tie is about the best I could have expected with your entry in the mix. In particular, your visuals certainly blew mine right out of the water.
Devious Dev
Official Reviewer
File Author
I'm glad you liked it :)
kayuz Mamma mia! like Super Mario, this scenario is Wonderful! i like it and i like the movements, scenes... I ask to myself how you can do that ahaha :D
Devious Dev
Official Reviewer
File Author
Haha, mainly lots and lots of Triggerwork. Glad you liked it :)

[Edited on 05/19/13 @ 11:22 AM]

panel
Official Reviewer
*** This scenario received the award for Best Cinematic Scenario in the AOKH Game of the Year Awards of 2013 ***
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Pacing5.0