Single Player Scenarios » Swamp Landing

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Swamp Landing

Author File Description
Yekkelle
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
The Spanish are trying to land on the swampy ground of Holland. The Dutch Stadholder has sent you to stop one such landing on one of the islands on the North Sea.

This is a mini-map.

Difficulty- Not hard if you know what you are doing, may take you a few tries though.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Dead_End
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance3.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Swamp Landing is a small 'Defend the Spot'-style scenario where the player is to hold off various waves of enemy transports.

PLAYABILITY: 2
With Dutch history being one of my interests, I got quite excited when I read the filedescription. Unfortunately this feeling radically changed when I got to play the scenario. There was little fun in having micro-manage the onager, something which the whole outcome of the scenario seemed to depend on.

BALANCE: 3
The lack of a proper army forces the player to use the onager on the transports. Though this takes away much of the fun-factor in the scenario, it does present the player with an interesting micro-managing challenge.

CREATIVITY: 2
After playing this I was left with a feeling of 'what could have been'. Aside from the onager challenge, there was not much to do. There is certainly a lot of room for improvement in this scenario.

MAP DESIGN: 3
The author succeeded in creating a proper swamp, though there were certain elements that could have been implemented a bit better. I suggest taking a look at some of excellent swamps such as those in the work of Ingo van Thiel or Whoracle.

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS: 3
The given instructions are short, but sufficient for a victory in this scenario. Something which I found lacking in this work was a proper background story. The author pits the Dutch against the Spanish in this skirmish, but fails to explain why the fighting is taking place. Is it perhaps part of some unknown battle in the Dutch Revolt (1568-1648) or is it something else?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Overall the scenario shows some potential. A recommended download if you're after a micromanaging challenge.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance3.0
Creativity2.0