Single Player Scenarios » The Last Bastion

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Last Bastion

Author File Description
Great Emperor
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Role Playing Strategy
This scenario was originally designed in German by Great Emperor in 2004. I have translated it and nothing more; all of the work otherwise is his.
-HockeySam18

Within 700 years, the Ottoman Empire forced one country after another to their knees. Constantinople, the center of Christianity fell, and the Turks invaded Europe.
After centuries of bloody fighting in the Balkans, the Ottoman Empire was ready to penetrate deeper into Europe. Hungary and Austria took over the defense of Christianity after the fall of Byzantium.
Finally, in 1683, the Turkish empire had passed the peak of power. Yet one last time it gathered all his strength. An army of immense size set off to conquer the capital of Austria ...

You take the role of the young knight Hermann von Dorn, who was called to Vienna for the defense, however, he shows up too late, because the city was already surrounded.
He must not only find a way in, but also carry out attacks, but their success hangs in the balance. And finally, you have to face the concentrated power of the Turkish army, in the hope that help arrives soon ...

Notes:
This scenario was created for the Design Contest with the given topic of the siege of Vienna by the Turks in 1683.

This scenario has a soundtrack, to hear it properly, you have to change the sound volume to the maximum in the options tab, and the game music set to the minimum.
All the sound effects and voice switches were recorded for the speed setting "fast", therefore it is recommended that the scenario is also played on "fast" speed (also setting in Options).

UPDATE: A new, Userpatch-friendly version has been included with this download. If you are using Userpatch on your game, it will help avoid some bugs.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Jetkill Fastmurder
(id: Mayank Sharma)
Official Reviewer
Somehow it crashes each time when the countdown for the defense of the city for 30 minutes starts. Does anyone else face the same problem?

EDIT: Apparently this due a bug in the patrol effect in both v1.0c and Userpatch v1.2. If one of the selected units no longer exists at the time that the patrol effect executes (unit was killed or in this case self-destructed since the patrol was for some petards/saboteurs), the effect doesn't consider this and sends the original number of units to patrol.

This means that some of the units in the patrol list are just random memory. If you get lucky, that random memory may have been set to some real unit from a previous trigger effect, but otherwise, it will crash.

I wonder if it can be resolved by altering the patrol triggers. Looking forward to an update!

[Edited on 06/06/13 @ 07:07 AM]

Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
This is a great scenario worthy of much more recognition than it is currently getting! Time for a Blacksmith Feature perhaps? Panel? ;)
Kataphraktoi I also was unable to complete it due to the crash. Also would like to see the ability to silence the artillery batteries, i knocked out many of them but they just kept on firing. I spent 2 hours luring and killing the south, north-east and west turkish camps lol...
HockeySam18
Staff
Official Reviewer
Guys, fyi I intend to remove the sabs and the effects pertaining to them asap, mostly due to the crashes but also due to the fact that the sabs are overall just not a good or fun gameplay mechanic (there's basically no way to stop them from tearing up a third of your city and sometimes destroying the cathedral).

@Mods: I'm not sure how you want me to go about this, since you switched the file ownership to Emperor. I could either send you guys the .zip or you could temporarily switch ownership back to me for the next week or so, that way I can update and then you can switch it back to Emperor. Whichever way works better for you ;)

Hopefully that will solve all of the crashing issues. It's a shame UserPatch has this issue- I first played this scenario on 1.0c and started the translation last November while still running 1.0c, having no issues throughout. It's a great scenario and Emperor deserves a ton of kudos for creating such a masterpiece!
panel
Official Reviewer
Since file size is no longer a problem, we can include both the original and the new userpatch-friendly version in the upload. Feel free to send it to me when it's ready and I'll update the upload including it.
Possidon
Official Reviewer
I really want to give this ago. But by the looks of it it seems to have some bugs. I think I'll wait for the update then I'll try and review it for you
panel
Official Reviewer
If you don't have userpatch you might want to give it a go. If not, I'd suggest waiting.
HockeySam18
Staff
Official Reviewer
Thanks to Panel, we're updated and back in business here!

As he aptly stated in the file description, I created a separate campaign file for UserPatch users that solves all issues that it has had, so now there are now two .cpx files included in the download. The rest should be self-explanatory- the file labeled "1.0c compatible" is to be played if you are running v1.0c or older of AoK:TC, and the file labeled "UserPatch v1.3 compatible" is to be played if you are running any version of the Xomicron UserPatch (v1.0, v1.1, v1.2, or v1.3).

Enjoy all, and cheers!
panel
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance3.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
"The Last Bastion" is a scenario depicting one of the turning points in European history, the siege of Vienna. Its author is already well-known within the community for his historically inspired scenarios, such as "Vlad Dracula", and this one certainly lives up to the expectations.

Playability: 5-
Even though it focuses on a very well-known historical event, the game's main protagonist is a simple knight, who has left his own land to come to the rescue of the Viennese defendants. This helps immerse the player and also sets the stage for a bit of rpg/fixed force early in the game. Later, the scale of the battles becomes bigger, and by the end of the game, the player will control the entire city of Vienna against the Ottoman attacks. The game is highly enjoyable and the pace is very high throughout, even in the earlier more guerilla-like missions. The only letdown for me was the balance , which I'll get to in a second.

Balance: 3
This is the weak point of the scenario as far as I'm concerned. Having played on moderate, the first parts of the game were very easy and required little to no effort or tactical thought, while in the latter part of the game the player is plunged into an extremely demanding defend-the-spot situation, with limited resources, troops and technology, while the enemy gets the upper hand in basically everything. I love a good challenge, but this was more frustrating than challenging, especially due to the multitude of heroes that you need to protect and the two buildings that need to remain standing.

Creativity: 5
One of the best aspects of the game is the way in which the author has managed to create the atmosphere of a city under siege, using visual as well as sound effects for cannonfire, and excellent music. (I understand that the cannonfire also had a gameplay mechanic to them but I played the version in which that particular part was missing). The map design also contributes to the overall creativity, having been designed with tactical aspects in mind, and some of the missions in the first part of the game are very creative too.

Map Design: 5
A great design, reminiscent of Great Emperor's other works, and just as good. The landscape is great, using terrain mixing and eye candy to very good effect and without excess, and the city of Vienna is impressive, though I can't tell if it is historically accurate (it probably is, as much as AOK allows it to be).

Story/Instructions: 5
The game is more action than story, and the focus is not on characterisation, but the backstory provided serves well in helping the player empathise with the young knight Hermann von Dorn. It is great to feel as though you're taking part in such an important historical event, and as I pointed out previously in the creativity section, the atmosphere is certainly there. The history provided about the event is also extensive, and so are the instructions. I liked the idea of displaying objectives on the map with "flashing" map revealers, hadn't seen that one before.

HockeySam18's great job of translating and adapting the scenario from its original German version needs to also be aknowledged in this section.

Additional Comments:

A great fixed force/defend the spot scenario with some RPG elements. Highly recommended for anyone that is into AOK scenarios but has had enough of the run-of-the-mill Build and Destroys. If you're also excellent at micro-managing, you might enjoy its challenge even more than I did.

A great thank you to Great Emperor for creating this and to HockeySam for bringing it to a non-German speaking audience.
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
This is a very interesting scenario, except for the fact that I can't get past the defending Vienna stage.

On moderate, the Turkish army just swamps me in around 10-15 min while I'm supposed to defend for 30. Reloaded multiple times, same result. It's too hard.

Still very good historical scenario. Very atmospheric, with the cannon fire and music track.

[Edited on 05/11/14 @ 08:48 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0