PTC13 - Azgara

Author File Description
Julius999
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Azgara
Entry to the 2013 Pretty Town Contest
Winner

Henry Savlon's king has recently formed an alliance with another ruler, and sent Henry as the first ambassador to represent him at the royal court in the capital. He now approaches the city of Azgara for the first time, keen to discover what sort of place he has been sent to.

Should anyone like to borrow any aspect of this file and use it in their own work, they are entirely free to do so. The same goes if anyone would like to use the map as a whole as a template.

Updated on the 12th May. This update hopes to reduce the chance of any crash, and also includes a few minor tweaks and corrections.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
Rating
This is quite possibly Julius' finest work to date, and that is saying quite a lot considering the plethora of great maps he has produced over the years. Azgara is a large town bustling with life, surrounded by picturesque fields and farms. Julius uses several different building sets and manages to blend them seamlessly; Middle-eastern with Meso-American, and West European with East Asian. The map is much more lush and forested than most of the author's earlier scenarios, which in my book makes it look even better, and the dense woodlands are divided up very naturally by paths and open landscapes. Certain little tidbits like the compact graveyard, Japanese palace and birds flying i V-formation bear a slight resemblance to an earlier PTC winner ;), but they are always in harmony with the rest of the work.

There are numerous design tricks in the scenario that have probably never been seen outside of SWS; the compact haystacks used as tall crops in a farm, the narrowly arched bridges (one of my discoveries, as far as I know), and much more. All this combines with a spectacular base into a marvelous scenario, which is only further enhances by the beautiful music accompanying it, Holst's Venus.

All in all a worthy victor; quite possibly Julius' best work to date, and one of the best PTC winners of all time!

[Edited on 05/08/13 @ 03:22 AM]

kayuz my compliments :D
panel
Official Reviewer
Rating
Rating: 5
This is , as far as I know, unanimously considered the best entry of the 2013 Pretty Town Contest and rightfully so, in my opinion. Julius is one of those designers that is always eager to improve, and he most definitely did so with this release.

Every single aspect of the map is extremely well thought-out and increases the entertainment factor, from the city itself which is literally alive (I think every single citizen has something to say to you, and there's lots of them! guards patrolling, people going about their businesses, atmospheric sounds for every part of the city...etc), to the beautiful soundtrack and the various trigger and map tricks (birds flying around in formations, the exquisite-looking farmlands, etc.).

The city isn't only pretty-looking, but also logical in its composition and maybe the only slight problem I've found is that the blending of various architectural styles for the buildings is sometimes hit-and-miss (I'm referring to the asian building set in particular, it's the only one that felt slightly out of place for me). In saying that I also have to aknowledge that some parts of the map display an extremely inspired blending of said building sets (the Hun wonder next to the middle-eastern market - who would have thought of that?). Building stacking is also used to very good effect. Terrain mixing isn't overused, but rather used responsibly, I'd actually say this map is a lesson in terrain mixing and gaia objects placement.

Additional Comments:
As of now, this is probably the best map design I've ever seen, and one of the most entertaining non-playable scenarios at the same time. When a map manages to keep you entertained without any kind of gameplay, you know it's a great design. Hats off.
Francis de Talking France
(id: Watson)
Personally, I like to think of Julius' entry as the pretty town.

[Edited on 06/07/13 @ 01:07 AM]

Knaber Awesome!!!
Verry nice houses and forests. I relly like how you used Town centers to make "shelters" and "storehouses" !

if this wuld been a Review i wuld give your Town a 10/5

[Edited on 08/08/13 @ 12:07 PM]

ScnDesigner game crashes when i try and open it
Knaber You probbably need userpatch 1.3 to run this then...
( it dont work for me without it )
Julius999
Official Reviewer
File Author
About the crashing, I don't know what causes it for some people. I and some others have never experienced it, some people have experienced it every so often, and others seem to have real trouble. I think I reduced the likelihood in an update, but obviously didn't completely resolve it.

For getting objects close together, I used a tool called AoKTS. If you're interested, ask for more information at the forums. I believe the UserPatch can also achieve the same effect.

The units attacking things are obviously accidental, but are a consequence of quite a complicated setup (to get the variety of architecture and wonders, and do the little set pieces). I find that mostly it works as intended, but sometimes there are glitches. I would like to fix them, but I don't currently have access to the editor.

Anyway, if you liked it then I am glad.
panel
Official Reviewer
*** This scenario received the awards for Best Map Design and Best Non-Playable Scenario in the AOKH Game of the Year Awards of 2013 ***

[Edited on 02/01/14 @ 01:06 AM]

Possidon
Official Reviewer
Rating
I've looked at many different Showcase scenario over the years and while some are far better than others, they all give me ideas and inspiration for my own map designs.

Rating: 5
Azagara is Julius999's winning entry to the 2013 Pretty Town Contest. It it is a beautiful design city surrounded by agriculture and eye-candy. There's so much going on in the city I don't know where to begin.

The city itself is bursting with life. Everywhere you look something is happening. Whether thats patrolling guards or a merchant haggling a good price. There's no where in the city where you won't see some interaction going on. I love the whole interaction in the scenario. Pretty much every unit you click on will talk to you in some way. I also love some of the creativity in the city which can be interactive such as the circus area, the market place, and the jousting scene to name a few. I also love the way you've used Longboats on land as Banners.

In terms of the map design all i can say is "Stunning!" The terrain mixing is beautiful and the eye-candy is stunning. The placement of every building is perfect, and the blending of different building sets and the overlapped buildings are incredible and work really well. I really love the eye candy and some of the little things such as the stray dogs, the stump walls or the occasional chopped down tree. Outside of the city is just as well designed. One one side of the city you've got some beautiful marshland which is fairly dead with life (except a few fish) but has a very pretty design. On the other side you've got a range of fields and farmland which is very well designed. All of the different types of the farm is used from the farm foundations through to the dead farms. There are also other cool ideas such as overlapped hay bales which make the fields turn alive with harvest.

Additional Comments:
Overall Azgara is a beautifully designed city and it is a must download. It can really inspire designers with their own map designs giving them ideas on different designs, eye-candy and building placements.

A beautiful design. Thanks Julius
Possidon
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics