Recent Updates

Showcase Scenarios » PTC13 - Olymbos

Download File Post Review Post Comment

PTC13 - Olymbos

Author File Description
Lord Basse
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Olymbos is my entry to the 2013 Pretty Town Contest.

You are an emmissary from Queen Airikis of Taibos, one of the most powerful island nations in the great sea. You have been sent to the island of Olymbos to negotiate a marriage between the Queen and King Arris of Olymbos.

Olymbos, while considerably smaller than Taibos in both size and population, is an economic powerhouse due to its strategic location. Queen Arikis needs Olymbos's resources to continue her conquest of the Thousand Islands archipelago but King Arris has long been very reluctant to any formal relations between the two countries, fearing that Olymbos would become a mere province of Airikis's growing realm.

You are now the Queen's last hope for a peaceful solution. On her orders you are taking the longest possible way through the small island to inspect every corner of the main town, just in case military action becomes unavoidable...

Credits:
- Audio Network: music,
- Monty Python: sound effects,
- Sounddogs.com: sound effects.

Brought to you by StormWind Studios.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
panel
Official Reviewer
Rating
Rating: 5

"Olymbos" is Lord Basse's entry to the 2013 Pretty Town Contest, finishing third in said competition.

It was one of my favorites from the PTC13, mainly because of its atmosphere which was very nicely conveyed through all aspects of the design, from the map's layout which successfully emulated that of a mediterranean city, to the sound effects and music that further reinforced that theme, to the very good use of the middle-eastern building set. The buildings seemed to blend very well with the terrain, and even the trees that were used looked very "mediterranean". The spanish wonder was also put to very good use, this is one of those designs that was just begging for it to be included.

Add a little bit of humor on top of that, through the interactions with the city people , and you got yourself a really nice "pretty town" map. Some people might say Sagropireia was better, and I do agree it was more worked on than this and it probably had more of a lasting impression, but I like this one pretty much to the same extent, as far as the map design and atmosphere goes.

Additional Comments:

All entries in the competition were high standard as far as their map design was concerned, but I really felt that this entry, along with that of Julius, were the ones that really went the extra mile in order to provide atmosphere, and to make the city seem alive. I enjoyed this entry and would certainly recommend it.
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thanks a lot for the review, panel!

This was very much a rush job compared to Sagropireia, but I'm still pretty happy about how it turned out! It could've used a nother week or two of polishing though! :P

[Edited on 06/05/13 @ 02:12 PM]

Possidon
Official Reviewer
Rating
Olymbos is Lord Basse’s entry to the 2013 Pretty Town Contest. Inspired by the picturesque real life village of the same name in Greece the scenario took third place in the contest.

Rating: 4.5
While Olymbos is not as polished as Basse’s other Showcase Scenario it is still a beautiful sight to behold. Much simpler in design than a lot of high rated Showcase scenarios, which is not a negative criticism at all, Olymbos is an inspiring piece of design which can influence many designers who are looking to design nice Mediterranean style coasts towns.

One thing that I really enjoyed about this town was the buildings and layout. Particularly the use of the map copy tool to overlapped certain buildings. There’s a lot of use of the house buildings in Olymbos which I would usually find a bit of an overkill, however here they look beautiful and really fit the design of the town well. The map design is gorgeous as well will effective terrain mixing and additional eye candy. I really like the use of mountains and cliffs to make the design step-like so there are different levels to the town coming up the coast, very much like what you would see in some Greek Islands. There are a couple of areas which could do with a little extra work and detail. There could have also been a little bit more interactivity within the town as well in terms of unit movement. The atmosphere was great though and the dialogue and use of sound and music was totally on point.

Additional Comments:
Overall Olymbos is highly creative and beautifully designed map and I highly recommend it as it has some inspiring set designs.

Thanks
Possidon

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:1,720