New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files
Recent Updates

Showcase Scenarios » PTC13 - The Way Home (Watson)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

PTC13 - The Way Home (Watson)

Author File Description
Francis de Talking France
(id: Watson)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
This file contains Watson's entry to the Pretty Town Contest 2013. It has no gameplay as it was designed for the sole purpose of looking at.

~-|-~

I expect you all know the drill by now, but

Both AI files go into the folder marked "AI", and the campaign goes into the folder marked "Campaigns". The sound goes into the folder named "Scenario" within the folder "Sound".

The game itself is relatively straightforward; follow the broken brick road until you reach the flag.

If you're done viewing and don't like exploring, I suggest you use "marco" and "polo" to review the parts that you were meant to view.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
panel
Official Reviewer
Rating
Rating: 4.5
The Way Home is a nice looking non-playable map, one of the better entries from the 2013 Pretty Town Contest.

The map itself is very nicely designed, the author showing good skills both for placing and stacking up buildings for a nice, interesting look within the towns, and for terrain mixing and using elevation to create a realistic landscape. The thing I enjoyed most about the map is its "color scheme" if I may call it that, I feel the color composition for some of the areas (terrain, water and gaia objects contributing to it) was very inspired and reminiscent of classical paintings, and this feeling was only enforced by the classical background music.

I did also feel that some of the areas were in need of some more variety (too much plain grass for my taste, and some repetitive aspects in the placement of trees and gaia objects) and I did not understand the presence of palm trees, they did seem really out of place for me. Not much else worth critiquing as far as map design goes, but the atmosphere could have certainly been improved by offering more life to the inhabitants , making them speak or go about their daily chores (though this did not influence the actual rating of this review, it certainly was a factor for the PTC judging.)

Additional Comments:
One of the best map designs of the 2013 pretty town competition and definitely recommended for download. Probably Watson's best design to date, his map design talent shines in this one, and his skills can only get better from here.
Francis de Talking France
(id: Watson)
File Author
Thanks for the review and kind words, Panel. I appreciate comments like that.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:556
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:20.28 MB