DtS13 - Battle of Eilean Donnain

Author File Description
Lilthbehr
(id: Lildbehr)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
Screenshot:
In the early 6th century a priest namned Donn���¡n of Eigg founded monastery in the highlands. On an island in Loch Duich it stood as a beacon for christians in Scotland. But the picts, present in the region sought to destroy the vile intruders and burned the monastery and 150 men along with it. About 200 years afterwards his grandson Donn���¡n III of Eigg, after the viking invasion of year 866, by Harald Fairhair he rebuilds his grandfathers monastery to oppose the viking invaders. A man namned Ketill Bjornsson is sent to retake the island. But well there and with the island in Ketills hand, he put other plans to work...

UPDATE: Added in difficulties and other tweaks to make it a more solid experience.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
shieldwolf23 Hi Lildbehr! I have the chance of playing your scenario. Question though: Is it supposed to end when King Harald arrives with reinforcements? Because it did (game declared victory).

****SPOILERS****
At this point, I have got hold of the gold, lured the western enemies to the bridge and butchered them, killed 2 paladins, and was just exploring more when King Harald arrived and bam! Victory. Kindly clarify before I give out the final review. Thanks.
Lilthbehr
File Author
Yes, you are supposed to win when Harald arrives.
shieldwolf23 Err, well, that would be a little bit awkward, since I haven't even used my units to attack the enemies. I just lured them and the enemy get slaughtered by my waiting units. I'll give a review once I run this again tonight.
Lilthbehr
File Author
Well it's "Defend the Spot" not "Attack your Enemy". The only thing you need to do is to hold the bridge.
shieldwolf23 I know. But as other judges said on other contests, as well as you yourself said to "explore", you should have taken to account the player's actions when playing the scenario. I did not attack the enemy units, I lured them in the bridge, and they get slaughtered there, with minimal losses on my part.

No worries though. The scenario itself is well made. A solid winner of the DTS 13.

[Edited on 02/15/14 @ 03:28 AM]

Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
Despite being a 'defend the spot' scenario, there isn't really much to defend.

On moderate, I did all the side quests, after which the enemy attacked me on the bridge.. once. Short while later I got bored, took all my units and killed all the units on the north side, and then to the base at the bottom. Ended at 25 min, was unable to achieve a victory condition.

Fairly disappointing for a winner of scenario contest.
Lilthbehr
File Author
Most dissapointing... - yes, but still a winner. Didn't see you contributing by the way :p
Cataphract887
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions3.0
"Battle of Eilean Donnain" was an entree to the 2013 PtS and supposedly its winner. Its not a bad scenario but is quite a nothing burger. Its like biting into a hamburger with a excellent bun, crisp lettuce, flavorful tomatoes but realizing after a bite or two there is no meat within it. Maybe something changed in the userpatch that broke a trigger, but the game doesn't seem to end even though I left it running on fast for quite awhile.

Playability 3

As expected of a DtS, the player must hold an island against some enemies, who attack with several decent waves on Hard. They were mowed down easily enough and I was left wondering what would come next, but after sitting about for quite awhile nothing happened. The entire setup is pleasant enough but also not very exciting.

Balance 3

The challenge is simply to hold off a few simple waves of enemies, who did manage to kill a number of my men by the end, but on the other hand I just left my troops in a stock DtS formation without much micromanaging, and also I didn't even take advantage of the optional troops around the map. Quite easy and simple.

Creativity 3

Its a decent try with a storyline, and some music and sound effects. The "sidequests" scattered about were on the level of gaia units joining your side for free, however. The basic gameplay was quite simple and not a particularly inspired game overall.

Map Design 3

There is a nice looking map here with some very simplistic zones. The main village looks nice with good detailing and solid building placement. The water around it has some detailing and looks nice, but the shorelines in sight are very simple with no work done, looking very random mapish. The roads on the mainland are OK with a rundown look with the forests having some flower patches underneath.

Story\Objectives 3

A storyline is present that introduces a reason to defend the island, although I didn't entirely get what the point was about. The English level is a bit low here. The scouts, hints, and objectives were quite basic.

Final Thoughts:Its a decent game you wont regret playing, but just keep your expectations in check.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0