Author File Description
Filthydelphia
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
File Details
Version: Age of Empires II (2013): The Forgotten
Style: Other
Screenshot:
***Definitive Edition Version Available HERE***

From the maker of Haiku of the Ronin, the award-winning Tristan & Iseult, and The Escape of Hernan Cortes.

Europe 30,000 BC
A frozen world. A dying people. Deadly invaders

Play as Ee, a Neanderthal hunter in a dangerous and changing world.

Requires The Forgotten DLC
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
achitturi Interesting premise.
firesidecake Quite OK. But most of the scenes in the campaign only consists of walking alround, almost no fighting, so it's quite boring (the campaign occurs in 30000 BC right). Anyway, it's still a good work of the author.
Reganknight
(id: Reganknight1597)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
This review contains spoilers.

Playability: 4
In The Last Neanderthal by Al_Kharn the Great we follow the story of Ee, a caveman. I found The Last Neanderthal very entertaining. From fighting the "Others" to fighting wild animals. Most of the time I was entertained, but sometimes it seemed like I was walking around too much. I understand the authors intention of trying to portray what life was like but sometimes it felt it was more like a cut-scene scenario. I feel either more fighting or different/harder objectives could have been involved to keep the player more entertained. But overall it was not a boring scenario at all, I really enjoyed it.

Balance: 5
The balance was great. Most of the fighting took place with wild animals, which not a bad thing, as animals were an ever increasing threat to survival in ancient times. The scenario had some hard parts and some easy parts keeping a healthy mix of hard and easy parts.

Creativity: 5
The whole scenario was creative. The intro videos were a nice touch as they are not something you see in many campaigns. There was a lot of emotion displayed, and I think the choice of sounds that were used helped bring it out. This scenario is definitely unique as I have not seen a lot of Ancient times scenarios.

Map Design: 4
The map design was great, very detailed. Great use of eye candy. Definitely one of the better designed maps in the Steam workshop and in the Blacksmith. Although, there were some spots that I feel could use a little more touch-up and better terrain mixing, but overall the map design was very good.

Story/Instructions: 5
As we get a glimpse of what it was like in ancient times, we follow Ee all the way through his life. Ee has to fend for survival as he end up on his own in a dark and cold world. The overall story was great, I could follow it all the way to the end. Though you don't receive any hints in the Hints section, you still receive hints if pay attention to the dialogue. The scenario is pretty straight forward and easy to follow so it shouldn't be to hard if you miss a hint or two. I also like the well detailed Scout and History sections which explain what life was like.

Additional Comments: Overall it is still a great scenario, that I highly recommend people download. Another well designed scenario by Al_Kharn the Great.
Possidon
Official Reviewer
I've just bought AOK:HD so I think I'm gonna download this and play it soon. Expect a review when I'm finished
HighRaven İf Anyone Tell Me How to Load My Campaings To The Forum
Possidon
Official Reviewer
HighRaven - There should be a Submit File button on the top right corner of the page. Click on that and file out the submission form. It may then take a few days to be approved before it hits the Blacksmith. If you need any help visit the Scenario Design Forums here: http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=t&fn=4
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
The Last Neanderthal is a prehistoric scenario by Al_Kharn the Great. In this creative scenario, follow the adventures of Ee, a Neanderthal hunter as he looks for food, protects his family from wild animals and the dangerous Others.

Playability: 4
This is an enjoyable scenario which feature a lot of creative and unique gameplay. This is a scenario with a unique style, more cinematic driven and adventurous than your typical scenario with limited fighting. In the scenario you take Ee and his brother across the frozen lands of prehistoric Europe to hunt for food and fend of wild animals. Eventually you meet the Others, an advanced group of people with weapons. The gameplay is enjoyable due to its creativity but sometimes can get a bit boring because it involves a lot of walking around and not too much action. I suppose it defend on your preferences as to how much you will enjoy this game. Another thing that I felt a bit annoying was that my characters were villagers, they needed to be to fit the story but it meant that whenever I tried to move them I accidentally clicked a tree and turned them into lumberjacks.

Balance: 4
The balance of the scenario was decent. There is little action but what there is if it is easy to win with the correct technique and by paying attention. The scenario mainly involves you read the dialogue to know what’s going on so you can then act on it. You’re give three villagers with minimal health and attack but working tactically can help you complete each mission. Sometimes random deaths can occur when you fall through ice, this is a nice touch but if your not paying attention can get really annoying, especially if you’ve just set your character to go on a long walk home where there appears to be no obstacles. There is also a severe lack of instructions which can effect the balance if you’re not told how to do your mission properly.

Creativity: 5
This is a highly unique scenario which is based in a setting rarely seen in Age of Empires. Set in 30,000 BC we follow the adventures of a caveman in prehistoric Europe. The gameplay is very unique as it doesn’t involve much action, yet contains much adventure. It’s more like a survival game, hunting for food, fighting wildlife and Meeting strange new people. There are many creative elements to this to make it unique. Highlights include the detailed history section which includes an accurate and scientific description of the Neanderthals and the introductory video which I’d not regularly seen in custom scenarios. Music and sound effects are used to great effect to create an immersive atmosphere.

Map Design: 4
The map design is very well made. Set in a prehistoric frozen wasteland, Al_Kharn the Great has utilised what limited resources there are to create snowy landscapes to great effect. There are dozen lakes, snow covered woods and what used to be grass plain now covered in snow. It’s difficult to design these sort of maps with the limited snowy graphics in the editor but the author has done a fine job. There are a few areas that could have done with a little more detail and terrain mixing but overall this is a fine example of a snow covered map.

Story/Instructions: 4
This is where the scenario is both at its strongest and it’s weakest. Al_Kharn the Great has really done his research into Neanderthal culture and utilised his research to create a fairly scientific look into what life would have been like for the Neanderthals and the end of their time. The dialogue is very well written and narrated the story of Ee brilliantly as we follow him on his journey. The atmosphere is great with amazing uses of sound and trigger work to make the scenario immersive and engaging. Unfortunately it is in the instruction where the scenario falls. The instructions are very limited and the objectives don’t really change throughout any of the scenario. There also aren’t any hints as the author has used these to tell the history of Neanderthals. The author is relying on the player carefully reading the dialogue to know what’s going on, but if you miss it then you can get really stuck on knowing what to do next.

Additional Comments:
Overall this is a hugely creative scenario which has an entirely unique setting and gameplay style. Highly recommend scenario.

Thanks
Possidon

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0