Recent Updates

Single Player Scenarios » MGC14 - Redwood Garrison

Download File Post Review Post Comment

MGC14 - Redwood Garrison

Author File Description
MrMew
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
All these places are fictional, hence the highly original names.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mike Oxhard
(id: Arnas)
There literally were no names other than Redwood Garrison. Also, Redwood is a type of tree. So, it's not so highly original.
MrMew
File Author
*sigh* I'm sorry, but there is no way to ensure in writing that I was being sarcastic. Maybe if I wrote "highly" original names. And yes, I know Redwood is a type of tree.
The Great Artiste
(id: Great_Artiste)
I tried to run the game, so that I could review it, but it said something in the AI code is wrong.

[Edited on 04/22/17 @ 08:53 AM]

MrMew
File Author
Did you use the AoFE mod?
The Great Artiste
No, I did not know it is necessary. I apologize.
MrMew
File Author
Actually I don't think it needs that, sorry. I just assumed it was AoFE as I made a few of scenarios with it. I tested it with TC and it worked fine for me.
The Great Artiste
It might be connected with the fact I use Steam version. I could send you screenshot of the AI error message, if that helps.
Cataphract887
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions2.0
"Redwood Garrison" is a Defend the Spot minigame for the MGC14. Its a simple scenario that doesnt leave much of an impression but not one you would regret playing either.

Playability 4-

The gameplay was pleasant albeit quite simplistic. The player must defend his tower from a swarm of enemy units with a time limit. Despite there little more than this I found it enjoyable regardless;certainly the low time limit helps as the scenario concludes quickly before becoming tedious. The lack of replayability options or any kind of gameplay depth limits the interest in revisiting the game, however.

Balance 3

I found the enemy attacks not particularly difficult to handle even on Hard. I even managed to win without losing a single man and also converted half a dozen more soldiers to boot. As far as I could tell there was no difficulty mechanisms to adjust the difficulty up or even down which is unfortunate. The challenge presented by the scenario is a basic one;a nonstop flow of enemies until the timer expires.

Creativity 2

As mentioned, the scenario is quite simple. There is very little trigger complexity, not that you need that for a high score, but there really is quite little to comment on with a lack of bitmap, music, gameplay mechanics, deep story or inspired mapping.

At 10:28 the enemy AI performed a standard resignation, stating that their boars grunted too loudly and frequently was the reason for their defeat. This didn't matter so much as I had reached ten minutes anyway but it would be nice to see a custom victory message.

Map Design 3

The mapping was looking quite nice, plenty sufficient for a 4\5 score normally. However this game took place on one of the smallest map sizes that can still be sensibly used, 25x25. Therefore the lack of precise detailing was a bit unfortunate. For example, the white outlines on a berry bush and a stone mine should have been a snap to cover up.

Story\Objectives 2

There is no story, with only the objectives and hints at a barebones level. Additionally it wasn't clear how long the player actually had to survive, as at the 10 minutes ingame mark no victory was declared. Presumably this meant 10 real life minutes but the conversion is hard to make on the fly. Even a basic story would have contributed a sense of purpose to the defence, and some attachment from the player towards his men.

Final thoughts:A basic but playable scenario. Its a decent way to spend 10 minutes.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity2.0