Showcase Scenarios » MrMustache's "Winter in Ollis"

Download File Post Review Post Comment

MrMustache's "Winter in Ollis"

Author File Description
MrMustache
File Details
Version: Other Modpack
Required Modpack (if not included with the download): UserPatch 1.4
This scenario has music and small conversations. It's a winter themed town. A pretty town.Hope you guys like it, my second upload!

This scenario requires UserPatch 1.4 to play
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
MrMustache
File Author
Oh god,I made a mistake and I'm on my phone so I can't update right now,but this scenario is actually meant to be played with Userpatch 1.4!
Possidon
Official Reviewer
I've Updated the file for you, letting people know that it requires Userpatch 1.4

Blacksmith Staff
MrMustache
File Author
Thank you.
Devious Dev
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
Official Reviewer
Rating
"Winter in Ollis" is a tiny 25x25 showcase scenario that features a town named Ollis and it's snowy surroundings. The tiny map size might throw some people off, but it is certainly clear that quite some effort went into making this map what it is.

Terrain: 4
Perhaps one of the most important parts of any map is the use of AoK's terrains. Many inexperienced designers stick to a single set of terrains for each area, others try to mix them extensively but fail to make them blend properly. In this scenario however, the terrain does certainly not disappoint. The terrain mixing is done quite well, which sets the base for the rest of the design. A couple of exceptions are the leaves near the Castle to the East and and a random patch of non snowy road (next to the Archery Range) that might have looked better if placed below the Town Center. They look out of place and do not blend very well with the rest of the enviroment. Besides that, a little more elevation might have looked good, especially since the Scouts section in the Objectives screen says that the town lies on a hill.

Object Placement: 4
While the variety of objects that goes along well with a snowy map isn't exactly very wide, the author did make great use of everything at his disposal. The snowy pine trees are seamlessly mixed with regular pines and jungle bushes. That, along with the smooth use of the Userpatches off-grid placement makes the forest outside the town almost as realistic as it can get. The town itself is well made too, with off-grid-placement/map-copy used to blend buildings and objects with each other, while still keeping the snowy forest feel created by the town's outskirts. A couple of negatives that I do feel the need to point out however are the overdose of Rocks placed in the forest and the patch of Paths at the army training ground. In my view, they serve only break the the illusion of the hard worked on snowy enviroment.

Atmosphere: 3*
While not at all essential to a showcase scenario, I would like to point out that the town didn't exactly feel as alive as the author attempted to make it. Sure, the citizens talk when selected and there is a lovely song accompanying the player as he explores, but other than that, the town feels a bit frozen (... sorry :P). The fact that all the citizens are just standing around in the cold seems illogical, and I'm sure there are numerous ways to make the town truly feel a bit more alive, despite the weather.

*Because of the nature of showcase scenarios, this does not affect the overall score.

Final Score: 4
In the end, "Winter in Ollis" is a quite well designed map that definetily deserves some recognition. Of course it's understandable that some people don't want to bother downloading and installing a non playable scenario on such a small map, but if you're looking for some inspiration for a snowy themed map, or simply enjoy exploring good looking maps, this is most certainly a worthy download for you.

-Dragonslayermcmx

[Edited on 09/28/15 @ 02:13 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:225