Download File Post Review Post Comment

PTC15 - Gharain

Author File Description
Mike Oxhard
(id: Arnas)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Reviews and comments always welcome!

EDIT: People have reported that theres a crash whenever you start. It may be because of the type of file, which is CPN. So if you experience crash, I included an additional SCX file.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Popeychops
Official Reviewer
Rating
Gharain is the runner-up in the 2015 Pretty Town Contest. Its setting is an idyllic mountain village, with a multitude of residents which each have something unique to say.

The lines of scripted dialogue themselves are all short, constrained by the character limit of the editor. Nevertheless, the lines are imaginative and witty, with references to other famous works on the Blacksmith, a previous winner of the AoKH Writing Competition, films, television and video games.

The quality of the map itself is to a very good standard, with the forest setting faithfully recreated using excellent palette mixing. In particular, the lake near the centre of the town is a gorgeous triumph of designing skill. The off-centre placement of buildings allows for a set of unique structures, which add an impressive backdrop to the leisurely stroll. While the town itself is a majestic creation, some of the outlying forest has trees placed on grass terrain, which spoils the enjoyment of some of the winding pathways.

There is a minor bug with one of the lines of dialogue, where a colour tag was written incorrectly. Nevertheless, it is impressive that only a single mistake was overlooked.

Rating: 4.5
Mike Oxhard
File Author
Thanks for the review, Popey! :)
HockeySam18
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Gharain is Arnas's entry to the 2015 Pretty Town Contest.

Authenticity: Although the entry clearly takes heavy inspiration from Vaes Dothrak in Game of Thrones, I felt that the author did a good job of making a distinctly unique entry. The soundtrack was generally pleasing, and rather impressive was the scores of triggers that must have gone into creating numerous little scenes and dialogues. The pessimistic attitude of the townsfolk was conveyed rather well and I found myself chuckling at many of the funny little quips and references throughout. I think a few more sound effects and the like would have gone a long way in increasing the atmospheric effect, though.

Creativity: The author has come a long way over the years in developing a distinct design style that is effective and aesthetically pleasing. Between the dialogues, concept, implementation of the design, and creative combinations of buildings, I was quite impressed.

Layout: As aforementioned, the map design was quite impressive and I thought the design of the town was spot on. Perhaps a few building combinations could have been better thought out, but in general the urban design was excellent. I felt that the countryside could have used a little help in some parts, though. The steppe could see some improvement in terrain mixing, and the forests suffered a bit from odd combinations of trees at times. A little more use of the rotation tool could have helped at times.

Technical skill: The triggering, soundtrack, and design were all technically smooth. One thing I noticed was that by the farms surrounded by bushes my unit had a tendency to glitch through off-grid bushes and have trouble getting out, but the superior pathfinding of the UserPatch assured that this was less of an issue.
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Rating
Gharain is Arnas' entry to the 2015 Pretty Town Contest coming runner up in the competition.

Rating: 5
Gharain is an absolutely gorgeous showcase scenario that depicts a beautiful town which seems to be inspired by the Dothraki city of Vaes Dothrak from Game of Thrones. The map is very pretty and authentic, complete with a beautiful layout of buildings, using a variety of different architectural sets. Arnas has display great technical skill in his designing, showing brilliant skill in using the map copy tool to create unique building styles. He has also show skill in making a beautiful map with superb terrain mixing and use of elevation. The use of eye-candy and the placement of objects is brilliant and just adds so much beauty into what is already and incredible map.

As well as the fantastic map design the map as a stupendous atmosphere and ambience. The town is full of life with many things going on. There are many people wondering around the town and many activities going on. As you walk around you can see different things such as a local execution, a circus and you can talk to most of the townsfolk. The dialogue and interaction in the town is great and quite humorous.

Additional Comments:
Overall a brilliant and beautiful town and well deserved runner up in the contest.

Well Done Arnas
Possidon
Mike Oxhard
File Author
Thank you for the reviews and kind words, guys. I was actually surprised I got second place. :D
Julius999
Official Reviewer
No credits screen at the end?
Mike Oxhard
File Author
Sorry, but no. Had to rush this entry, and I kinda forgot about that.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:580
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:25.34 MB