Recent Updates

Showcase Scenarios » PTC15 - Tortuga

Download File Post Review Post Comment

PTC15 - Tortuga

Author File Description
Zetnus
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
A longer description can wait until later.

Important points:
- Made for the HD Edition (without AoF)
- Disable 3D water and turn down the game's music
- Play at whatever speed you like
- Map design done entirely by random map scripting

using trigger studio, I have converted it so you can now play on any version (1.0 and up)!

Story:
You set sail with a mighty fleet to conquer new lands across the sea...

But alas a terrible storm raged for days scattering your once proud fleet.

You find yourself washed up on the shores of an unfamiliar land, surrounded by the corpses of your men and the remains of your ships.
You are the only survivor to make it out of the wreckage in one piece, so you take it upon yourself to personally explore this land...
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
HockeySam18
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Tortuga is Zetnus's entry to the 2015 Pretty Town Contest, surprisingly in the form of a RMS. Though I feel this greatly held the scenario back, it was nevertheless an impressive effort.

Authenticity: For a RMS, I was quite impressed by the quality of the entry. The atmosphere was nice and the music contributed to that. I’ve certainly never seen a RMS used on this level to create the setting of a shipwreck by a pirate island with this amount of eyecandy. However, the entry served as a good example of the fact that a RMS will never match the level of detail, precision, and designing skill that a human drawing a map by hand can. The overall lack of triggered atmosphere also detracted from the score here.

Creativity: The use of an RMS to create an entry is certainly a first for the PTC and the concept itself was rather creative. I nevertheless felt that by virtue of being a RMS it missed the amount of creative detail and touches that would have warranted a better score here.

Layout: As aforementioned, the Achilles heel of the entry was its map design. Although the design was impressive by RMS standards, it hardly matches up to the map design that an experienced designer is capable of. It is not without reason that the blacksmith review guidelines merit a 2/5 for map design when a RMS is used. Notable issues were the inability of an RMS to stack buildings and create an organically laid out town, or mix terrain/place gaia objects in an organic manner.

Technical skill: If this were a RMS contest, I’d expect this entry to be among the top scorers, and with regard to being a RMS the technical skill was very high. Certain other aspects of technical skill such as terrain mixing, building placement, and use of triggers were marginalized by the nature of the entry.
MrMew Are you going to release the RMS file?
Zetnus
File Author
It's already included in the download.
Skasian20 WOW! :o :o :o

I just got into RMS and I'm in awe at what you are able to achieve with it.

Can you explain what you are doing in the TERRAIN_GENERATION? Specifically you have land_percent 100 on quite a few terrain types.

How does this work? won't it override previous terrain if you are telling it to 100% cover using one type?
Zetnus
File Author
Hmm, well you have to look at the details for each case.

Often I will replace 100% of a land, but with a caveat of a spacing_to_other_terrain_types which is greater than 0. In this case, all the terrain except the terrain at the edges will be replaced.

Sometimes, I have set_avoid_player_start_areas as part of the statement. What this will do is replace 100% of the terrain, but will not replace the bit of terrain at the center of the land because that is the player start area.

Also sometimes I will have height limit specified. So only terrain within those height limits gets replaced.

The general gist of this is that I want to replace all of the terrain within certain restrictions or constraints. That allows me to create rings of terrain along the outsides of lands, patches in the centers of lands, or differential terrain by elevation on hills and mountains.

Finally, you might wonder about those times when I replace 100% of the terrain, without any obvious restrictions at all. For example, the map's base terrain is SNOW and I replace it all with different depths of water because I want an island and not a snowy plain. But why use SNOW in the first place? The answer is that I wanted elevation in my ocean. So I first place SNOW as the base terrain, then place elevation on SNOW and then replace the SNOW with water.

I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away :)

[Edited on 10/13/16 @ 04:02 PM]

Cataphract887
Official Reviewer
Good music, but its too large(length, not filesize) in its combined file to use elsewhere;did it come from a game soundtrack somewhere?
Zetnus
File Author
Yes, it is the in-game soundtrack from Empire Earth. I merged the individual tracks into one long file for this map.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:444
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:52.05 MB