Author File Description
Pitt_Man
(id: Dark_Reign)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Other
Number of scenarios: 1
Screenshot:
As requested i've uploaded the v1 map from my Jeanne d'Arc Part II scenario. It has no units or triggers, only the map/gaia objects.

To install on NON-HD VERSION of Age of Empires II, place the file here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Scenario

To install on HD VERSION of Age of Empires II, place the file here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Age2HD\resources\_common\scenario

Enjoy :)
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
HockeySam18
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Jeanne d'Arc Part II is a file that Dark_Reign uploaded upon the request of several users who were curious as to the status of his project. The file is meant purely as a showcase of the map design of his current project; therefore I will be examining only that aspect of the scenario, along with the creativity (of the map design) and the instructions supplied with the download. Playability and balance do not apply here.

Playability: 5

Not applicable, see above.

Balance: 5

Not applicable, see above.

Creativity: 5

Dark_Reign brings a creative design style to the table, gracing us with a map that depicts a transition between seasons - in other words, various sections of the map represent different seasons as the character presumably undertakes a journey lasting several months. This is a concept that, in of itself, has only been explored rarely (if ever) in the way that the author has done here. Furthermore, the flair that the author's design style adds to the map quality cannot be understated. Expect entirely unique takes on swamps, autumn regions, and wintry settings, as well as excellent design in all other aspects.

Map Design: 4

Having seen the mapshot that the author had posted on the forums, I had a rather good idea of what the author has planned when units are added. Removing units and buildings is completely understandable from a pragmatic standpoint so as to avoid spoilers or potential plagiarism of the file. Although in some regards the removal of units/buildings renders the map in a way incomplete, the regions unaffected by this are nothing short of gorgeous. As mentioned above under the 'creativity' section, I hold a special level of appreciation for the wintry and autumn regions - scenery types that are vastly more difficult to craft than warmer or more temperate settings. Highlights included the mountain pass in the west of the map and the large swath of wintry land in the middle of the map, especially a particularly interesting take on a swollen, icy river spruced up with rocks and various objects/terrains. The one downside is that areas where armies and settlements were clearly supposed to be look a tad odd and empty, but I am entirely confident that the author will provide us with the same level of excellence in those areas with the final product as he has shown in the rest of the map.

Story/Instructions: 5

Due to the nature of the file, no commentary need be made here save for the fact that the write-up on the filepage provides clear instructions on how to add the scenario to your game folder (whether in the CD or HD version of the game) and open it in the editor for viewing. Therefore, the file merits a 5 here.

Additional Comments:

A brilliant and inspired piece of map design, Jeanne d'Arc Part II [Map Only] does well in furthering Dark_Reign's reputation as an elite designer. As a gorgeous painting to a collector, this map is likewise a delightful piece of work to be viewed with admiration. Well done!
devagrawal09 Crashes everytime I open it. Plz fix.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0