The Siege of Luandre V1

Author File Description
D4Ra4Aracks111
File Details
Version: Other Modpack
Required Modpack (if not included with the download): New Forgotten Empires Mod
Style: Fixed Force
entry of DtS16
This is Spin off from my Unfinished Project.
Requires New Forgotten Empires Mod by Bala Arizalu.
you can download it here:
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=12016&ci=703dd175af65b0bff38da056cc5ebb14YToxOntpOjA7YToyOntpOjA7czoxNDoiU2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMiO2k6MTtzOjQyOiJsaXN0ZXIucGhwP3N0YXJ0PTAmYW1wO3NlYXJjaD1CYWxhIEFyaXphbHUiO319
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
HockeySam18
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
The Siege of Luandre is D4Ra4Aracks111's entry to the 2016 Defend the Spot Competition.

Playability: 3
The scenario is a mix of cinematic and playable portions, and both flowed decently well. Unfortunately, there seems to be a trigger bug - at the end of the first defense portion (southern gate) the player's view is switched to the two guards by the red gate in the snow and the scenario does not progress past that point, so I was unable to complete it and had to resort to a cheat code to view the ending screen. A shame, too, because it looked very promising. The playable portion was rather fun to play, albeit somewhat excessively long for the gameplay involved - it took 45 minutes of game time to complete a defense portion that was somewhat static and began to become a bit monotonous.

Balance: 3
While the playable portion that I was able to play was reasonably balanced, I felt like I was never really threatened with the potential of losing. The defense of the southern gate amounts to little more than plonking your units down and letting your infantry serve as a meatshield while your buffed archers snipe off enemy units with ease. The true threat of the enemy army was not in any sort of strategy, but rather in their ability to throw hundreds of men into the meatgrinder (I picked up 1375 kills in the first defense portion alone when defending with about 50 men) and gradually wear you down over 45 minutes of game time, which was far too long for such a minor portion of the gameplay.

Creativity: 4
The author exhibits a good deal of creativity in their map design, and, while the gameplay portion that I was able to view was nothing groundbreakingly novel, it made solid use of well-established concepts.

Map Design: 4
The highlight of the scenario, the map design was particularly pleasing to the eye, although some of the modded terrains and objects were not necessarily a superior choice over their vanilla counterparts. The author clearly is graced with skill in terms of map design, and both city and countryside (from what I could see) were up to par. The biggest downside was the cramped nature of the landscape just outside the southern gate, which detracted from the ability of the AI to perform properly when attacking. Cavalry in particular often got stuck in the rocks and trees and stood helpless and frozen as they were picked off by archers.

Story/Instructions: 3
The story and instructions were a bit lacking - I found myself not quite so oriented in what was clearly an extensive and meticulously planned world on the part of the author, and a bit of background would have helped here. It is generally a good idea to provide a bit more information in the hints and scouts sections with regard to gameplay beyond the obvious "take the elevation", though I did appreciate the brief explanation of a couple gameplay mechanics. It would also be a good idea in the future to seek the help of another in proofreading your writing so as to avoid grammatical and spelling mistakes.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0