Author File Description
Lilthbehr
(id: Lildbehr)
File Details
Version: Age of Empires II (2013): The Forgotten
Required Modpack (if not included with the download): AoAK required
Style: Mix
Screenshot:
The story of Nadar Birdshire continues...

Battle at Laki Castle

- -Two months after the attack on Redham- -
Nadar finds himself in a small village named Karba. He has travelled here in search of a woman named Rajira who, like him, is a shapeshifter. Unfortunetly she is still far away. The last anybody heard of her was a letter posted to a Priest of Waris, named Morsk. In the letter it stated that she was headed north to the area called Hodoland. The journey there from Redham is thereby shortend by travelling through Karba and up to Laki Castle.
But due to resent events and the ongoing war between Huwburgia and the Red Lands ships rarely reach their destination. Except Karba which haven't been touched by the war. The only disturbance lately is the growing number of barbarians in the region.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
HockeySam18
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Battle at Laki Castle is Lildbehr's entry to the 2016 Defend the Spot Competition.

Playability: 3
The scenario was fairly fun to play, but the entertainment value was slightly hampered by the amount of long walking with slow units (the achilles heel of many RPGs) and the presence of numerous bugs. Some objectives could be activated numerous times, and at a certain point I was unable to continue and thus could not complete the scenario. On that note, up to the point to which I was able to play, the scenario was hardly a DTS (only one short sequence) and far more like a sandbox RPG. The taunt-based system was a bit clunky and sometimes dialogues fired too quickly before I was able to make a choice. Positive points included effective balance, map design that contributed well to the gameplay, and relatively simple and self-explanatory objectives (though some did not work properly) and instructions.

Balance: 5
The designer really nailed this category, in my opinion, to the point where I actually had to restart the scenario a couple times because I had lost a couple of the FF battles (couldn't save/reload due to HD Edition bugs). I felt consistently challenged but not overwhelmed, and progression required skillful but not excessively extraneous micromanagement.

Creativity: 5
Creativity was a high point of the scenario - tricks such as the fishing bear, certain object combinations, and witty dialogues did not go unappreciated! The shapeshifting mechanic was likewise impressive, and the overall plotline and quests were rather unique.

Map Design: 4
The map design was another strength of the scenario - both of the urban areas on the map were rather well-designed, and other nice touches included a ruined monastery, a cave, and an especially well-done frozen river. Overall this was a strong showing in this category, and while some small portions of the map seemed a bit lackluster, I was generally quite impressed.

Story/Instructions: 3
The pregame instructions were simple, informative, and easy to follow. There were some spelling and grammar errors but nothing too detrimental. The map provided with the scenario was quite nice with regard to orienting the player, and looked good to boot. However, at certain points I was devoid of ideas on what to do (not sure if this was due to a lack of instructions or to bugs). The story was simple and straightforward - nothing too fancy, but effective.
Lilthbehr
(id: Lildbehr)
File Author
Thanks for the kind words Sam, will have to remake this in the CD version, and work out all the bugs.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0