Download File Post Review Post Comment

-Statements- The Game -1.1-

Author File Description
cartoon_paperboy
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
[center][b]STATEMENTS - The Game - [/b][/center]

[center][img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l327/Alfons_Echeverria/statements_zpsmliucxtl.jpg[/img][/center]

[center][U][B][ History ] [/B][/U][/center]

[center]No one saw them disembark in the unanimous night, no one saw the two man sinking into the sacred ruins, but within a few days no one was unaware that they came from the south and that his home was the infinite empire upstream, on the violent mountainside, where the Zend tongue is not contaminated with the Morthond language and where leprosy is infrequent. The truth is that the obscure wizards kissed the dirt, came up the hill without pushing aside (probably without feeling) the brambles which dilacerated their flesh, and dragged themselves, nauseous and bloodstained, to the circular enclosure crowned by a dome, which once was the color of fire. The citadel was a temple, long ago devoured by fire, which the malarial jungle had profaned and whose god no longer received the homage of men. They knew that, down the road, the incessant trees had not managed to choke the ruins of the once great city of Turmunsil, whose gods were also burned and dead; they knew that their immediate obligation was to sleep. Towards midnight they were awakened by the disconsolate cry of a bird. Prints of bare feet, some fruits and a jug told them that men of the region had respectfully spied upon their sleep and were solicitous of his favor or feared his magic. Those lonely men felt the chill of fear and sought out a burial niche in the dilapidated wall and covered themselves with some unknown leaves...

The purpose which guided those men was not impossible, though it was supernatural.[/center]
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
HockeySam18
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Statements is cartoon_paperboy's entry to the 2016 Defend the Spot Competition.

Playability: 4
An incredibly unique scenario, Statements follows the tale of a lordly house and their attempts to achieve hegemony over an ancient ruined city, split into three main parts. The gameplay was bugless until the very end of the scenario, though some aspects could have been a bit more smooth. I had a lot of fun exploring the ruined city and accomplishing numerous and varied objectives in what made for a rather quality entry accompanied by a nice soundtrack. The only issue I had was at the end of the scenario, where the final defense stage was (I'm almost certain) impossible due to endless spawns of enemy units that eventually overpower your defenses - the mangonels and scorpions made it impossible to hold the clifftop with your archers and the volume of enemy cavalry was far too much. Nevertheless the scenario represents an impressive mix of DTS and cinematic portions.

Balance: 4
Aside from the slight hiccup at the end of the scenario, I found the balance to be exceptional. As the player explores the city, they are constantly assailed on multiple fronts and forced to react quickly to shifting conditions. Strategically demanding and constantly challenging, the scenario keeps the player on their toes for the most part without being overbearing or unfair. Well done.

Creativity: 4
A highlight of the scenario, the creativity and story spheres were top-notch stuff. The map design exhibited a style that I'm not sure I've ever seen tried, and the end result in creating an ancient ruined city and its surroundings was both novel and effective.

Map Design: 4
As aforementioned, the map design style was unique and very fitting for the gameplay and setting involved, and aesthetically pleasing to boot. I found myself quite impressed with the quality of the design in a rather challenging environment, and I should also remark at the author's ability to design an interesting landscape that uses large amounts of layered gaia eyecandy (something that usually doesn't look great, but the author pulled it off)! An unconventional style for sure, and the combinations of buildings and objects in some spots could see some improvement, but overall I found this entry well-deserving of a high score here.

Story/Instructions: 3
The story was well-conveyed through numerous cinematic portions and engaging gameplay, and instructions, while not present in the pregame or the postgame screens, were given clearly as the scenario went on. The one detriment was the numerous spelling and grammatical errors, which were by no means fatal but nevertheless detracted from the ability of the scenario to convey a fluid storyline and instructions - some sort of proofreading would be recommended next time. Nevertheless, the author has something quite special on his hands and I encourage him to continue developing it!

[Edited on 04/26/16 @ 06:26 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0