Battle of Lake Trasimene

Author File Description
Alkhalim
File Details
Version: Other Modpack
Required Modpack (if not included with the download): African Kingdoms
Style: Build and Destroy
Screenshot:
First of all: Hello there, dear AoKH community. Although I have been quite active on the HD scenario designing front, I actually never uploaded one file to the blacksmith before. So here you go! ;)

This scenario offers:

• A "real" Roman AI (gathering ressources, using them to train legionaires, centurions and archers).
    Non-linear warfare (raiding and pillaging, but do not get caught!)
  • Lots of "antique" units (Heavy Swordsmen, Legionaires, Centurions etc)
  • A massive Roman legion to take apart in the big final battle of the scenario.

I hope you have lots of fun with this. if anything is bothering you/not working please be sure to contact me! (Steam will probably be the fastest way to reach me) ;)
  • AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
    The Great Artiste
    (id: Great_Artiste)
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability4.0
    Balance3.0
    Creativity5.0
    Map Design3.0
    Story/Instructions4.0
    This is author's first published work on the Heavens, however he has quite a few well received works on Steam. The Scenario follows Hannibal and his battle against Roman forces near lake Trasimene.

Playability:
    The game was a smooth, B&D style challenge. It takes a few retries to learn how to correctly defend against strong enemy pushes and eventually drive the main army out by enraging their leader with countryside pillaging. It didn't however had any interesting sidequest and some objective parts were way to easy to complete (Countryside wasn't even guarded). It was mostly grinding for resources and then spam Genitour/Camel archer behind walls. A solid 4 but could improve quite a lot.

Balance:
    The balance was a bit offset in the early game by the fact enemy had strong units and player have only had time to boom and start producing units when the first attacks arrived. In the late game, however, massive Genitour armies one shot killed whatever AI sent towards them. Regarding the AI it could use some tweaks, especially when sending trebs out completely undefended (peace-meal for the camels to clear). 3

Creativity:
    I really liked the implementation of units such as legionaries, centurions and heavy swordsmans. A scenario many would expect in AoE rather than it's younger brother had a creative approach in unit usage. Nothing to bring the score down here. 5

Map Design:
    Oh dear. Parts of the map were very well done and looked beautiful (swamps to the north, Roman countryside for example) while everything in between was grass terrain with trees and grass patches, unmixed and lacking elevation. The amount of map being so blank is too big and nothing above 3 is possible here. I suggest the author to try and improve the blank grass by mixing in more terrains, add elevation, etc... You can always post a screenshot or two in the forum's respective thread and ask for opinions. 3

Story/Instructions:
    A nice history info at the beginning and the end, providing a nice intro and outro for the scenario. Hints were helpful, while the objective screen felt a bit lacking, A line or two about what exactly enrages enemy general would be useful indeed. 4

Additional Comments: A nice scenario to spend afternoon with, but would need some improvements to be opened more than once

[Edited on 04/08/18 @ 10:07 AM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
    Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
    Forgot password?
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability4.0
    Balance3.0