Rebellious Children

Author File Description
Granite_Rocks
(id: S_Bishop)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Required Modpack (if not included with the download): The Forgotten
Style: Build and Destroy
As I had posted on the forum, I was working on making a campaign about the life of Richard the Lionheart. I think it would be fun to have someone who was interested help in making this campaign. It will include a customized Norman civilization as well.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Cataphract887
Official Reviewer
Do you not enjoy map design? I was expecting a few areas of somewhat finished terrain as an appetizer for what is to come. You could check out my basic terrain guide in the S&D or University forums.

What you really need is a story. Where is the scenario taking place and why the player should get invested. Maybe write out a loose script for the events in the campaign, and how each scenario should roughly play out.
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance3.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions2.0
'Rebellious Children' is a classic build-and-destroy scenario in what is the author's third submission. Despite being fairly basic at first sight it does showcase a platform to improve and a good stepping stone into the world of scenario design.

PLAYABILITY: 'Rebellious Children' is a particularly well-chosen title given the theme of the scenario, and depending on how diligent you are when laying waste to your enemies, provides a little over an hour of game play. I liked the idea of starting off in a small weakly-defended position before you must build up to lay your rightful claim over the surrounding French territories, but it is a scenario that ultimately plays by the old adage of what you see is what you get. Its objectives are straightforward and there is no story progression whatsoever. I feel the author really missed a crucial opportunity here to feature in-game events that relate to your progress, as well as vital character development for the upstart young Richard. That being said, I would really like to see where the author can take this scenario, especially after more progress in the editor and a future update. 2

BALANCE: Despite being standard, the AI does provide some challenge on hard, enough to check your forces until you are well-prepared. Battle is possible only through consolidating defence as attacking one enemy often brings the other armies to target your forces. I lost one whole army this way as it was cut off and surrounded by three enemy forces rallying to their ally. Richard's relatively small health also means he should not be thrown into the fray carelessly, but kept back where you can ensure his survival. For the most part the AI does enough to build small forces and wall off its bases, but it is only a matter of time until experienced players simply steam-roll the enemy from the field. 3-

CREATIVITY: While the scenario does not offer a whole lot in the way of creativity, I believe what the author has created here is a nice start to build from. The overall layout of the map is quite good, if only it requires much more detail and thought to make it interesting and more so challenging from a playability point of view. Featuring more in-game story events, dialogue and character development for Richard would also improve the rating here. 2-

MAP DESIGN: The map is relatively basic at best, with large empty swathes of grass, seldom use of elevation, haphazardly placed roads and awkward clunks of forest. There is no terrain mixing to speak of and not much else to differentiate it from a random map. Nonetheless, the layout of the map, including its overall structure against the ocean and positioning of enemy bases, is a promising effort if only in need of more detail. 2

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS: The scenario begins with a small outline about the young upstart Prince Richard and his ambition in France, however it is all so vague and doesn't raise nor answer any questions. Nor does it explore Richard's ambition outside the simple quest of destroying two castles from the surrounding French provinces, a downside given what is actually a promising theme. There are no hints and only two very straightforward objectives meaning there is little more to award to the rating. This is a fair start but it could have so much more. 2-

SUGGESTIONS: First things first, I wholeheartedly endorse the author to play top-rated scenarios here at the Blacksmith, such as Dave_Earl's 'Macbeth', Gunther Zengerle's 'Halfdan and the Inheritance of the Ynglings' and pretty much anything by aMa. These scenarios are predominately build-and-destroy affairs and represent what is in my mind the top benchmark for what a good scenario of its type should look to provide. Secondly, practice makes perfect - it is in fact the only way to improvement. Explore map design, and look to add more visual interest as well as looking to the natural world for inspiration. I would also like to see the author provide a custom AI for this scenario, which may provide a tailored game play experience and challenge the standard AI is simply incapable of achieving. The last thing I will mention is to work on an in-game story capable of garnering the player's interest and attention. Good stories mean better return and investment in your scenario. I find it useful to jot into a notepad many of the ideas I have, and later incorporating those ideas that work during the design phase.

CONCLUSION: If the ES campaigns provide the benchmark for the bare minimum of where a scenario should aim to be, then 'Rebellious Children' does unfortunately fall short of this. This however isn't a criticism, and I do in fact see loads of potential and room for improvement, but it depends entirely on what the author is willing to spend in terms of time, effort and energy in order to improve what he has here. It takes practice and the end result, which includes more attention in the form of higher rated reviews, is often always worth the effort.

[Edited on 03/03/18 @ 04:52 PM]

Granite_Rocks
File Author
I'm sorry dear Cataphract that the map design for my scenarios (that aren't any worse than the map design for the ones that came with game) is not suitable for your taste. Frankly one can make even more scenarios for people to enjoy if they don't take a lot of time on map design. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy maps that took a lot of time into them. But I am usually able to find more satisfaction from a proliferation of levels over only a few levels with extravagant map design. Yet I would hardly call my design poor when I often times make maps that are similar to geographical parts of the earth (which goes beyond what people did in making the first age of empires).
Granite_Rocks
File Author
And Mashek, I think your advice is just bad in general. I don't see how you can be a good staff member when are so critical of peoples' scenarios. I think you go beyond looking negatively at other peoples' work.

I honestly don't think that people have to feel my map is one of their favorites, but it is playable and yet you say it is on the side of not. You really know how to pulverize with cynicism other individuals, and you do a good job of deterring me from wanting to do anymore. Why don't you do something else with your time.
Cataphract887
Official Reviewer
Bishop, you should design your scenarios in any way that brings you enjoyment. There is no argument from me on that point. However, I see little merit in attempting to scrape by with the absolute least effort possible in order to quick mass produce some mediorcre campaigns-as for the ones provided by ES, they are barely any different in quality to a randomly generated map created by an algorithm. They were created on a very tight timeframe by ES employees as a side job as a stopgap measure.

As for your critique of Mash, I have to strongly disagree with you there. His review was extremely sensitive and filled with positive, constructive thinking. He really went out of his way and spent his time to provide you with valuable feedback there. Your ability to take criticism seems to be on the level of a small child, as seen by your comment history-even 8 years ago you cannot accept the gentlest of reprovals. As for your request to find a scenario design partner, with your poor attitude and unwillingness to work or improve, this will certainly fall on deaf ears.

[Edited on 03/04/18 @ 03:07 PM]

Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
I'm really disappointed at your level of thinking, S_Bishop. No one's calling you out on what you enjoy designing, but there's no question whatsoever that your scenarios need more work. I am passionate about scenario designing, and the fact that I took time to play and review your scenario says I do care. It is actually to your detriment as a designer that you mistake constructive critique as criticism on you as a designer or even as a person. This is not my intention, and it never will be. For what it's worth, I thought your scenario was promising and even to a degree fun, but you give the player a single objective to destroy a number of castles without attempting to develop Richard's story at all, which is nothing to say at the lack of hints or even scouts. Even the ES campaigns had some development of story, they even used elevation in their maps. I hope you do not leave scenario designing, but you need to start listening to what other people have to say about your work, not rejecting it simply out of what you perceive to be negative. If you want to continue designing the way you do, then by all means please continue to do so! But by submitting your scenarios here you are opening them up to the public, and you'd better be willing to expect a diversity of opinion.
Granite_Rocks
File Author
Well I realize that the scenario instruction may not have been that well developed because I frankly omitted it. I wasn't looking to do that though, since that would come later if I made the campaign. I was just looking to see if people enjoyed playing the level or if someone else enjoyed the fun I have in putting together scenarios like these. But if people are going to say that it lacked basic playability, I don't see how I can really be interested in putting together scenarios like this one (or to even work on it being more playable). Story/Instructions and pretty map designs are one thing but do not effect playability.

I'm not trying to be a baby at all. It just makes me laugh that staff members are under the impression that pulverizing scenarios are the way to get more people interested in making them. And yet there are a lot of people who get perfect scores just because they spent millions of hours on map design, even though playability and balance can somewhat lack.

[Edited on 03/06/18 @ 01:14 PM]

Cataphract887
Official Reviewer
Your scenarios gameplay is little more than a random map with different starting positions. That typically defines the lowest effort B&D scenarios that struggle to stand apart from simply starting a skirmish game against the AI. Im not sure what high rated scenarios your talking about, but any high rated work stomps your scenario flat in gameplay.

Your comments on map design sound like you are simply jealous of those who cultivated their talent and put in a reasonable amount of effort to make the map look nice, so while playing a great game you have a pleasant background.

Again, the review on your scenario couldnt be milder. Your assertion that it pulverizes your scenario is laughable;the review took it very easy on you. That review is full of constructive criticism you would do well to take on board if you want to make decent works someday.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance3.0
Creativity2.0