Mod Packs » All Roads Lead to Rome

Download File Post Review Post Comment

All Roads Lead to Rome

Author File Description
Rome Mod Team
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
All Roads Lead To Rome Mod

The first and original Rome mod that's been in the making Since the Fall of 2000 (with many long breaks along the way). It's the longest project for AOK ever to be completed, the biggest AOK mod ever, has the most changes ever, and is the first modpack to add entirely "new" units. This modpack is a total conversion of the North European Building Set into a new Greco-Roman Building Set. It replaces the Viking set with a Roman one and the Tueton set with a Greek one. The modpack replaces some sounds, such as the Lion and the Priest. The modpack also includes a language.dll and a language_x1.dll that changes the names of units, and includes an empires2_x1.dat and an empires2_x1_p1.dat that adds extra Eye Candy to the "Roman Ruins". You can install these files using the "ARLTR Extra Files Installer" and you can uninstall these files using the "ARLTR Extra Files Uninstaller". The Installer will create an extra folder called "ARLTRBackup"; please do NOT remove any files in that folder because the Uninstaller will use these to restore you original settings (Otherwise you have to reinstall Age of Kings.).

Please unzip the "All Roads Lead to Rome Mod.zip" to your Age of Empires II folder. All files will then unzip to their proper directories.

Screenshots:

Object Replacements:

Berserk --> Legionnaire
Elite Berserk --> Elite Legionnaire
Longboat --> Trireme
Elite Longboat --> Elite Trireme
Teutonic Knight --> Hoplite
Elite Teutonic Knight --> Elite Hoplite
Viking Wonder --> Roman Wonder (Coliseum)
Teuton Wonder --> Greek Wonder (Parthenon)
Monk --> Monk (AOE Priest)
Light Cavalry --> Light Cavalry (Beta Scout)
Trebuchet --> Trebuchet (Beta)
Advanced Heavy Crossbowman (Beta Archer) --> Scythe Chariot
Berserk (Beta) --> Berserk (Viking Berserk)
Jaguar --> Lion
TWAL --> Aqua duct
Heavy Swordsman --> Heavy Swordsman (Non-Disappearing)
Pope Leo I --> Caesar
Imam --> Senator
Archbishop --> High Priest
Friar Tuck --> Priest
Erik the Red --> Maximus
Hrolf the Ganger --> Praetorian
Harald Hardraad --> Gladiator
Tree B --> Cross
Tree C --> Cross
Tree D --> Cross
Tree E --> Cross
Tree G --> Pink Flowered Tree
Tree H --> Tall Evergreen
ES Flag --> SPQR Flag
Church 4 --> Roman Arch

Technology Replacements:

Berserkergang --> Pax Romana
Crenellations --> Discipline

Additional Objects added to the "Roman Ruins":

Gray Column
Brown Column
White Column
Legionnaire Statue
Athena Statue
Roman Bath

Credits:

Tevious (a.k.a. The Vampire Slayer):

Designed most of the Building art work, designed the Legionnaire/Praetorian, converted some AOE units to AoK for the modpack, touch-upped some of the art work, and compiled the modpack.

Render:
Added the Beta units, designed the Trireme, designed the eye-candy, designed some of the Building art work, designed the Interface, and built the ARLTR Extra Files Installer and Uninstaller.

Nomad:
Designed some of the Building art work and touch-upped some of the art work.

Icewyvern:
Designed the concept of some of the Building art work, which were later re-textured, and touch-upped some of the art work.

Other Credits:

Agamemnon:
Designed the concept of many of the Building art work, which were later re-textured, and converted some of the AOE units to AOK for the modpack.

Ykkrosh:
Edited the empires2.dat files to add extra eye candy to the Roman Ruins.

Special Thanks to:

Wildfire Studios for some of the art work from the "Rome at War" modpack and the History articles!

Ykkrosh for making it possible to edit small details of the Genie Engine!

And to AoErat, ROR_Sir_William, Wijitmaker and Izzy for their help with the modpack!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Deathmatch
(id: Darkmaster)
<strong>WOW!!!</STRONG>

I suspect that it's gonna make headlines, like the previous Rome Mod. I'm downloading it right now!
Roman General 4238
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty4.5
Quality/Instructions4.5
Well the long awaited rome mod has finally arrived, and I must say its something I have been waiting for for quite a while.

I actually had uninstalled the AOK series from my computer and had moved on to bigger and better thinks (aka celtic kings and AOM.)

But after seeing the upload of this mod I had to download it for old times sake. so anyway here is my critique

Positives:
Provides a unique feel to the roman era
brand new textures
great building set
awesome legion(great improvemet over the RAW version)
Aquaducts are superb and much more realistic than RAW's
Great new pictures for history section
awesome tireme

Flaws:
I can't seem to get the additional frames of the roman ruins to work (copy past doesn't work either)

The stone wall, which is the same from RAW, shouldn't be there. You guys should have left the wall thats in the first release of ARLTR, that one was way better

University looks out of place, doesn't match the theme

the bathouse could be better

and finally, your missing the appropriate audio files for the two civs. I suggest taking the RAW sound clips

Overall, I give a 4.5 with the prospects of a 5 rating if the above adjustments are made. I think its great that this thing finally was finished and realize the futility of making anymore improvements. But do it for the integrity it deserves as one last bang that probably marks the end of AOK. :(
CheeZy
(id: CheeZy monkey)
Good job :)

You've made the DGDN news

- Dragon Gaming Design Network
Boy_from_heaven This mod seems great... but i tested it... it all ebgun with me clicking on cretae scenario (to seee all the units)...but then it crashed... and then i started again and clicked on sTANDARD GAME TO TEST "ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROME" WHEN ALL WAS FICISHED WITH THE PREPARATIONS ....AND I CLICKED START AGME IT LOOKED LIKE IT STARTED BUT it went black and then back to the preparations...and it said an error has occuried...or something like that... so all it acctually worked for me was the design of the first page.
Deathmatch
(id: Darkmaster)
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0
<strong>I give this mod a 5.0</strong>

<font color=red>Once you get past the installation, everything is smooth.</font>

The mod has replaced units beautifully. It also replaced the water textures, shallows, etc. All beautiful! It is very innovative and creative!

The author(s) have also managed to add additional frames to a pre-existing object, the Roman Ruins. I was very surprised to see that, because I thought it was impossible. Great discovery! It replaces useless objects, like the "church 4" and the disappearing "Heavy swordsman", and makes them useful for making maps.

The ruins were, by far, my most favorite part. There were 3 different columns, two statues, and a bath. Yet, the original Roman ruins were still accessible! The wonders (the Colloseum and the Parthenon) are beautiful. The monasteries are realistic. The best unit, in my opinion, was the chariot that replaces the skirmishers.

This mod has been awesome and very long-anticipated. The time and effort has been well worth the product.
Tevious
(id: The Vampire Slayer)
Boy_from_Heaven,

I don't know what you're problem could be, but here are some possibilities:

1. Are you running the mod with AOK and not AOK:TC (X-pack)? It's made for the X-pack.

2. Do you often have troubles with other mods? Could be a problem with your comp and MPS...

3. Are you using the "Run Multiple Mods" feature in MPS? It supposively doesn't work so well...

On a side note, we included a scenario with all the objects, so you don't need to make your own scenario to see everything we replaced. ;-)

- Tevious
Render Try Re-installing AOK & TC and give the install another crack. I've had the problem you've described we I mucked up my lang.dll files or the DRS files. I think something may have gone wrong when you installed the mod. Try a complete reinstall make sure you follow our install instructions propperly and you shouldn't have a problem..
Tevious
Hey Cheezy,

Thanks for the news posting! Although, I don't know where you got those titles for us in the credits. ;-)

Should be:

Tevious - Lead Artist/Project Manager
Render - Project Manager/Artist
Nomad - Artist
Icewyvern - Artist
Boy_from_heaven Well i dunt think theres something wrong with my compuiter...cos its just an half year old and has always worked properly... and humm i don't run many mods at the same times... and i used the aoe tc (xp) pack.... but who knows...Maybe the mod doesn't work in sweden =) ?

PS. It seems to be a very great mod... so its kinda sad i can't use it =(
Tevious
Thanks for your review Darkmaster. Glad you enjoyed the mod.

In responce to Roman General 4238's review:

Quote: "I can't seem to get the additional frames of the roman ruins to work (copy past doesn't work either)"

You did run the ARLTR Extra Files Installer, right? And you unzipped everything correctly so there was a ARLTR_empires2_x1.dat and ARLTR_empires2_x1_p1.dat in your Data folder before you used the installer? If so, then it should be fine. Just keep placing Roman Ruins until they show up or use the Rotate object ability.

Quote: "The stone wall, which is the same from RAW, shouldn't be there. You guys should have left the wall thats in the first release of ARLTR, that one was way better"

We didn't have the time or paitence to make all the broken wall peices, in-construction wall peices, gates that match the stone wall textures, ect. All we had was the regular wall peices to that wall. Walls/Gates are a pain to do, be happy we made a new Fortified wall. ;-)

Quote: "University looks out of place, doesn't match the theme"

I actually thought those Unversities looked nice. It doesn't need to match exactly. But the point is, we would have wanted to make the University have the same shape as another University. Just like how the East European Universities look like the North European Universities with different textures. The Universities are some of the most detailed buildings in the game. It would have been difficult to come up with something nearly as nice. Best solution was to alter an existing University.

Quote: "the bathouse could be better"

It used to be larger, but I had to shrink it down to fit the Roman Ruins. Otherwise you'd complain that you can walk on it around the edges.

Quote: "and finally, your missing the appropriate audio files for the two civs. I suggest taking the RAW sound clips"

Have you ever looked through all the sound files? I'd have no idea where to begin... there's a lot of sounds and I hardly be able to tell one language from another. Even if WFS was able to get all the Latin sounds for RAW, the sounds are all numbered to replace the Meso-American sounds. It's not like you can take their files and place them in our mod and they'll just work. It's way too much work and would've delayed the mod probably another half year at the rate we've been workin on it.

Quote: "Overall, I give a 4.5 with the prospects of a 5 rating if the above adjustments are made. I think its great that this thing finally was finished and realize the futility of making anymore improvements."

Well, thanks for your review. But by looking over all the other 5.0 mods and considering how much work went into this mod, don't you think it deserves a 5.0? We spent 2 years on this mod to make it look the best we could and you can't tell me that Chinese Sorcerers and Dark Mages, Swamps and Mud, Monastery Mix, Red Dragons!, -=Dino Dudes=-, Eye Candy Gaolhouse, ect are all better modpacks. ;-) I don't see why you should mark off because we didn't do a few things the way you would have prefered it had been, as long as there's nothing wrong with the Quality of the mod and the mod is very Useful.

*cough* Modpack Reviewing Tutorial *cough* ;-)

- Tevious
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty4.9