Author File Description
ENOTH
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Mix
Number of scenarios: 4
Prince of Persia

1. Prince in Exile
Prince Farroh was not alien to politics and court intrigues. His rivals, however, got the upper hand. Farroh had to flee from Tabaristan (a small independent Iranian realm to the south of the Caspian Sea) to save his life. The game starts when he appears in the east of Asia Minor, a political refugee with no connections, almost no money, his only possessions are his battle axe and a half-broken coach.
Farroh expects to make use of his administrative abilities, to become employed by some local emir or governor. The situation looks favourable: local rulers are constantly at war with each other. The problem is to make a name among them, to be noticed, which is not easy - most of them are hostile to strangers, their courtiers are extremely envious. Unexpected rivals are not welcome.
The land is inhabited by Saracens and Greeks. The Greeks, the former rulers of the land, by that time became one of the oppressed minorities - it is much easier to come to terms with them then with the Muslims (Farroh is a free-thinker, almost a Zoroastrian, so he does not mind).
At the very beginning of his new career Farroh meets a Greek girl, who is destined to … But we are running ahead. Just watch and listen.

2. Tabaristan
Farroh is summoned back to Tabaristan by his partisans to take part in the civil war and to win back the throne of his ancestors.

3. Gurgan
Before Farroh can march on Amol, the capital of Tabaristan, he must secure his position in the eastern province of Gurgan.

4. Amol
This mission is unusual. Farroh arrived from Gurgan only with a small band of cataphracts, his personal bodyguards, and a number of civilian settlers. He can not recruit new soldiers and his right to interfere into the affairs of allied commanders is limited. But he must capture Amol to be crowned and to become the King of Tabaristan.

The story continues in Prince of Persia II
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Shiva lol, There was an old PC game called Prince of Persia..then there was PoP2, then PoP3 3d..

Ah well..
AnastasiaKafka
Official Reviewer
Brilliant!
Sensational!
The next great design team has emerged!
A fantastic journey awaits you as 'The Prince Of Persia'!
ENOTH
File Author
Yes, PoP1 for PC, PoP2, POP3. Why not PoP for the Age of Empires II TC after all!
The Conquistador
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions3.0
This campaign is sensational indeed! Finally, something good and unique finally revealed itself after so long. I must say I am quite impressed.

The playability was good, though not excellent. I didn't like how I had to restart several times because of lack of instructions warning me of potential enemies (I died twice in the first scenario alone). But that was it.

The balance, due to lack in instructions, is a tad weak. The events themselves were perfectly ok, but if you have no foreshadowing that they will happen, apparently you will have a problem on your hands. But overall, the campaign was challenging to a managable extent. As advice to the author(s), please add more instructions tab instructions and not rely on in-game instructions.

The creativity was excellent. The use of allied towers, towncenters, and castles as hiding places is well utilized and serves alot of adventurous emotions. Well done indeed.

The map design was phenominal. Although not cluttered with eyecandy, it had a well use of elevations, varying terrain types, and lots of other elements not considered conventional eyecandy but adds alot to the realism of the terrain.

The story and instructions were weak. The story is good, as it described the story as well as an AOK campaign can describe. However, the instructions were too heavily reliant on in-game instructions, and not enough use of the instructions tab. Too often do I find myself lost and don't what to do. A suggestion will be to use the instructions tab more, and have repeatable in-game instructions.

+ Points

- Well use of creativity
- Excellent map design

- Poor instructions

Final Thoughts: Overal, this is an excellent campaign and you should definitely try it for yourself. Well done!
Antichrist
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions2.0
I think I have to disagree with The_Conquistador at some points.

This campaign is not sensational one (No offence ENOTH) and it needs some fixes and so on. I would rate this as a "not good, not bad"-campaign.

The playability was good, just as The_Conquistador said and I can only totally agree with him on that point.

I was most dissepointed about the Balance, sometimes it was too hard and you didn't knew what to do and the second after you have a bunch of angry soldiers eating your corpse. The poor instructions had a lot to do with this, and I think that the author shouid think on this.

The creativity was not "excellent" as The_Conquistador described it. I liked the hiding in the ram though, otherwise hiding in castles, towers and town centers is nothing special. And also, the campaign was based on a SNES game, and I'm sorry but I think the game is better in creativity.

The mapdesign was good, it didn't failed. Some eye-candy but nothing special. To The_Conquistador: use of elevations, mixed terrain is what we call in swedish "vardagsmat" or standard for the most of the AOK-scenarios. But the design was good, better than a RM.

The story/instructions was below all critism, you didn't knew what to do sometimes and the messages didn't say that much about what to do. The story is good however, based on the SNES game and I think that it's a good representive for "SNES Prince of Persia" in AoK format.

+ Points

- A good mapdesign
- The ram trip

- The poor instructions
- The balance, some tasks was hard and some not.
ENOTH
File Author
Thank you all for your remarks and criticism. It is much better to be criticised severely than not to be noticed at all. At least one knows what to improve. ‘Prince of Persia’ was not intended to be sensational. The idea was to make something more or less psychologically similar to real life. In real life princes in exile do not get clear instructions every time they don’t know what to do, where to go, what to say. For this very reason we shall never get a good mark for instructions. Sorry. The same with balance - life is never well-balanced, sometimes hard, sometimes even too easy. All people have their faults, even princes, not speaking about AoK scenario designers. We shall work hard to improve, to correct past mistakes and to make a lot of new ones.

ENOTH DESIGN TEAM
AnastasiaKafka
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
I shall compose myself now, and go beyond that outburst of mine in the comment section. Here is my player review for the 'Prince of Persia' campaign.

I enjoyed playing this campaign, and was drawn into the role of Farroh the Prince throughout the four chapters. The pace was perfect for me. I had to restart at points throughout the game, by chapter three my method was to save game. Each time I lost a battle or something lacked in my strategy I was killed. Each time I was compelled to restart and try a new tactic or strategy. I was never frustrated though, and I had fun with the aspects of loss and victory. I took each loss as an instruction in of itself. When I achieved victory, I felt accomplishment, not luck. This is a great RPS Campaign for beginners and veterans alike, and I give it a 5 for playability.

For balance I will have to refer to the guidelines here: Most perfectly balanced scenarios should not be able to be completed without the player losing a few times. The ideal scenario balance happens when a player gets stuck, but he knows that it's possible to complete the objective if only he did something a little differently. A player should not win by luck, the scenario should be constructed so that a player can learn from mistakes and use his skill to complete the objective. In every aspect this is an ideally balanced scenario. I realize though, just because I didn't mind the lack of foreshadowing before my instructional slaughter, that could be an issue with other players. Still 'Prince of Persia' is a 5 here.

Creativity is the soul of this Campaign, and I too enjoyed the ride in the ram. I also enjoyed the choices I was given. One in particular was to take control of an allied army or leave the fighting to the allies AI. Taunt based signals are not new, but they were used effortlessly here, and each taunt to trigger choice remained central to the story that was unfolding within the game play. Without creating a walkthrough here, I'll just say that this campaign is saturated with creativity from the original AI's to the original fiction, that for me made this one of the best campaigns I ever played. Here I give a well deserved 5.

The four maps in one word were "alive!" Moving scenery with a mood of it's own. I can still see the deer running through the trees. Five.

The written story for me was more than just descriptive. It was extremely well written, and in a prose that is not often seen in scenario messages (e.g.), The very soil of Gurgan is soaked with blood of kings and princes, of mighty warriors, whose names we hardly recollect. I am also convinced of the originality of this fictional story as the author(s) did describe it's origin and concept; The events take place approximately in the second half of the eighth century in the east of Asia Minor or in Northern Iran (to the south of the Caspian Sea). Most names, place-names, animal-names, personages, heroes, etc. are invented and have little to do with reality. Prince Farroh has several real prototypes - Iranian princes and nobles, who had to leave their native land after the fall of Tabaristan to the Arabs (c. 757 A.D.). Able generals and administrators, they served other rulers, among them the Emperors of Tibet and China. Their gravestones inscribed in Pahlavi and Chinese can still be seen in Western China and Central Asia. I think that this story concept did exist as role play and in the dialogue during the game until the end. Instructions as they existed were well written too, subtle and vague in style. I would have enjoyed having more of them though. So here again I must acknowledge the facts of the game and follow the guidelines for review, and in doing so give it a 5.

All that I mentioned and more.

Wanted more of your in game instructional prose and foreshadowing of critical events.

After a careful study the guidelines I have updated my original review, as I failed in my first attempt to understand them completely in relation to the campaign and author(s) In two cases I lowered a score for reasons that were not appropriate, and I also failed to create my own precedent as outlined. I apologize for any confusion.
JackalRat
(id: BrandNewCar)
Official Reviewer
Well, I enjoyed it :-) It was fun but I still prefer the viking raids. But thats because I liked the Ai files for it.
Lord Anatoly A good work, a very good work ENOTH I already have a few of your campains and this is by far the best. I realy enjoyed it and I hope to see more of your work soon. By the way is this historicly acurate?
Jeffery Jair
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
One of a kind scenario!
Playability - Really, at the start I was dozed off by how the creator write the instructions. Like The Conquistador said, I died horribly alot of times playing this scenario.
But that's good to me, it show it's a bit challenging and fun too.

Balance - All is right. Everything is perfect timing! Can't say more.

Creativity - Really, this scenario deserves a "5" for Creativity because it's really forced me in to doing stragedy. Gotta hide my units into towers to keep them in safe place.

Map Design - The map design is well planned out. Not much eye candy. But variety of terrain style. He does alot of mixing rocks and plants and stuff. It's well thought out.

Story/Instructions - Not much in instructions and hints. Again, I dozed off in the middle of the scenario when I played this scenario. Need more describable instructions. Story was OK, not excellent.

Overall - A magnificent piece! But can do more than just this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.3
Balance4.3