Recent Updates

Utilities » Hold Off Unit Templates

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Hold Off Unit Templates

Author File Description
Berserker Jerker
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Many scenario designers use something called a “hold off unit” when creating a scenario. This is usually a single unit for player 1 in the corner of the map; its purpose is to stop the player from receiving the defeated signal during cut scenes etc. Many designers try to hide the hold off unit to stop players interfering with game play, placing a unit inside a transport ship is a popular choice.

Well with this template a hidden unit has already been placed on a blank map, allowing designers to create their scenarios without having to worry about the hold off unit. The advantage with this template over others is that it uses no triggers, doesn’t add to population count, no units can be selected via the short cut keys, and there is virtually no indication of a hidden unit. Even typing “marco polo” will not reveal the hidden unit, and enemy units will not shoot at the hidden unit either, so it’s safe to design very close (but not on top) to the corner of the map where the hidden unit is. The only thing that gives the trick away slightly is a very small piece of “Fog of War” in the right corner of the map.

Creating this trick is a complex issue, and utilizes “The Invisible tile” trick available at DGDN, and the AOKTS utility by DiGiT available here at AoKH. Due to the complex procedure we have created a set of blank templates for you to work from, and as such explaining how to achieve this trick yourself is not required. ;)

Included in the zip file are six scenarios, ranging in size from Tiny to Giant. All these scenarios are blank templates for scenario designers to use when creating their scenario. The hidden unit is in the right corner of the map, and all you need to do is ensure you keep this corner clear when creating your map. An invisible cliff has also been placed here to stop you placing units that could undo the process, and it’s also to alleviate the hidden unit being seen on the mini map. You can place Gaia item like flowers over this area if you wish.

Special thanks to DiGiT for creating his AOK Trigger Studio utility.

And as always, a big thanks to the guys and girls at DGDN http://dgdn.net/ for their help and inspiration in creating this Utility.

Enjoy, Berserker Jerker.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Nog64 That invisble tile does everything, doesn't it? :p
Takk
(id: Luke_Feanor)
Awesome BJ. This invisible tile is pretty useful. Now I'm going to try and work out how you did it. :P
Silveremperor Woww, Usefull!
I download it!
It's coolllll!
kmjnhb Hey cool, I'll use it in my campaign (if it ever get finished)
AnastasiaKafka
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0
Rating: 5
The ability to discover through designing, useful, new, and/or easier, design aspects and methods to be used, is important for a scenario design utility. These templates are all of the above, and providing these kinds of discoveries in template form is by default excellent. Everything was well thought out, right down to the choice of the East (right hand) corner of the map for the small patch of fog. No more planning for the 'hold off unit' is a gift that will make scenario designing that much more easier and enjoyable. All the map sizes are given along with a document description, and there is nothing more to do but use them. Brilliant!

LordHunt NicE! Now instead of making MORE triggers for your long game, which may be fatal to your map (if your new) you can just download this! :)
Devious Dev
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
Official Reviewer
i always garrison a unit in an allied transport ship and let it drive away so you cannot unload if you press and hold " , "

Thanks for sharing Berserker Jerker!
devagrawal09
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0
Usefulness/Novelty: 5
Hold of Units Templates is an excellent tool brought by Berserker Jerker. It is highly useful for designing some scenes of prologue or introduction rather than using cinematics. I appreciate this work.

Quality/Instructions: 5
There is nothing in these templates other than an invisible tile which contains something, I don't know what, which has a lot of importance. I can't even know where it is. They are just blank maps. But are very useful.

Additional Comments:
As usual, BJ has proved that there is an AoK master as a member of AoK Heaven. His outstanding tricks and utilities support this fact.
Thank You.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0