Author File Description
aka the Pilot
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Other
Number of players: 4
THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES...

What the hell is this?
Undead 2 [Gateways] is the second of a series of bloods, continuing the countdown. The first in the series was Undead 3 [Massacre], which is included in this version as difficulty level Easy.
In a month or two the following version, Undead 1 [Resurrection], will be released. Each version has added features and is more complex and multitasking-intensive than the last, but the older versions will also be included as difficulty levels in each successive version. Of course any necessary bugfixes will be included in each successive version. Undead Zero will not include any new features, it is simply intended to be the final bugfixed version.
In addition to the features in Massacre (multiple parallel spawn areas/arenas, user friendly spawn unit replacement, kill zones, an upgrade "shop" and a micromanagement challenge) Undead 2 [Gateways] includes a system for choosing which spawn gates near enemies are active (giving the players more control over where they attack from), chaos for overly defensive players, disease and healing, and a puzzle which, when solved, gives the player a surprise award. You'll have to use your brain to solve it (at the same time keeping control of the battles going on), though of course clues will be given.
All versions of Undead promote aggressive play with open bases and spawning directly near enemy bases, but Undead is not a blood where you simply produce units and hack and slash (though there is plenty of that too). You might even have to THINK (ouch!) while playing.
Once you've gotten used to Gateways you'll be ready for the next step up to Resurrection, a totally new experience in the blood genre.
Go to http://www.hellstromshive.net/UndeadHome.html for illustrated instructions. There you can also download the sounds for all versions of Undead. The sounds allow for a far better gaming experience. Sound cues enrichen the gameplay and help you orient yourself in the midst of chaos. The sounds are for all versions of Undead.
This update fixes a couple of minor bugs and now the website address is in the instructions instead of ???? (I had forgotten to enter it :p).
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Popeychops
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance5.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 3
At first glance this appeared to be a simple blood. After playing this, I can stand by that comment, as it has all the features of a blood: spawning units with no effort to get them, an obviously overpowered unit, and several glitches which can give one player an unfair advantage.
As player one, I did not receive a knight when it was announced that I should. This meant that my opponent was able to constantly send knights at me, which while I did recieve the counter for, meant that his longbowmen were virtually unkillable. Another note is the central section: while having no point whatsoever it does allow a player to attack spawning units on the mainland, while they cannot be killed as they have been massed. this gives one player an unfair advantage.

Balance: 5
All players are given the same starting position and spawning units, beside the aforementioned knight bug.

Creativity: 3
The idea is similar to that of the common game Path Blood, units are unlocked after kills. The difference is that in this many units are given instead of a small selection of the players choice. This stifles game play and leads to unit-spam tactics rather than thought-out approaches.

Map Design: 3
The map design was so-so, a boxy ring with a central island. The entire map had rotational symmetry, while being balanced, was very boring.
The spawning wolves were a pain as they hindered a player moving units to defend his base.

Story/Instructions: 2
The instructions were terribly paragraphed, vague, and did not list the kills required for units.

Additional Comments:
Frankly disappointing, the unusual name promises "Undead Gateways", which brings images of exotic battles against varied opponents.
The central section would be best removed with spawns near the player's base.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance5.0
Creativity3.0