Download File Post Review Post Comment

Legends of Chila

Author File Description
oliver
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
LEGENDS OF CHILA
By Oliver, member of Tsunami Studios

This is a short cutscene depicting the events that took place ages ago in the legendary realm of Chila, where the Shapeshifters - people with the ability to turn themselves into animals - lived. The two brothers Virgil and Zanath return to Chila after a thousand years in exile, but they return to bitter tears and a Chila at war.

It is not likely that this will ever become a campaign, at least not in a two-year perspective. I made it because I wanted to explore the possibilities the AoK editor has to offer for fictitious fantasy stories. I attempted to express emotion, feelings, a kind of "Paradise Lost" atmosphere. It is also my mot poetic work so far. My ambition was to make art, not just a game.

This cutscene requires a high-performance computer. I've personally got a laptop with a 2,66 Mhz P4 processor and 512 Mb of RAM, and it runs this cutscene without the slightest lag. I also tested it on a six years old computer with a 1,4 Mhz processor and 128 Mb of RAM, and it managed to run it with some lag. The result was that the music went slightly out of sync with the cutscene. This can unfortunately not be fixed. So, if you have the opportunity to play this on a good comp, please do so. :-)

-Oliver

PS. Sorry for the big file size. I don't want to compress the music too hard. DS.

PPS. Thanks to Mashek for inspiration (not to mention a few excellent sounds I shamelessly borrowed from him ;-) DDS.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
newIdea
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Pacing5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Legends of Chila is a cut-scene about the an Old Man that decides to tell his youngster about an ancient land full of lush green land, and full of life. At first glance you may think this is just another scenario about an old man telling a story of former glories, but fear not. I can guarantee you, that you have never seen anything like this before, in AoK. Chila, as told by the author, held secrets known only to it's inhabitants, inhabitants with extraordinary gifts. Chilians, as I like to refer to them as, have to ability to shape shift. Though, there are limits to their powers. Rather than changing into anything they desire, they are allowed three basic forms. One, being of birds, another being of mammals, and final being of fish. To me this makes the whole history of Chila exciting, knowing that these creatures can travel by land, sea, and air. I do not wish to give anything away, since this scenario is well worth the surprise, so I will just focus on the parts that score in the review.

Playability:

I've never been so excited to play a cut-scene. When Oliver sent this cut-scene to me, I was expecting something awesome. But I never expected something like this. I actually had to watch the whole cut-scene twice to get the full effect of it. I'm sure I will watch it a few more time today as well. If there is one piece of advice I can give you, in playing this cut-scene, it would be to watch this cut-scene at least three times. There's far too much that happens in this cut-scene, not to watch it more than once. And if you don't enjoy playing this cut-scene, I'll give you you're money back. *feels safe about not losing money* 5

Balance:

Automatic 5.

Creativity:

There's one word that comes to mind when you think of this cut-scene's creativity, absolute-brilliance. Okay, maybe that's two, but for this cut-scene, it deserves to be shown as one. It's almost impossible to explain how creative this scenario is really. After watching this cut-scene, I felt as if everything I knew about AoK Map Design, was thrown out the window and stomped on. There's so many things in here that I've never seen before. For risk of giving away anything about this cut-scene, and taking away some of the surprise, I'll just say that you will have you're mind blown out by how unique and original this cut-scene is. While watching the beginning scene, I felt as if I was looking at a pop-up book. And if seeing a pop-up book in AoK isn't creative, then I have no clue what is. 5

Map Design:

Wow. Map design, how am I going to cover this? Well as most of you know, Oliver is known for his outrageous skill of creating art on his scenarios, and he has certainly kept that idea alive. His use of trees, plants, wildlife, and everything else, was perfect. What's also impressive is the amount of detail Oliver has put into this scenario. Simple things like clumping plants, and clumping units, may not seem incredibly impressive to the untrained eye, but I can tell you from experience, that these techniques Oliver has used through tout his cut-scene take time and care. He has certainly demonstrated these qualities and more throughout the whole map. I have to give Oliver credit for the sheer effort it must have taken to design this terrain. 5

Story/Instructions:

This is where Oliver has really outdone himself. I loved the map design, I dropped my jaw at the use of new methods he used, and I was flabbergasted at the whole idea of Chila, and it's people. Above all these things, I loved the story and background the most. Oliver is truly gifted with words, and he didn't hold back with his latest project. And if he was holding back, I'm scared to think of what he could do. It's obvious that Oliver has taken a lot of time to think of this story. I've never seen anything like this in AoK, to this extent, and I'm sure no one else has either. And the writing, specifically, is incredibly detailed. Oliver has a great way with words, and he really shows it here. And my favorite part, above all else, was the way he manipulates the "Display Instruction" effect. When you watch this cut-scene, you'll see what I mean. I'd love to tell you exactly what I mean, but like I said before, this cut-scene deserves you reaction of surprise, so I'll keep it to my self for now. 5

Additional Comments:

Finally, I would just like to thank Oliver for not entering this cut-scene in Mashek's Cut-Scene Competition. If you did, I would have no chance at first, at all. And if you've read this whole review and you're still wondering if you should download this cut-scene or not, then you may need to go seek professional help. Even though this review pales in comparison to the cut-scene it's self, I was happy to write it. Good luck in the future, Oliver!

- nI
Tsunami Studios

[Edited on 06/25/06 @ 03:10 PM]

newIdea Yeah, so when you sent this to me, no lIver, I couldn't help myself, I had to write a review. It may seem wierd to post it so soon, but I couldn't wait. People should know how great this is.

P.S. - no lIver, I figured out what the beginning scene reminded me of, a pop-up book! Most people would probably think it's impossible to make a pop-up book in AoK, but you did it. :p

Awesome job,
- nI
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Pacing5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Legends of Chila is a cut-scene that runs for a little over ten minutes, and I must say, is without doubt the greatest cut-scene that has ever graced the pages of Age of Kings Heaven Blacksmith. I guarantee folks, no, I swear, you have never seen anything like this before. Nothing will prepare you for what you are about to embark upon once you have clicked the ‘download file’ button! Oliver has manipulated the map editor to precise perfection, emotion to its saddest, beauty to its most beautiful and a story to its most original and intriguing quality!

The story begins off with an old man, over-burdened with the weight of his plaguing memories, memories of a forlorn time, struck with the narrowness of loss and fatigue, telling his grandson of a land, hidden with the undergrowth of time, Chila, and the war that had taken her inhabitants by surprise, left her civilization shattered, and by God, leaves you dazed and wanting more!

I actually found myself feeling sorrow as I watched the story unfold in this cut-scene, but then, maybe that was just because of how disheartening it was to watch? You stare upon the map design, which the author has manipulated to perfection, jaw literally dropped, eyes scourged from its beauty and wonder, stomach churning because of the sense of realism, fantasy and emotion conveyed. Folks, I tell you now, and I am not just talking crap, that this cut-scene sets the benchmark that I am certain no one will break for a very long time.

Playability: (5.0)

Chila erupts into a convulsion of war as an enemy “as swift as it is efficient” sweeps through the deep green of the land, lush and fertile, leaving it destroyed, and soaking in crimson and the limbs of its victims that had fallen prey to its unambiguous desires of greed. The two characters, Virgil and Zanath vie to defend their lands, holding onto the death that has broken them, and filled with fiery rage at the sheer sight of their enemy, erupting over the horizon in all its gargantulam sized legions, under banners of scarlet. I loved this cut-scene; pure quality never before seen in such beauty and undeniable sadness. Watching this cut-scene, I sat dumb-founded, not exactly knowing what to expect, instantly caught at surprise by the opening scene. The way the dialogue is manipulated, the way the scenes are carried out, the way the music perfectly plays with the story and leaves you inspired, motivated and depressed because of the sheer brilliance of it, will all probably leave your scenario and or cut-scene looking like filth! Folks I cannot stress enough –download this now! Don’t read any further, just, for God’s sake, download it now! And Oliver, wipe that evil grin off you face!

Balance: (5.0)

A cut-scene under the review guidelines gets an automatic 5.0 in this category since ‘Balance’ cannot actually influence a cut-scene, rather only deals with the difficulty in a scenario that is playable.

Creativity: (5.0) +

I cannot utter the words at how beautiful and creative this cut-scene is. No words in the English language will tell you how greatly creative this scenario is! This scenario is utterly spectacular! Oliver has taken your dreams that few extra steps further, bringing out tricks you would never expect to see, and manipulating the display-instructions, the triggers and the map design to its sheer quality and… God I can’t even think of the word! It is just brilliant! Oliver’s use of music and sounds are superb. The sounds are so crisp perfect and have unlocked that beauty that I have so striven to one day achieve. It is so real, so calm, so… beautiful. Creativity is just something that stands out so well that one cannot help but to feel knocked to the ground, utterly overwhelmed and defeated. The story is driven forward so well too that it really leaves you wanting more, desiring more! Oliver has used things like the mass armies trick, display instructions trick, the ‘pop-up book’ trick and much, much more. An unbelievably brilliant job! Also, I loved the idea of Chila, a spirit land stuck in the fatalities of war, and her people being the shape shifters who have the powers to transform either into a bird, a mammal or a fish.

Map Design: (5.0) +

The Map design was incredible. I have no words to describe it. The lands of Chila were so beautiful, lush, deep green and fertile. The sound effects really enhanced its beauty, and make you stare in wonder, like the film, ‘The Last Samurai’ did to me when I first saw it at the cinemas. The superb use of flowers, clumped plants, bushes and trees add perfection and creativity to the cut-scene. Oliver has certainly put in a lot of time, effort and thought into how he went about his work. The atmosphere was another brilliant quality of this cut-scene too. It was so great. An atmosphere of serenity, beauty, but as you will find, quickly falls waste under the insuperable feel of chaos, demonic evil and danger. Lastly, the effect of the tricks to enhance the map-design was once again, superb! A marvelous job, Oliver! Well done!

Story/ Instructions: (5.0)

Oliver is a master with words and an aspiring author at the same time. His use of detailed words adds colour, vision and emotion to his story and cut-scene alike. Oliver is adept at manipulating metaphors and similes to add vision to what he writes, and all the while keeping with that mystical flow that helps to develop a sense of true fantasy that I myself have hardly ever witnessed in an AOK cut-scene, or scenario for that matter before. The cut-scene and the story itself are so in-depth, so serene, that you really can’t help but to become attached to what Oliver is presenting to your eyes. Also, the use of the display-instructions is splendid, eye opening, and, you are just going to have to download and see what I am talking about. This will literally sweep you off your feet, and leave you wondering at how someone could so easily manipulate the AOK editor to present a work of pure quality.

Additional Comments:

Oliver, you have presented a true masterpiece! No words will express how disheartened I am at seeing your cut-scene. You make my cut-scenes look like, and I unwaveringly admit it, like crap! But also, Oliver you have helped to unlock that true sense of beauty I have been trying to achieve for a very long time. I always wanted to create a beautiful land, under emotional music. Now I can finally do that, using your scenario as a guideline. I really thank you for this. People, you have read this review, now watch the cut-scene, you will be surprised, disheartened, but most of all –captivated!

In Short - A beautiful cut-scene, one that has captured hearts!

In Closing - A definite download!

[Edited on 07/31/20 @ 01:54 AM]

Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
I just had to write a review the moment that cut-scene finished! Awesome job, Ollie! ;)

[Edited on 01/01/07 @ 07:23 PM]

oliver
File Author
Hey, hey, calm down boys. Being a little excessively enthusiastic, I think. ;-)

I know there are a few grammatical errors in there, but I did the best I could given the restraint that English is only my second language. Next time I'll get someone to play test it before I upload it to the 'smith.

Will there ever be a sequel, then? Dunno. Not now, that's for sure. First and foremost, I gotta finish Lightning & Thunder, then I'll probably take a break.

Thanks both of you, those were excellent reviews! :-)
dale_fan3 What? Possibly not going to make another one? What about the kid? He was promised more story! You can't lie to a child! Thats not fair! Please make more, even if you need to take a break!
Stephen Richards
Official Reviewer
Well done Oliver. This is really excellent. Good to see someone not only using the many new tricks and techniques - most of which you probably discovered anyway - but using them to such great effect.
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Pacing5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
‘Legends of Chila’ is probably the best cut-scene that has ever reached the Blacksmith. With the most suiting music ever, sound effects, lots of tricks and blending map design, oliver has succeeded in creating a masterpiece, which I would rank together with Ulio and Sabato Returns, my personal favourites.
I find my old review of it too short and undetailed so I decided to review it again. Its pretty much same facts, but in a better style and more detailed.

PLAYABILITY: 5+
Playability is rated for how much the watcher/player enjoyed the game. I certainly enjoyed playing, or watching, Legends of Chila. Everything from the pre-game instructions to the enemies marching on Castle Nea was perfect and the in-game music gave me gooseflesh. It suited the story perfectly and the scenario design blended perfectly with the buildings and walls. I certainly enjoyed what was presented, more than any other cut-scene. No other game has spell-bound me more than Legends of Chila, time after time. Several times when I watch it, I find new things that I didn’t notice before. Therefore a 5+

BALANCE: 5
As all pure cut-scenes, i.e. cut-scenes with no playable elements at all, they don’t include any moments when balance can be seen. The guidelines therefore say that all these kind of cut-scenes should get a 5, since there is nothing to score from and nothing to judge.

CREATIVITY: 5+
The theme with shape shifters is not new. It has been featured in for example Sabato Returns and Sabato Lives, and probably a few more of whom I don’t know about. But in the big perspective, the theme is used in a new way. The Sabato campaigns did not use shape shifters as the good guys and they didn’t take place in a green paradise. This is an all new type of world in AoK perspective, as far as I‘m aware. I’ve never before seen a paradise-campaign in AoK and so it makes this theme all new.
Apart from the theme there are many in-game things too that bring this up to a 5. First, the high grass on the fields where deer go eating look fabulous. I used that idea myself later on in one of my projects and I have to thank you for showing it to me. Another thing, the thing that first struck me when I started the scenario, was the midnight stars in the sky, made out of signs from the ‘Display Instructions’ effect. In the same time, the chatbox was used for the dialogue, that gave the whole part a feeling of silent talk and whispers, a secret happening in the middle of the night. This gave a wonderful effect to the game.
After that, there’s the hawk and macaw flying over huge landmasses and oceans. In here, ocean waves were used, to give a great effect to the ocean. Sound effects give the feeling of cold winds and breezes in the high mountains and cold tundra. Then when you actually get to Chila, the green nature is pure pleasure for my eyes. The green grass blends perfectly with dark trees, flowers and paths. I could really feel like being in Chila, standing next to Virgil and Zanath. The music is fitting from beginning to the end. It is as if the music was composed for one purpose only – to make Legends of Chila to what it is.
The Nean buildings in the Aztec style suits the nature perfectly, as newIdea expressed it. They blend well with the nature and the whole theme.
And for a last thing, the enemy forces coming in the last scene comes in a new formation, different to the basic ones. I found out how it can be made by looking through your scenario and it’s a brilliant idea.
When the dialogue comes in Display Instructions form, it develops from short phrases into longer sentences, without removing the first phrase. This style might be confusing at first, but you quickly get used to it.
It all sums up into a 5, a strong 5.

MAP DESIGN: 5
Absolutely a 5. The nature sparkles from the very beginning, the first scene with the statue and bushes, and the dark sky with the stars. On the way to Chila there are ocean waves, high mountains and rocky tundras. Well in Chila, the green colours match each other perfectly. The high grass beside the path is the home of deer and the trees beside the path sit tight and eveyrhting i filled with life and sprucing green colours. It’s a wonderful scene.
And then the garden comes, a couple of yurts surrounded by bushes, making it look realistic as a house with a garden. Then the forces on patrol to Nea comes, all marching from different locations, meeting up with Virgil and Zanath. The terrain with dark trees and green grass gives a beautiful look to everything.
I think I summed everything up in the creativity cathegory and up here. For an overall comment, the terrain is marvelous, every detailed has got time for thoughts by the authour. It may not be the most detailed map, but it suits its purpose and looks realistic, and simply awesome. No other score than a 5 would be fair.

STORY & INSTRUCTIONS: 5
This story is unique and a thrilling one to watch. The authour has made a superb job when composing the pre-game instructions, as well as the in-game. Everything comes when its supposed to come, when the player is on high tense and eager to get the continuation. There are no sign of flashing text or slow speed text, everything goes smoothly.
The story used is unqique and I’ve never seen anything like it before, nothing even comes close. The story is not yet finished, even if the authour has started Part 2, though its not likely he completes it. An unfinished story gives more room for thinking for the player, and I like these kind of games/cut-scenes. I do prefer finished ones, but these are a good variation to classic games and cut-scenes.
As for a bonus, there is a beautiful bitmap for the pre-game instructions. It all rounds up to a 5. This is one of the best stories I’ve seen so far, definately the best in the cut-scene section.

OVERALL: A masterpiece

IN CLOSING: A thrilling story, utterly creative and atmospheric – a must download for everyone

[Edited on 09/27/07 @ 04:14 PM]

Julius999
Official Reviewer
Wow, that was amazing! Definitely deserves the ratings and hype. And to think I nearly rejected it on the basis it might take more than my usual 20 second download limit.

Lots of new creative tricks - the stars in the sky being my favourite. I'd like to know how to do that shape-shifting and the enemy army moving so close together, but I expect Oliver isn't telling.

In conclusion, this is one of the best things in the blacksmith recently (certainly makes my submission look shoddy). Oh well, Oliver just killed off every project in progress.

Glad to see you've started making your triggers in English now also! Yes, I just had to rip it apart in the editor ;)

Suggestion - Tiny little thing but, it should be "cowardly rat" not "coward rat".

I like your method of keeping the dead body fresh by the way, very ingenious.

[Edited on 06/26/06 @ 02:49 PM]

SOK_He11s_Angels I feel kinda guilty for not paying for admission and bringing roses to toss to your feet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Pacing5.0