Author File Description
Lord Basse
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Mix
Screenshot:
DEFEND THE ISLAND
~ The Full Series ~

Because of limitations in the Blacksmith and the server, Tanneur has asked/ordered me to gather the DTI maps in one same file. I would have preferred to have them split up, but with these circumstances my personal arguments aren't much to use, so I better do the best of the situation.

The full series edition of Defend the Island brings you
• All three scenarios in the series
• 10 Mb of music and sound effects for all scenarios
• History about the making of the DTI maps
• Three maps of actionpacked naval and land warfare
• Gameplay alongside and against the British, and against the gathered naval forces of the world

STORY
the Defense of Greenside

Find yourself in the 18th century's Caribbean. The island Greenside, owned by the british counsuler Washington, is since a hundred years threatened by the growing Spanish empire. Now it's getting worse. The Spaniards are invading Greenside, and they want to totally erase it from the earth!

the Battle of Diamonda

35 years has passed since Greenside was ravaged by the Spanish fleet and saved in the last second by the British. The city never got over the war and Greenside collapsed slowly from within. In the end, it turned into a pirate-port and its called, folkspeech, Tortuga.

Many seamiles away, another islands rises from the sea. This one is called Diamonda, because it's founder was very fond of the diamonds he found on the island. The founder, Captain Argus, was 89 years when he found the island and its much likely he took glass for diamonds since he was senile and overall empty-headed. When he was young he had been a superb captain at the sea. In his older days, he had gone mad.

Five years after Argus' death, more people settled on the island, mostly because it was a peaceful island under no one's rule. That changed when the British empire claimed it. The people didnt oppose them and could live in peace and build up a mighty city that supported the British and actually built most of the ships that came to save greenside in the end.

Peace had ruled for a hundred years since Argus died, until today, when the latest Counsuler claimed himself Emperor of Diamonda and broke the allianse with both the Spaniards and Britons. It was a foolish decision. The British Empire had just ended the wars and had gained more control in India. More and and more men came from all over the world to support the British navy and it was stronger than ever. The "Emperor", Counsuler Fatasius, didnt know this, since he's only interested in food and women.

And if this wasn't enough, Spain has sent a force to take control of the island, to avenge the loss at Greenside, 35 years ago. And as always in the Caribbean, there's loads of pirates lurking everywhere...

The Last Stand

It's the dawn of the 19th century, and the British Empire is at the peak of it's power. All nations that once dared to challenge Britain has been defeated or conquered. Spain has given up fighting the British fleet and the Chinese has opened their borders for foreign traders. Japan is moving towards China's ideas, and the north of the New World is under British and French control. The new so called United States of America, have demolished an army of one million british soldiers, but they are catching up. With America lost, the British now concentrate on their naval warfare, just as in the old days.
The later British naval warfare has been coloured by two giant battles. The fight for Greenside in 1751, and the loss at DSiamonda in 1786. Both battles ended as failures for the Empire. Greenside fell into the hands of the Pirates, renaming it Tortuga. Diamonda and it's excellent war vessels managed to hold off the massive Broitish fleet and declare independense. Also here, Pirates later on ravaged the remains of the city, and diamonda is now an abandoned pile of rubble, floating in the sea.

The British now concentrate on getting rid of the pirates on the seas, to secure their oceanic traderoutes, and their plans are working.

Almost all pirates have been defeated, all but three clans. The first clan defeated the British at Shipwreck Cove, only a few years ago. The last two is the Pirate Queen, the legendary pink-haired woman that ravages the Pacific, and the Norse Pirates, the Pirates led by the last decendants of the Vikings - Balin and Klaas.

Balin and Klaas have their stronghold in an islandcity called Nya Birka, an exotic island in the Caribbean. The Pirate Queen hasn't been sighted for five years, when her entire fleet was sighted in a snowstorm in southern Argentina, the colonies of Spain.

You'll know take command over the Norse Pirates, and you have to hold off the British, one last time...

DIFFICULTIES

All three scenarios can be played on any difficulty. The enemies become stronger and smarter on the higher levels, and Standard is only recommended to newer players. Moderate is the average level, which I recommend to all players, apart for those who live to reload games after losing

PLAYING

You can either play the scenarios one by one from the editor, or play them in the campaign format. It's only in the campaign that you get to see the bitmaps for all scenarios, as well as to read the instructions before starting to play.

Where to install the files is told in the ReadMe file. Credits are included in a separate file.

FOLLOW UPS

The fourth DTI map was an entry for, and also winner of, the Defend the Spot Contest, hosted by Jatayu (Blacksmith name; Sword_of_STORM) in the end of 2007. Therefor it was hosted as a separate scenario, which you can download here.

The fifth Defend the Island map is a separate, on-going project which brings te DTI series into the Multiplayer world. It is planned to be released somtime in late 2008.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Tanneur99
Official Reviewer
Play your file before submitting to the blacksmith. You set the wrong timer I won in less than 6 minutes. Still it is hard to believe that anyone can win after 30 minutes due to limited resources, destroyed docks, no villagers and more than two warships in the sea. Edit your file using the update button above your description.

-Blacksmith Administrator
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thats weird...
It worked for me when I tested it.
I'll go through it and see whats wrong. I'll update in a few days
Jas the Mace1 Totally your Timer-it's at 100 sec. instead of 1800...it was fun for the few seconds though...I'll fix it on what I downloaded and play the full version later and comment more...

[Edited on 08/28/06 @ 08:34 PM]

Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
File Author
OK, the file is updated. The timer is fixed, I've added a background image, and some other minor fixes

(If you want to play it all the game out (and see the fun parts ;) ) download again)
Julius999
Official Reviewer
I've finished it, and will do a review for you Lord Basse, but there are quite a few problems. The only way to play is to test from the editor, otherwise you get very few resources and cannot fight well (or train more than about 5 new units).

Also the balance is seriously off. Without the resources the Spanish trashed my island, except they never attacked the centre (apart from the guard towers) and I spent about 12 minutes with my island absolutely surrounded by masses and masses of ships and units (this meant I was unable to destroy the fleet). With the resources however I won easily. I clogged up the spots where enemies appeared and then explored the entire sea, and killed everything to win in 12 minutes. Either way it needs major changes. To fix this make it into a campaign and change the way the Spanish attack.
Oh yes, and Washington was virtually immortal, not that he was ever attacked.

The map design wasn't too bad though, despite what you said.

EDIT: Don't think Captain Spack Narrow goes unnoticed. :-)

[Edited on 08/30/06 @ 10:05 AM]

Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thanks for it Julius :D

I'll see what I can do in the coming days. I'll try to make it harder to win, and more realistic. But its good to know that you liked it. I really appreatiate it :-)

I'll make some more balancing, like you getting recourses regularily, and some limit on the spanish ship numbers, like the triggers used in bloods.

Though you wont get as much recourses in the beginning, and the ships might come slower, and some attack the king/centre trigger(s)

PS: Did you like the pirates ;)
/DS
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
File Author
The file is updated, and now ready for a review... hopefully ;)
No, seriosuly, its finished. I wont update anymore, if not absolutely neccesary, or if I get a really bad review ;)
Wich I dont hope I get :P
Julius999
Official Reviewer
I'll start on the review but I have a few points to make that you might want to change before I do.

Still problems, now the enemies resign as soon as my fleet appears on the horizon. (Use immobile ai). Although I'm glad to see you stopped me from blocking arriving Spanish ships this time.

The balance is still far from perfect. I still have far too many resources and even after filling to the limit with fire ships I'm still getting more resources! Give the player much, much less to start with and a slower trickle of incoming resources. That way they have to choose what to spend it on. It might be an idea to have the Spanish coming from more than 3 directions. It would be much more challenging if they were arriving from say 8 places, that would mean you would eventually be forced to fight on the actual island, as long as the player does not have huge masses of wood and gold.

It was fun all the same however, especially when the pirates arrived and for a while seemed like they would destroy a couple of docks.

Oh and make Washington weak, otherwise he won't need defending at all.

[Edited on 08/31/06 @ 02:17 PM]

Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
File Author
They surrender when your fleet comes?
Did you play on hard? I did, in campaign mode, and the spaniards didn't surrender until I had totally destroyed them, after the 30 minutes.
try on hard, if you haven't already. thats the most challenging.
I might do something about the recourses. Perhaps. If so, tomorrow. I have only 5 minites left today, so...

But thanks for the critics. I'll make a finalö update (1.3) tomorrow
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
File Author
The file is updated, once again. This time for the last time. Its ready for reviewing now, If you'd like to :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0