Author File Description
Tevious
(id: The Vampire Slayer)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Mix
Number of scenarios: 2
The Shogun - Tokugawa Ieyasu

This campaign takes place in Japan from the late 16th Century to the early 17th Century and is based on the the history of Tokugawa Ieyasu. In the first scenario, you play as Tokugawa Ieyasu through his journey as he rose to power. In the second scenario you start off playing as an English man named William Adams, who arrived in the Japans. Then in the last chapter of the scenario, you take command of Tokugawa Ieyasu in the final battle to become Shogun. If you've seen the mini-series Shogun, or read Clarvel's novel Shogun, the story to the second scenario will be relatively similar. I had originally planned a third scenario, but due to lack of time and loss of interest in AoK, I canceled it. It was going to be about Tokugawa's Siege of Osaka Castle, the last threat to his dynasty of Shogun. Hope you enjoy.

Download the optional music files below:
The Shogun Music (1)
The Shogun Music (2)

The first one is basic music files and the second is background sound files. Unzip them to your main AoK folder and it should unzip to the proper directories.

The Shogun Episode I: The Provincial Wars - 1580 AD

Oda Nobunaga, who controls one third of Japan, launches a major campaign into the western provinces of Honshu, where several powerful and highly independent Daimyos hold their domains. Nobunaga has sent two of his leading generals, Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Akechi Mitsuhide, to lead their forces in a two-pronged invasion of the west. During the past few years, Nobunaga has also run a campaign against members of certain militant Buddhist groups. Known for his cruel and harsh treatment of his enemies without apparent mercy or remorse, he plans to get rid of all Buddhist from political power and the Daimyo of the western provinces of Honshu by pure brute force.

Meanwhile, Nobunaga delegates authority of his lands to his allies. One of which, Tokugawa Ieyusa, he plans to place in control of the conquered Imagawa territory. Though Nobunaga is skeptical since Tokugawa has lived in the Imagawa territories for quite some time...

The Shogun Episode II: Unification of Japan - 1598 AD

Toyotomi Hideyoshi has now passed away, leaving his infant son, Hideyori, heir to the throne. However, Hideyori is too young to rule Japan\'s military forces and a Council had to be developed to protect him from being taken over. Though many lords have pledged their loyalty, one could defy the Council and take advantage of the situation to claim Shogunate.

William Adams, a Pilot Major for a five-ship expedition to the Far East, set sail from Rotterdam on the 'De Hoop' and joined with the rest of the fleet; 'De Liefde', 'Het Geloof', 'De Trouw', and 'Blijde Boodschop', on June 24. His long voyage took him through the west coast of Africa, across the Atlantic to the east coast of South America, through the Magellan Straits, and up the coastline of Chile. During the voyage, the fleet was scattered and several ships were lost. It was now the year 1599 AD, Adams changed ships and waited for the other ships at Santa Maria Island on the 'De Liefde'. Only the 'De Hoop' arrived. By 1600 AD, the two ships headed westward for the Japans, knowing that the other ships haven\'t made the voyage. On their way, they ran into a typhoon that claimed the 'De Hoop', leaving the 'De Liefde' as the only surviving ship of the five-ship expedition...

- The Vampire Slayer
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Tevious
File Author
I recommend that you use the Asian Statue Mod with this campaign. It changes all the Statues into Asian ones for better eye-candy for this campaign.

Also, I would very much appreciate it if someone could give this campaign a decent review by going into a little detail on each category. Thanks. :-)

- The Vampire Slayer (AKA: Tevious)

[Edited on 08/01/13 @ 10:16 PM]

Tevious
File Author
Oops, wrong tags. ;-)

I reccomend that you use the Asian Statue Mod with this campaign. It changes all the Statues into Asian ones for better eyecandy for this campaign.
Danath
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Magnificent!!!. I cannot believe how good is this campaign. (You would say that I put this score because I love Japanese, but no). Vampire, you did alone what a entire design team would have problem doing. Magnificent. The only problem with it is that you want more and more!!.

Playability 5: Especially in the second scenario, where you can choose what quests to do and the difficulty level. So, it is very fun.
Balance 5: This campaign is hard, but not impossible. I like that.
Creativity 5: There are many original effects. Like the crow flying above the dead deer, or that you must kill your own family.
Map design 5: This campaing have one of the better eyecandy I have seen. Or at least, they look natural. Besides, the music is magnificent.
Story/Instructions 5: Excellent too. A historical background is always welcome. And the hints are indispensable.

General 5: This is the best Japanese campaign I have played, and it compete with Tamerlane or Nyctophobia campaigns. Well done man!!. For the readers, if you like Japanese, you MUST play this campaign. That is all.
GregH Need another review of this campain please. I don't think even the author would have rated it a 5.0. Good campain, but I lost interest pretty quickly.
JackalRat
(id: BrandNewCar)
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
"The Shogun - Tokugawa Ieyusa" is a campaign based around two different characters for the two different scenarios, the first being Tokugawa Ieyasu a famous Japanese Samurai commander who came to become powerful. In the second scenario, you take control of William Adams, a distant traveller who was the soul survivor from a boat crash.

Playability: The playability of The Shogun - Tokugawa Ieyasu is immense. The optional objectives, the great many things to do, prove both challenging and interesting. The playability would be hard to improve upon in any campaign, and I commend the author for making this campaign constantly fun to play despite the sizes of the maps.

Balance: The balance of this campaign wasn't quite as strong as the playability was, but it was still very good by most people's standards. The fighting involved many tactical decisions and the balance didn't miss getting the highest score by much at all.

Creativity: The creativity of this campaign was truly superb. The campaign felt oriental, and played oriental. This campaign owes a lot to both sets of music which are downloadable from the link in the description page, which really bring the story to life and enhance the gameplay what seems like a hundred fold. An Idea I particularly liked was they way you had to purchase being healed in the first scenario which was a new idea and a nice addition.

Map Design: The map design by The Vampire Slayer on The Shogun was just as good as the playability if not better. A lot of time has been invested in making the map as good as it can possibly be, and this has paid dividends now. I can't really offer any advice as to how to improve the map design other than to stay away from clumping some trees in places, even if they are unplayable parts of the map. Note: This was a minor occurrence and not of enough importance to lower the mark here.

Story/Instructions: The story was strong, but a little unrealistic in places I felt. The campaign captured the essence of a Samurai film well, with this having a great help from the sounds. However, travelling back to the mansion, and having your family more than willing to commit suicide because someone tells them to, just doesn't seem right. Based on the novel, this was would be one of the few things I'd change. A good introduction screen for both maps, very detailed history, instructions and hints section were also a good addition. Another problem were the spelling mistakes, although minor they kept getting noticed and contributed to lowering the score here by one grade.

Overall: A great campaign, worthy of keeping in your custom scenario list for a long time to come. Note: This campaign is nothing without the sounds. Don't be put off by the sheer scale of it at the start and many a hour are well invested here.
Woad Creator I quite like your game you made... although sometimes get's a bit dodgy at times.

4.8 out of 5.0 Well done.
Tevious
File Author
Thanks everyone for your comments and reviews. This was my final scenario project for AoK. Both me and the rest of the Rome Mod Team will soon release the All Roads Lead to Rome mod, which will be my final project for AoK, so look foward to that. I am now creating projects for Gallactic Battlegrounds and possibly both Dungeon Siege and Age of Mythology when I get ahold of their editors.
Link 377 A while ago, you released a SHOGUN Episode 1 Demo: the hidden island/village or something, near the end you inherit a turtle ship and it says you will see it later at Osaka main dock does this ever actually happen.

P.S. Wicked Campaign
Tevious
File Author
Nope, I took the feature out. I was going to make it like a cheat unit, but for certain resons decided not to do it.

- The Vampire Slayer
Link 377 Certain resons? It would have been wicked.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.6