New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files
Recent Updates

Cinematic Scenarios » Eurona's Curse Teaser (Extended)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Eurona's Curse Teaser (Extended)

Author File Description
newIdea
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c

Eurona's Curse - Teaser

Daybreak. As the sun rose from the east, the deep green of the land set its morning dew. The chill autumn wind blew off from the Mountains, and the surrounding wildlife could be heard in all its morning eager, as it usually was. But this would be no usual beginning...

This is the extended version of the previously released EC Teaser in the forums. It was originally released on the forums only, but I decided to host the file here in the Blacksmith for reference reasons. I want to be able to look back on this someday without regretting not submitting it, so I could see it later. There is quite a bit more content on this version than the last one. SO if you saw the first version, hopefully you won't be disappointed with this version.

SPECIAL CREDITS:
- Tsunami Studios: Support
- Age of Kings Heaven: Support
- DiGiT: AoK Trigger Studio

TESTERS:
- Oliver
- Anastasia
- Warwick
- watchwood
- BrandNewCar
- Mashek331
- Aro

IMPORTANT SETTINGS:
Screen Size: 1024x768
Game Speed: Normal
Graphics: High
Sound Volume: Highest
Music Volume: Off
Speaker/Headphones: Loud

NOTE: If even one of these settings is not set correctly, your viewing experience will drastically decrease.
NOTE2: Make sure there are no other programs running during the scenario. This can drastically throw off the timing of the scneario's music and sounds.
NOTE3: Do not use Marco Polo. This can also decrease your viewing experience.

Eurona's Curse Discussion

EDIT: File updated, 20/10/06.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
reckoning_mike massively impressed, to be honest!

very good idea, very well implemented - nice terrain, realistic settings, very good dialogue, gave off an impression of really being a film!

cant wait to see when.if the finished version is released!

[Edited on 10/19/06 @ 02:26 PM]

Lance O Lot Top notch! Good job nI, well done!

If you ever need a playtest for anything...

[Edited on 10/19/06 @ 04:45 PM]

Fattybryce Awsome work NewIdea.
Loved the map design, music, story everythink really.
Just plain awsome.
newIdea
File Author
Thanks guys, I appreciate the the positive feedback. :)
Dantares IV Excellent job. Enjoyed it very much. I like your forests as well.
newIdea
File Author
Thanks.

Updated the BS download and fixed several small bugs.
JackalRat
(id: BrandNewCar)
Official Reviewer
It's come a long way :-) very impressive!

-will.
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Folks, download this game now! It is both beautiful and intriguing and full of wonder! You are missing out! Comeon download!
newIdea
File Author
Thanks for the support, guys. :)

[Edited on 10/28/06 @ 02:57 AM]

Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Pacing5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Eurona's Curse is a fictitious cut-scene focused around a young man called Yereoc and his incessant haunting dreams that come and go every night. Mysterious figures hurl fire balls, leveling entire towns and eradicating entire populaces, bursting them open into clouds of ash. In the land around Yereoc a war brews somewhere in the countryside and mysteries and twists flare around every corner. We are introduced to characters, their deep bonds of friendship and one man's troubled life.

As Yereoc's dreams pass on, the mysterious figures notorious for hurling fireballs begin to show up in real life, leaving a trail of destruction as they go. We are left wondering about the strange figures' identity, their purpose, and about the main character's strange connection with them. Who is this man, what of his destiny, what of the country's?

PLAYABILITY: I came to this cut-scene at first not knowing what to expect, not knowing of the qualities of designing that the author had mastered, but when I did play it, I was in shock, and in awe. Very few cut-scenes can ever grasp your attention at the moment go; in fact, very few cut-scenes can ever even keep your attention transfixed for the whole of the view time, and 'Eurona's Curse' does just this. Complete with some of the most beautiful and well designed scenes, a riveting story and contemplative music that is just so crisp perfect, so atmospheric, any and every viewer will be impressed and intrigued. The author takes a new approach to the fantastical genre, a new leap toward magic and dark sorcerers making for a highly compelling and innovative piece of work. I thoroughly enjoyed this cut-scene to say the least. One so gorgeous and thrilling certainly stands up among the top with other classics such as 'Legends of Chila' and 'Immortal Prey'. The map design was just so impressive, so fantastical and so detailed. The music enhances this and is vividly wild with emotion; you really get a sense of the beauty of nature, a sense of days when the birds and wildlife are at its most eager. The story is just so immersing; one full of twists that really bring it to life and keep you captivated throughout. The way everything was carried out was just so perfect and masterly orchestrated, and the use dialogue is also original and very poetic at that. At fourteen minutes, this cut-scene makes its way to the top! 5.0

PACING: When rating this category, reviewers must take into account the author's intentions and goals of the design. It is in the intention of the author that this scenario evolves plot and story, and to show a cut-scene whereby the player receives no units to control and no struggle to survive. As such there is no deduction from the overall score because there is no fighting for the player. 5.0

CREATIVITY: The creativity in this cut-scene is excellent. Mysterious figures hurl fireballs wiping out entire villages, dew forms around the bases of houses early in the morning and the heavy use of the author's very own 'Invisibility Cloak' is just plain striking as units appear out of nowhere renamed respectively. In addition you will find a wild horse roaming a paddock, an astounding bitmap, plentiful renaming, a remarkably creative use of terrain and poetically appearing dialogue. The way the towns are put together, the view appearing and disappearing on the minimap, the Town Centre's veranda seated by walls and a fictitious story hand-crafted from scratch bring this category to a clean and well-deserved perfect score. All this, and a stunning title which concludes the cut-scene that will really surprise and impress you. 5.0

MAP DESIGN: The author makes his name known by the time and effort he takes to lay down so much as a square of terrain. Every little tile, every crevice, every scene is designed to perfection, the editor's limitations manipulated beyond what I previously thought out of reach, at least for me it is anyway. The trees are mixed very nicely, ordaining a very natural and realistic feel, but also keeping to the fantastical aspect as we see in one area a forest mixed with palms, oak, pine and jungle. Ruins and damaged houses can be seen in the depths of the forests, peaking among the tops of trees or sitting alongside roads and really develops a sense of history to the land, a story. Clumps of grass overflow the streets of beautifully designed towns with perfect map copied buildings and Gaia is used to realistic standards. A well put effort for a well-deserved score! 5.0

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS: The story is creative and original, a concept I myself have never witnessed in the Blacksmith as of yet. The author introduces the protagonist's story with an extract in History seemingly told from a storyteller's perspective. It tells us what is to come, of lost loyalty and good, of the evil and betrayal to come and a destiny wrapped under a cloud of uncertainty. Instructions are exemplary, detailing the settings we need to have before viewing and makes clear how the cut-scene will be so much less without the adherence to them. The plot of the cut-scene itself was intriguing and simply wondrous, topped by the superb use of dialogue that perfectly matches every scene and appears very flowingly and poetically. However I encountered many spelling mistakes throughout play. In History it seems that you many a time confused 'his' with 'this' or the other way around. Also, I would think the lines *thinks* Where are my boots?! would be best said as *thinking* and the one where that guy destroys best said as man or figure. In addition you spelt Yereoc as Yeroec at the dream and at the part where the Inn Keeper greets the two men he should say, "Is there something I can do for you two?" You did not add the last word onto the sentence. If anything, I felt the cut-scene was not evolved enough to deserve a perfect rating overall, the story still left going and the viewer waiting to see what happens next. 4.0

CONCLUSION: newIdea, this is a work of art. I hope you retain the beauty in this scenario in the ones following. I eagerly await the sequel!

In a word - Wondrous.

In conclusion - A must download!

[Edited on 08/03/15 @ 03:14 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating