Single Player Scenarios » Wolves in the Ice

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Wolves in the Ice

Author File Description
NightmareWraith
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
You Start off with a pack of wolves and their leader, you must feast before food runs out, plus animals+starvation=BLOODLUST

You have the nova rangers on your side which are powerful archers the use the land and nature to their advantage, you can also ally yourself with other packs of wolves and feast upon the villagers of this land.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Count_Ludenhof
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 3
Set in a snowy mountainland of no certain time/place, in this scenario your aims are to collect food by killing animals, or to kill a king called the Old Bear. You start the game with some wolves, and aquire elite longbowmen, some upgraded to 'arctic archers', as you go.

Exploring the landscape and visiting interesting towns was fairly entertaining; however, there was too little to do, with most of the game spent moving across deserted wilderness.

Sometimes you kill a, horse, or deer, and get no food, which is odd. Your force can also easily become overdominated by archers.

Balance: 2
Balance is an issue here - the scenario is much too easy. There didn't appear to be enough food available to win by collecting 1500 food, and the old bear resigned when I killed his soldiers, tower, and gatehouse. I consider myself to be a relatively poor player and I found this scenario distinctly lacking in challenge. There's little doubt about whether you're going to win.

Creativity: 3
The scenario is creative enough. There are occasional bits of dialogue, a little battle that materialises before you on one occasion; it was a pity that I couldn't get the wolves changing hands trigger to work. One thing I had expected from reading the scenario description which wasn't present was a trigger reducing your stockpile of food as you went through the game. This would lend some urgency to the scenario and help with balance.

There was a music file included with this scenario, but nothing of it played in game.

Map Design: 4
The map is nice enough - basic random map style, with a lot of use of cliffs and rocks to create a carefully designed landscape. A few chunks of the map are cut off, which is a good thing as it stops you from having to do too much walking around needlessly.

Story/Instructions: 3
The instructions are fairly clear, consisting of two lines - get 1500 food, or, kill the Old Bear. Unfortunately, whilst a storyline of some sort is heavily suggested, the designer hasn't even given names to most of the players - an allied pack of wolves appeared as "Lord Henry Percy", another pack of wolves was apparently led by Barbarossa. There are no hints and a message about wolves "to the west" seemed misleading.

Additional Comments:
This was a fairly short scenario, and was a pleasant enough way to wile away some time; however, it lacks challenge and going to the effort of giving a proper name to the villages and wolf packs would really have improved the impression this scenario makes on you.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0