Single Player Scenarios » Guard our fort UPDATED 2

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Guard our fort UPDATED 2

Author File Description
cnzwz1010101
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
A very small campaign,made by 10*10 map.FF style,about 10min game time.translate from other language by a software,so not so good.My first campaign!

Thanks to Dantares IV!
The spelling must be much better than before!
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
cnzwz1010101
File Author
Post a review,or least a comment please.
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
This is a simple and creative campaign. The unique thing about it is that it is really tiny... just defend a tower that's it.
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
'Guard our fort' is a simple and short campaign, yet very effective in demonstrating how much can be done on such a tiny map.

Playability: 4+

I found this game very enjoyable. You start with an elite T. knight, a halberdier and 3 longbowmen. As you keep killing the enemy units you receive gold , using which you can keep training more units, and you have to defend your keep tower until you kill 80 saracens. The gameplay is very quick and though repititive, includes surprises like elephants, cavalry arriving etc. The total game time for me was 5 min( on fast), which was just the right amount, more would have been boring. From review guide: A great 5 minutes should score much higher than a mediocre 2 hours. And I will say this was certainly the best 5 min I have played.

Balance: 3
The game is not very hard, but not easy either . Your Keep tower has only 23 HP so it can get knocked down very easily. By garrisoning longbows in the tower and using the right units it is not hard to win, though.

Creativity: 4
The idea of defending the fort is nothing new, but the ability to do it on such a tiny map is unprecedented. The Saracens and crusaders are represented by the right units, and includes occasional things like elephants.The author did include tasking the units away from their spawning spots, thereby adding to gameplay.

Map Design: 4
Well for map design.. there was hardly any map! just a 10x10 patch of tiles. However this was excellently designed with trees, palisades in the right position and not too much eye candy which would have ruined gameplay. The map served it's purpose well, therefore it gets a 4.

Story/Instructions: 3
This was the most difficult thing to judge. Granted that there were a lot of instructions, the language (because it is translated) made it difficult to understand. I will provide a better translation of it:

Victory condition: kill 80 saracens
Lose condition: let your keep be destroyed or your whole army is lost.

Every time you kill 5 saracens, you will get 500 gold for expenses, however after you kill 40 people, you will get gold only after you kill 10 saracens subsequently. You can use this gold for training units by clicking on the corresponding cyan coloured units to the right. Don't occupy the rugs( spawn spots) or units will not be created.
price: 200 gold halberdier, 300 gold longbow, 500 gold E. Teutonic knight.

There is no story however, so the score is 3.

Additional Comments:

It is amazing how much can be fitted into a map of just 10x10 tiles. You must download and play!
Dantares IV This is a VERY interesting map. However, if you are interested, I can do a spell check for you. I do it for people all the time.

I also had no idea such a small map could be made.

[Edited on 02/13/07 @ 06:52 PM]

VonCorgath It may have been short, but I enjoyed it greatly. I must say I lost the first couple times I played, before I realised I should place the longbowmen in the tower. Balance is pretty good and while the map is only small, I think you've designed it very well, utilising all the space effectively. A fun game!
Dantares IV MAN!! It is really hard to play this game on hard!
Dantares IV
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
I found this game to be totally playable. Though, if you do not use the correct tactics, you are sure to fail. I liked how you had the Catafract appear on your side, but the enemy will get the elephant and even worse than that, the four or five Jannasaries.

Balance: 4
I think when you start the game off, there should have been maybe one more Tutonic knight, or two more Halbridirs. Also, the fact that the tower is so weak is a problem. A Jannisary only needs about two or three shots, and the tower is down! I think it should have more like Fifty health, and maybe a little more attack. The rest of the game was fine. I also liked the good job you did with the getting more men part. Some games have it where you can get gold or men for ridiculous prices; but this is challenging. You have to know what type of unit you should buy, and also, to sometimes save you money so you can buy better men later, or to use the money in case of emergencys, which happen all the time, especially on hard.

This is a VERY creative map. The storyline is nothing new, nor the system of buying men, but the small amout of room for the map you have is definately new. I have never seen a map so small. I did not even know so samll a map existed also.

Your map design was fine, except that I found the fort to be rather bland. It did not look like a fort to me at all, more like a fence. Maybe I am being too harsh here, but I think I am right. The outside part of the fort was well decorated though.

Story/Instructions: 4
Well, though the spelling is corrected, You still do not have a good history on like what crusade period this battle is during, also you repeated the scenario instructions in allmost every part of the intoduction instructions...etc...

However, I upgrade this to a four.

Additional Comments:

Well, this is a good game. I have enjoyed playing it, and I hope you will take the advise given to you from the reviews you have recieved.

Good luck with this game,

Dantares IV

[Edited on 02/28/07 @ 07:36 PM]

cnzwz1010101
File Author
Sorry for my bad English...
I am glad you to do a spell check for me.

[Edited on 02/16/07 @ 09:03 PM]

Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5

Guard our fort is pure enjoyment. You get directly into the action and you have to defend the small base you have. At the first try its very hard and lmost impossible to win. But when you garrison your longbowmen in the keep, everything goes very easily.
The scenario is original, its simple and easy to learn and very funny to play, challenging and entertaining. A must download for anyone that wants a funny minigame to play over and over again.
This scenario is a good example in how simplicity can be much better than complex systems.
A clear 5

Balance: 4

The balance is not the best. At first try its very easy to lose, but when you garrison your archers in your tower, victory is close at hand. The higher levels brings more action to it and makes it harder to win, but its still rather easy to win, as long as you know what to do. Not garrisoning the archers is the worst thing you can do, this way the saracens can kill all your soldiers off when they get inside your base. Having archers in the tower gives you extra defense and security. You wont risk having no soldiers left on the ground, making you lose.

For a 10x10 units map, this scenario is very creative. Not that it comes with any totally new or rarely used things, but that its original. Defend the spot scenarios are common, but on this kind of small map and to buy units for gold, that is creative.
However, apart from that there are no creative things in the scenario. Then again, its a mini scenario, what more can you ask for? An original idea and a simple unit buying system? Of course a few things more could have been good, but its still very good.
Therefor a 4

Its very important to have in mind that this scenario is very small, 10x10 units. Therefor its very hard to rate it in map design.
The design is better than a random map, but it has no direct eyecandy. It has elevations and a little mixed terrain and it looks not bad at all. So I give it a 4, there is not much more to say. Some more mixing would be nice though, but thats all.

Story/Instructions: 4

Well, the story is very simple and often used, defend a spot and the player plays the crusaders. These two combined is new to me however.
Even if the story is very light and the scenario is more concentrated on the fighting than the story, it's still there. You and the crusader forces must defend your fort from the saracens. Thats it. But it still gives prespective to the gameplay and makes it much better than if it had been "Your base is i danger! Kill all enemies to win!!!!!!!!!" or something that simple.

The instructions are sparse, but you dont need more to understand the game and what to do.

So a summary would be: Its not a very detailed story and it could have been better, but the instructions and the basic story that actually exists is enough to understand what to do and why you do it. So a 4, could be better, but its still very good

Overall 4.2

I think you deserve it, its a very simple but yet very entertaining scenario, so the score is fair according to me

Good job!

[Edited on 02/24/07 @ 10:28 PM]

Dantares IV Could I have your e-mail so I could send you the file?

Of if you don't want to reveal your e-mail address in public, send me an e-mail at bljlemieux@verizon.net
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance3.8