But steady are the horse’s hooves
Upon the wind blown grass
As they travel, horse and rider

There is no trail that they follow
No path that can be seen
There they travel, horse and rider
Upon the endless blowing green

Story
On his long journey home from school after a fight which will surely lead to his expulsion, Kragan G'ladheon ponders his future as he trudges through the immense forest called Green Cloak. But his thoughts are interrupted by the clattering of hooves as a galloping horse bursts from the woods, the rider slumped over his mount's neck, impaled by two black-shafted arrows. As the young man lies dying on the road, he tells Kragan that he is a Green Rider, one of the legendary messengers of the king, and that he bears a "life and death" message for King Zachary. He begs Kragan to carry his message, warning his not to read it, and when Kragan reluctantly agrees, he makes Kragan swear on his sword to complete the mission "for love of country." As he bestows upon Kragan the golden winged-horse brooch which is the symbol of his office, he whispers on his dying breath, "Beware the shadow man..."

Kragan's promise changes his life forever. Pursued by unknown assassins, following a path only his horse seems to know, and accompanied by the silent specter of the original messenger, he himself becomes a legendary Green Rider. Caught up in a world of deadly danger and complex magic, compelled by forces he cannot understand, Kragan is hounded by dark beings bent on seeing that the message, and its reluctant carrier, never reach their destination.

Features

Stunning Map Design
Spectacular music
Cool Sound Effects
Night Scenes
Dramatic Cut-Scenes

Data Editing
This prologue does contain an edited dat file, so I strongly suggest you back up your own dat file (just rename it something else).

Enjoy

Lance O Lot

Pages: « First « 1 [2] 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Sword of Storm without the .dat file the woman cannot walk through the bamboo.
S3XP3RT Great cutscene mate. I only found one tiny problem to this fantastic cutscene. The woman running away with her baby out of the house goes all the way round into grass1. Is she supposed to go through the nice eye-candy full part? I would expect so because you have to wait quite a while for her to get there? Not trying to bring you down, just a minor thing. Its the second best cutscene I've seen so far.
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Pacing5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
‘Green Rider’ is a cut-scene to an unfinished project, a prologue that is possibly the author’s last submission to the Blacksmith. The story is an adaptation of Kristen Britain’s ‘Green Rider’ novel and captures the life of an abandoned babe in a well, and the malevolent ‘Shadow Man’ who kills innocents to dismiss a prophecy about a ‘rider’ rising up against him. While the cut-scene remains only a prologue, it is so far promising, but sadly for a scenario that will never be completed – the project discontinued. Still a tale of intrigue and mystery is brought forth, together with outstanding artistic merit.

PLAYABILITY: (4.0) -

Playability is the determining category for how well the reviewer enjoyed something, and I must say I really enjoyed ‘Green Rider’. As if the visuals weren’t good enough, the music and sounds were captivating and the story intriguing. I liked that while one story was being told, just beginning, another was ending with a murder in the night. Events unfolded and connections developed. I felt the power and emotion of a baby being retrieved from a well under beautiful music, and the darkness of the land around, of a menacing power stirring –of the innocents being murdered. My experience was truly a powerful one, but more or less a little disappointing to see that the author has discontinued the project. More little other things brought me to my disappointment, however, such as the lack of final polishes to fix various playability inconsistencies, but mainly the encountered bug whereby the patrolling of two characters at the beginning of the cut-scene malfunctioned; basically the two units not stopping at their designated area and instead walking back to where they started. For this the story did not continue the way the author intended, and I was forced to restart so that the cut-scene would function accordingly.

BALANCE: (5.0)

Balance does not pertain to cut-scene scenarios, instead having effect only over playable scenarios where the balance of difficulty is decided and where the author intends for the player a struggle to survive. Instead a scenario such as a cut-scene whereby the player is not expected to struggle, and where the viewer merely sits back and watches as the story unfolds is awarded by review guidelines a perfect rating to justify, and not punish, for its movie merit.

CREATIVITY: (5.0)

The creativity of this scenario was exemplary. The music and sounds were well chosen and applied, the scenes presented very nicely and the map design with passable bamboo excellent. The well was a nice addition together with the mansion centering a lush, overrun field and the title with sounds of arrows. Additionally the ship scene with thunder and rain and sputtering water was creative, unseen in my experience, and the night scene with fog drawn over units looks good and realistic.

MAP DESIGN: (5.0)

The map design was beautifully crafted, atmospheric and a joy to look at. I liked the realism, the sense of rain and mud, and the lushness of the trees and undergrowth. The gusting sea was good and the town and wharf, nestled within the hills, looks very nice. Here I particularly enjoyed the map copying and placement of buildings. Other places set in the countryside were awesome with nicely placed flowers and plants, trees and hedges and creepy-looking roads. The use of elevation was nice and the tower sitting on top of a snowy hillside, though perhaps could be a little better, still keeps consistent with the dark atmosphere that is around the story.

STORY/ INSTRUCTIONS: (4.0)

Here the category has both a good and disappointing side. The story was powerfully moving, well told and a joy to watch. The instructions were ample, and I even found a little something in the Scouts screen. Nevertheless, the instructions and hints screen seemed to be lacking grammar and I found no bitmap which, though just a comment and causes no deduction, I still felt would certainly improve the score let alone compliment the visuals even more. Some sentences toward the end of the cut-scene were a little disconcerting, with other text messages lacking grammar. All of this seems as though the cut-scene was rushed toward the end, lacking playtesting on the author’s behalf and the final polishes needed to round a scenario off. Additionally the story is an unfinished one, discontinued –my enjoyment and understanding of the story never to be fulfilled.

CONCLUDING: ‘Green Rider’ is an emotional, well-directed and powerfully applied cut-scene. If only the author had taken that extra bit of time to polish off his scenario the results could have been better. Still I strongly recommend this cut-scene to all cut-scene enthusiasts and to those still who appreciate good stories, good music and good visuals. ‘Green Rider’ is without doubt an artistic achievement.

NOTE: The file comes with a .dat file and it is absolutely imperative that it is used. Without its use certain novelties such as walking through the bamboo fields will not work.

In a word – Powerful.

In closing – A must download.

[Edited on 03/24/07 @ 03:51 AM]

Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
Yeh Mashek I noticed that. S3XP3RT look at previous post. ie use the modified .dat file (backup your original by changing the name and put the given dat file in your data folder.)
Lance O Lot
File Author
yea guys, for now I'm taking a break from AoK. I wish you all well.

Lance O Lot
Dantares IV Another designer leaves AoKH...wonder if in a few years almost everyone will have left.
E Prime WOW nice, good job. You were right stunning map graphics.
Impeached
(id: MeGaIdIoT)
"Another designer leaves AoKH...wonder if in a few years almost everyone will have left."

People, leave, people come.
VonCorgath An excellent prologue Lance O Lot!
A gripping little tale with some great music and sfx. Nice work! :)
Wyo_Daniel Excellent sound effects, VERY clever lighting effects.
Very intense / gripping story line.

Gj, Lance. :D
Pages: « First « 1 [2] 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown