An Eskimo Tale

Author File Description
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Role Playing Only
An Eskimo Tale

I made this game on a sudden inspiration as I don't think anyone has done this topic before. This is my first attempt at making a snow map. I have also tried out some tricks like killing deer for food etc.

You play as an eskimo (also known as Inuit) and you have to rescue your friend from the Red Indians and then embark on a quest to kill a great snow monster.

Explore the Alaskan lands and enjoy! Post comments, and don't forget to review.

Updated! Better terrain, smoother dialogues, added scenario bitmap and fixed a few bugs.

Note: Anti cheat updated. Now you only lose if you have 1000 food.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance3.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
An Eskimo Tale is a not-so epic story with many funny and creative aspects, a recommended download for everyone.

PLAYABILITY: 5
An Eskimo Tale is a rather short and not so epic story about an Eskimo, aka Inuit, setting off to save a tribe member that has been caught by the Red Indians. On the way he meets lots of strange and funny people. Vikings that has lived in the area since the days of Erik the Red, an ally Indian tribe, the enemy Indians, Russians and Americans spying on each other, Eskimos.
The gameplay was highly enjoyable. My expectations before playing where low, since the author had described the scenario as a quick made scenario. I must have misunderstood him, this looked like something he has definately put down work on.
With many creative aspects in the game, a funny story and many humorous details, this is going to get a 5. I certainly enjoyed everything, and I will give it a 5 here. Great job!

BALANCE: 3+
The only bad part of the game. The battles where either really easy or nearly impossible and it made me a little frustrated. The wolves where very strong one by one, and the wolfpack was impossible to kill.
The Indians where very easy to defeat but the snow monster was well balanced. I had 3 men surviving, janissary, the Inuit and Yuepue. The others died fighting, both the Viking and Jim, the strongest ones.
There are anti-cheats to prevent people from getting more recourses. This is good since it prevents people from being lazy when playing. However, I give this category a strong 3 because of some problems. For example, the indians are very easy to defeat, the snow monster could be a little harder and the wolfpack is almost impossible to defeat.

CREATIVITY: 5
This scenario is, as I see it, focused around creativity. It introduces a theme I've never seen before, with eskomo's and the Alaskan nature.
Apart from the theme, there's food-, wolfskin- and moneymetres. Metres are mostly featured in RPGs, though not in all. Quite many lack or dont use metres. So this is also creative, and not too common either.
Then there's the American vs Russians humour which makes the game very funny. There's KGB and CIA agents and nuclear subs on many locations, and what they say is mostly funny.
Then we have a cave, boars symbolising walruses, freezing when you're out of food, a snow monster, the need of making horses stampeed to get the indians into other thoughts and more. Also, the terrain is not very detailed or cluttered. Instead, it makes perfect sense and it's pretty realistic map of the Arctic.
Therefor I find it obvious that it should score a 5 here, because its VERY creative!

MAP DESIGN: 5
The map design was quite unceartain. Many areas were flat and had but one terrain, snow. But then it's supposed to be Alaska and there's loads of snow there. That only makes it realistic. The eskimo town is situated in the middle of the snow, on a hill, and looks quite good and realistic. The yurts symbolising igloos is a plus.
The forest and so is well mixed, and it even has some elevations now, here and there. The cave was well made and the most of the scenario was realistic. The only part I found a bit dull was the northern part, the ice. If it's meant to be a glacier of sorts, which I suspect, it is realistic and therefore not negative, as it would be if it wasn't supposed to be a glacier. (if that makes sense...)
For a summary, the design is by far better than a random map. Overall very realistic, and very suiting for the theme. I think that's enough to score a 5, since it's detailed and suits its purpose very well.

STORY & INSTRUCTIONS: 4
Every story, poor or good, should score a 4. Great stories often score a 5. This is a good example on a funny and unique story, yet a quite shallow one.

The story in this scenario is unique and very humorous. The charactors may not be very deep and the story aint epic or actionpacked. However the theme is all new and with a foodmeter to keep your eye on, you're in the game totally. The new charactors presented are mostly humorous in a way or another and they bring light and warmth to the story. They might be shallow persons, but they're charmy with their stupidity and humour, like the russian scientist and the energic inuit, Yuepue.
And lastly two pluses. First, the history section about the inuits/eskimoes. Very good and filled with facts. Second, you've added a funny bitmap to spice it up even more.
The one thing I can complain about is the shallow charactors. Some more charactorizing would be good, but dont deepen them too much, or it will lose it's comic feeling. I cannot give you a 5 in this cathegory because I dont think this is a great story. Its a good one, but not great.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

But overall, very good.

[Edited on 04/06/07 @ 12:21 PM]

RS Greo0 I enjoyed the part I played, althrough the terrain was bland.

Good Points - Plenty of trigger tricks
- Good civ selection

Negative Points - Food goes down to slow.
- Bland Terrian

Overall, Nice Try.
Artifex Good game. T
Some problems with the rescue. The strategy plans come after I killed a horse.
The unit I had to rescue died most of the time in the fights. Shouldn't it be an objective that he should survive?
Nevertheless a fun scn.
Bigmackorgen I like the Harpooner and the fishing point. A good glimpse of creativity :)

Find much eyecandy even though it was to much snow for the eye. But since it is in Alaska it's allowed. Keep it up!
Jatayu
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thanks to all who commented, and to Lord Basse for reviewing and I don't know when it'll get approved. I'll post an update soon.

Artifex: What exactly is wrong with the rescue?

I didn't put the objective that the rescued unit should survive because I just hate RPG's in which you have 10 units and all of them have to survive and I didn't want to make it one.

Everyone: I don't know why you are finding fault with the terrain. It's the arctic ice cap region, what would you expect to find but ice and snow? Trees, goldmines, broken carts etc would look unrealistic
Bigmackorgen Sword_of_STORM: You can use a small brush and dut-dut "snow dirt" and "snow gras" here and there. More elevations will also make sence. Then you can spice it up with a thin "leaves"-terrain as road or path. It will spice up a bit. Hope this helps :)

[Edited on 03/21/07 @ 02:14 PM]

Artifex @ Sword_of_Storm: I already started with the rescue, by killing a horse. After that, instructions came on how to rescue. The Eagle warrior (I guess) said he would run through the herd to make them stampede.
I guess the instructions should be mentioned a bit earlier.
Jatayu
Official Reviewer
File Author
Artifex, how did you know you had to start the rescue by killing a horse, before you got the instructions? *sounds suspicious* did you peek at the hints?
UnnamedPlayer i got the viking dude and my longbowman then i went exploring.

the berserk found an igloo and got food.
my longbow found some turkeys after a fishing boat.

then they both disappeared and i was left with a janissary in some other town.

i'm guessing that's not supposed to happen.
Jatayu
Official Reviewer
File Author
Uh Oh
You should have already got the jannissary guy actually, if you had attempted the rescue. Then things would make sense.

Anyway thanks for reporting, I'll deactivate those triggers if you don't already have the jannissary.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.7
Balance3.3