Single Player Scenarios » PTC02 - ~The Grecko family~

Download File Post Review Post Comment

PTC02 - ~The Grecko family~

Author File Description
you re good i m good
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Other
Remember to Unzip on Aok folder.Files will go Aouto to their proper folds.Thanks!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
AnastasiaKafka
Official Reviewer
Good Show!
There are some very good and interesting features in your contest map. I liked the neighborhood made of Monasteries the best for visual appeal, and I liked the river through the Gobi desert and it's reference. The plot elements in the beginning were fun, and the triggers were pretty fascinating too. My design advice would be to place Gaia Forage Bush forward of vegetation and buildings as to not have it's outline light behind them. All the best to the Grecko Family designers.

Anastasia
Tsunami Studios
Tom Edwards I must admit, that was pretty good. :D
Possidon
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance5.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions2.0
The Grecko Family is an entry to the 2002 Pretty Town Contest, the first incarnation of our most popular competition. Whilst this entry did not fair particularly well in the competition, it is one of the few entries for the 2002 competition still available in the Blacksmith, and the only entry that was included in the Winner's collection. Therefore this scenario acts as a little piece of history, showcasing a lower scoring design fro the earliest PTC and the ideas behind scenario design in the early days of AOK.

Playability: 3
The scenario takes the player on a tour through the land of the Grecko Family. As you ride across the land you will see the varied landscape form white sand beaches to dense woodlands and a eerily quiet town. In terms of playability the scenario functions as it should, with no intended bugs or side-effects, but thats because there's nothing really to go wrong. There's barely anything going on in the scenario beyond just purely looking at the map design. Whilst the 2002 PTC, unlike todays contest, was purely about map design and aesthetics, the winning entries all still utilised triggers to make units interact and move around. Here though, there aren't even any other units on the map. Just you, and the empty land that lies beyond. Sounds exciting when you put it like that, but actually it's quite boring.

Balance: 5
Not applicable a there is not fighting or cinematic elements to this scenario.

Creativity: 2
As I said before, there's not really much going on in this map. No units to interact with, no dialogue to read, no atmosphere in any sense. Beyond the odd unique blend of buildings and objects, there's nothing much at all that anyone, even in 2002, would have seen as groundbreaking, or even creatively new.

Map Design: 2
If I could some up the map design for this map in one word I would say "average". That is, the map design in itself isn't bad, there is plenty to see and many different tricks and techniques on display, but it is also nothing exceptional. The map showcases a variety of different terrains, from dense forest to sandy beaches littered with palm trees. Theres a decent farmland in the centre of the map with waterways around them and plenty of vegetation to be seen. If anything I think the designer has maybe going a bit too overboard on the flowers, making it seem like he is using them to cover something up. The focal town is interesting. It completely devoid of life and seems to have been built in the middle of a dense forest, whilst there's a massive open grassland just outside with a couple of farms on it. This makes no sense. The town has some nice building layout and designs in it, but it isn't really big enough to make an impact, nor is there enough going on inside it.

Story/Instructions: 2
Unlike modern PTC contest, stories were not judged as a part of the entry and therefore for most of these scenario no such thing was included. However, most entries would still include a little bit of background or dialogue to help set the scene and let the player immerse themselves into the world created. Here though, it is not to be. The file description in the scenario download page will give you a hint of that, nothing there. The title is the Grecko Family, but no further elaboration is given on this family. Does this land belong to family, is the player's character a member of the family? Perhaps the mystery will never be revealed.

Additional Comments:
Overall the a suitably average scenario that wouldn't be worth a second look, unless you are interested in the historical development of the Pretty Town Contest and map design in AOK as a whole.

Possidon

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance5.0