The Frankish Throne - Tsunami Studios

Author File Description
Okami Eimitsu
(id: Sukkit)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Build and Destroy
Number of scenarios: 5
France, 1309. Seven years have elapsed since the day Thierry I was crowned. The new King’s policy has been entirely based on constantly waging war against England, Aragon and the German Empire, in a fanatic attempt to gain remembrance as France’s greatest ruler. That same ambition lies under the King’s most magnificent effort, the construction of Thierripolis, a large city that has become the kingdom’s new capital. And the gem of Thierripolis is St Thierry Cathedral, a vast monument to Thierry’s own glory (now a saint) built by hordes of workers, basically slaves. For in his arrogant madness, Thierry has canonized himself, a move for which a religious schism was required: thus the King created the new Frankish Church, led by the Frankpope in Thierripolis. In his delirium, Thierry I allows no dissidence. Nothing can stand between him and his sublime goal, and those who have tried have been executed or forced into exile. No means are rejected, even if it means that many French towns must be ransacked by the King’s armies.

The people hate him. The clergy, seeing their power greatly increased under the new theocentric State, support him with all their might. But the nobility can change the situation, as discontent rises among them day by day.

Now you, one of the most powerful noblemen in France, have decided something must be done. But, will the King listen to you? Or will you provoke a bloody conflict, a civil war? And will England and our other enemies remain neutral?
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
RaSBert 1 Quite interesting campaign. Though the balance isn't good. You haven overwelming enemy, though that can be due to my inferior abilities. Good campaign though.
Okami Eimitsu
File Author
Probably you're right and the campaign is too hard (I didn't really know because my playtesters didn't respond :(). Maybe I should make the AI a bit weaker for the final version?
crasher I question that review, this being a demo, but it does seem interesting...
Maximun Rexx
(id: Maximun_Rexx)
Eggs

jeje its a joke
Okami Eimitsu
File Author
This is the final version of "The Frankish Throne", updated on Jan. 27th. If you liked the demo check the new version, I hope you'll enjoy it.
Krazy_Karl
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Review of:
The Frankish Throne, by Sukkit

Campaign ID = 1047
Date Submitted = 2002-07-07

Playability: 5
Balance: 4
Creativity: 5
Map Design: 5
Story/Instructions: 5

Review by KrAzY_KaRl - posted on
Ratings: Playability:4.5 Balance:4 Creativity:5 Map Design:5 Story/Instructions:5

The Frankish throne is an accurate historical account of the endings of the Hundred Years War between England and France. You lead the life of a Noble in that war.
And the result is very interesting....

PLAYABILITY: The Frankish Throne is an awesome scenario, It is mainly a B&D but has elements of a FF and the very basic ideals of an RPG in some areas. The game was very fun to play, in my opinion the best scenarios were the first and the last. The gameplay really made you feel like you were actually this man, and you were controlling his life and watching the events unfold around him. I liked the little things such as when villagers talk to each other and the soldiers patrolling in towns, its all very realistic and definately enjoyable. 5

BALANCE: The Frankish Throne was a fairly well balanced campaign, yet on several scenarios the difficulty was a bit overbearing. 4

CREATIVITY: There are several reasons why I found The Frankish Throne very creative.
firstly, I had seen things in the campaign I had never seen before. The whole concept of leading the Noble in the first scenario is almost magical. It feels like I had been connected with him, and that you care about his wellbeing. That all sounds a bit weird. But thats the kind of creative vibe you get from the game. 5

MAP DESIGN: By far the map design in The Frankish Throne is the best I've ever seen. Every inch of the map has been given great detail. The cities and towns look so realistic, and the use of GAIA objects is outstanding. The roads were excellently made, even tiny tiny details were added in. Eye candy was a-plenty. 5+

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS: The whole campaign was very historically accurate. The characters were also accurate and the story was easy to keep track of. Instructionwise the hints, scouts and objectives section were very helpful, and the player was never lost or uncertain. 5

OVERALL: I'd say this is definately the best custom campaign I've ever played, and i recommend everyone to try it.

[Edited on 02/22/06 @ 06:46 PM]

Stephen Richards
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
You get your money’s worth with this campaign. There are five playable scenarios, set in 14th century France in which you play on the side of an anonymous French noble as he struggles to wrest power from the incumbent king, through various rivalries, before finally ridding France of foreign intruders. The convincing and comprehensive history probably led the previous reviewer to comment that this is historical but in fact it is a fictional campaign. The first and last scenarios are basically FF style, with the middle three being B&D.

PLAYABILITY (4)
This is an enjoyable campaign with a variety of game styles, objectives, good map design and plenty of good ideas. In the B&D scenarios, although there is inherently a degree of similarity, the objectives are never to completely destroy your enemies so you do not have to tediously wade through endless troops, civilians and buildings. Although there is a fair amount of fighting to be done, the variety of objectives – such as destroy a particular building or person – make the game more interesting. There were one or two bugs or areas for slight improvement. In the first scenario approach at the eastern gate of Saumar did not trigger a diplomacy change (note: this is a known bug which is apparently random and incurable). Also, the relic must be placed in the monastery at the right time, too early and you lose control of the monk, so wait until you are told to do it. In the second scenario, it might be slightly better if enemies became allies after they resigned as they can be a minor irritation. In the third scenario, there is some rather annoyingly repetitive bird sounds and I experienced a little lag at the end. However, none of these seriously detracted from my enjoyment.

BALANCE (4)
I played all five on hard. It’s difficult to give a meaningful overall score because there is considerable variation (on several of these categories I dithered over scoring 4 or 5). I found the first (strong, self-healing heroes combined with patience is unbeatable, although you have to be careful and the final scene in the square does require planning), second (enemies do not attack early much and there is plenty of gold) and final scenarios (providing you take the attack-immediately option) relatively easy. In the third, you face a slightly more aggressive enemy, there is less (easily accessible) gold and you have to fight your way through fairly heavy defences to find your target. The fourth was harder as red attacks fairly insistently, only abating when I took to the offensive, and cyan provided a very stout defence which had me casting worried looks at the size of my diminishing goldpile. (In general in B&D scenarios, I find that even if it is difficult to win, it is much more difficult to lose.) I found the final scenario unbeatable on hard, if the second option is taken, as, after venturing out on the offensive, I was attacked simultaneously by all three enemies. Overall, the balance works out quite well but individual scenarios could do with being made harder.

CREATIVITY (4)
There are a number of creative touches. There is good use of sound effects, e.g patrolling soldiers, and music throughout. There are numerous conversations to be had with people you pass. The execution scene in the first scenario is a nice touch, as is, elsewhere, the priest in the woods, the starting option to attack or build-up, and the weapon of mass destruction (so they were hiding in 14th century France all the time).

MAP DESIGN (5)
Map design is very good, although I believe there is some scope for improvement. In the first scenario, the forest air is conjured up nicely, although elsewhere a minor niggle is that forests are a little too regular, with neat edges. There is good mixing of terrains and use of elevation. The design in all five scenarios is similar, but this is fair enough since they are set in the same geographical area. With the exception of Thierripolis, the town designs were not particularly interesting, a bit more variety and irregularity might have been in order.

STORY/INSTRUCTIONS (5)
Everything here is excellent. As I remarked in the forums, to convince someone that your fictional campaign actually happened is akin to Orson Welles’s feat with his radio broadcast of War of the Worlds. ‘History’ is comprehensive, objectives are clear, and ‘Scouts’ tells you what you need to know. Also, the story builds well. I spotted one or two spelling/grammar mistakes but by no means enough to dock a point.

All in all, a recommended download. Lots of fun, both in terms of quality and quantity.

[Edited on 03/14/05 @ 07:20 AM]

Free Scarler There's a really unique strategy for beating the first map in this campaign. Be warned: Don't read it if you didn't play it yet, you could ruin the game!

Well, it's actually a simple strategy. Simply don't bother doing all the objectives, but play up to the place where you must bring the Archbishop's head back. Then, go into the Square and kill with your Noble all of the pikemen and the executioner. It works! You simply have to run and then attack the pikemen if you've got enough HP again. This can last several hours. But if you manage to kill all of them (like I did), you can destroy all of the gates and kill the remaining pikemen in the city, get the two other heroes (Duke d'Alencon and Guillaume d'Angers) and finish off Thierripolis. That shouldn't be too hard, simply tear every building apart except walls and houses and kill every villager and pikeman you find. Occasionally you can also use the rams found somewhere in the forest in order to destroy Thierripolis's buildings faster. Get past all of the places where it says "armies are not allowed here" or "so many soldiers can't enter the city" by continually clicking the place you want to go. You should also have taken care of all of the bandits by now. If you get control of Tuck and the game says you should bring him to the monastery, DON'T. Tuck will be out of your control as soon as you do and then you'll have to kill him, and you don't want to do that. Anyway, if you got rid of Thierripolis and the bandits, go for Saumur and Cholet next. Use the rams to ram in every building you need to destroy, and kill all of the villagers with your heroes. Next, you have to kill the Royal Army (simply go neutral to him and he won't go neutral in reverse) if they aren't dead already, and then bring your rams to King Thierry and go neutral to him since he won't attack you. Ram in the gates and the castle and kill every light-blue unit you find. Then there's only the French Nobility (yellow player) left; if you made the mistake to let him get control of Tuck (as I did), you must kill Tuck as last since the game will be lost if you kill him earlier. Ram in every gate and every castle you find and don't forget the villagers that stand nearby one of the castles! Also don't forget that there's a yellow castle at the place you started. If the yellow player is defeated, only you're left and thus you have won. By the way, I found out this strategy on the first try.

[Edited on 07/20/05 @ 04:19 AM]

laz123 Monsier Tuck didn't want to speak. Trigger probs. Potentially a brilliant game.
laz123 Well this time Tuck talked, but I couldn't find the relic. Neither could I find relics in the 4th game. But all games were excellent. Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.7
Balance4.0