Single Player Scenarios » DtS07 Adventure Series VIII The Horde

Download File Post Review Post Comment

DtS07 Adventure Series VIII The Horde

Author File Description
Jas the Mace1
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Other
The Horde of the Great Khan approaches!!!

You play as five mercenaries paid to build up, then defend the main valley into the city.
Several short cut-scenes!
Allied help!
Free suicide troops!
Victory is achieved with your final retreat, the kill total is your goal. My best, 676 kills.
First map I've submitted with a bitmap and sound files...Hope it adds to it!
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
I played this and it was quite fun. The map design was pretty good; I especially liked the narrow-ness of the level, with several forts with which to defend from and fall back to. Quite original gameplay. A little odd with units spawning in the middle of nowhere though, but I guess it adds to the fun of it all. Overall good work. Keep it up. Best of luck for the DTS contest.

[Edited on 12/29/07 @ 08:32 AM]

Jas the Mace1
File Author
Thanks Mash B. :)

I used spwaning enemy units in the middle of the action to force the progress down the valley. I used ally spwans to give the player a chance to rack up some kills. I also personally use them to gain a numbers advantage against the Horde so I can break the suicide camels through and destroy the siege.
morgoth bauglir Well, uh, my game crashed in about 20 seconds. I checked the triggers, and they seemed alright, so... I guess my computer is just an idiot.
Tanneur99
Official Reviewer
There are sound files playing in the first 20 seconds. You probably use Windows Media Player 10 or higher together with Windows XP.
Jas the Mace1
File Author
I thought the first sounds I used were 'in game' sounds from the AOK CD. If you are playing from AOK/TC I don't understand why it would crash?? The only out of game sounds I used were included in the download??

Where am I wrong Tanneur?
Dantares IV On my first try, I and my allies killed over nine hundred units. The first fight was over very fast. All these feudal and Castle age units were wiating to get whiped out by Mangudai. As soon as the enemy spawned, my allies broke ranks and charged. They were decimated. I held up inside the fort with the allied commander and two of my Elite archers. I fought well, for a while, but then the gameplay was ruined by some stupid Trebuchets. Trebs always ruin DtS gameplay. Needless to say, the battle ended rather quicly after that.

At the second battle, things went MUCH better. The cliff face had been lined with towers and a Gate was at the entrance. It was not very eye appeasing to see allied units appearing out of nowhere. I mean, where did they come from?! That was a neat battle to watch though. The ally trying to hold the line against a never ending army. They faught stoutly, but finally were destroyed. The Scirmishers had WAY too much Health. The enemy would shoot forty arrows at a guy and he was not killed. Ridiculous. So after a long long long time of just killing. The gate and the towers just disappeared. I don't know why. They had nearly perfect health. There was a short battle between my main army and the enemy, I took the commander and two archers, and walked past the flags. Victory.

You did a relatively good job on map design, though the area outside of the cliffs only had trees and, I think, just Grass 1. The story was average. Nothing worth bragging about, but not anything to be ashamed of.

Overall: An average game. After playing it once, I don't really feel complelled to play it again.

Tanneur99
Official Reviewer
@Jas the Mace1

I meant that morgoth bauglir uses Windows Media Player 10 or higher together with Windows XP. Either the sounds from the CD are corrupt playing with that setting or morgoth bauglir opened sounds in default\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\Sound\scenario and they became corrupt by doing so.

When I used Windows Media Player 10 two sounds of the Joan of Arc campaign, when she passed the two spearmen at the beginning and the one at the broken bridge, crashed my computer. Using sounds from the CD does not prevent computer crashes.
Jas the Mace1
File Author
Thanks for the explanation Tanneur.

I assumed that since the sounds were included in Aok/TC that everybody's computer would already have them in good working order. I thought that I had found a way to include sounds without increasing the file size.

Edit: @ DantaresIV: The good towers and walls get destroyed when your ally's towers fall, it cascades slowly through the valley to ensure steady progress by the horde.

[Edited on 01/07/08 @ 04:23 PM]

Dantares IV "The good towers and walls get destroyed when your ally's towers fall, it cascades slowly through the valley to ensure steady progress by the horde."

Very wise of you. From the looks of things, the 'Horde' didn't seem to have much interest in the gate. It only recieved damage from my catapult when shoting at some guys too close to the gateway.
morgoth bauglir Just to clarify, I am using Media Player 11 with Vista, so I guess it might be a wee bit different.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0