DtS07 ~The Outer Rim~

Author File Description
Dantares IV
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
~The Outer Rim~

~OVERVIEW~

It did not seem possible that any army could ever suceed in marching an army of thousands across a barren desert hundreds of miles long and wide and with only a handful of springs in the entire desert. A natual cliff formation with one of the few springs in the entire desert seem to be a perfect place for a small outpost to guard against raiders or even watch out for sandstorms. A Garrison of about 110 men were assigned to guard this little cliff formation. None of these men could of ever dreamed that they would soon make history...

~THAT FATEFULL DAY~

6:00 AM

A watchman is patroling on top of one of the natural battlements of the cliff face. He sees a large cloud of dust out on the horizon. He guesses it to be a large sandstorm. He continued to watch the 'storm' get closer, until he suddenly saw metal glistening in the cloud. He rubbed his eyes and looked again. He swore a few times as he ran to the Lieutenant to tell him of this crisis. The groggy Lieutenant got up and, half asleep, walked, or more like tripped toward the cliff face. His sleepy feeling left him in a moment. His mouth dropped open and he shouted, "Alarm! Alarm! Everyone to your stations! Move! Move! Move!" The army was assembled in a moment. They expected to see a small band of raiders, but nothing could have prepared them for the truth. No one had a clue of what army this was. Their nation had many enemies, though none of the men could think of one clever enough to cross a huge barren desert. The army still had a long way to go before it got to them. As the men had breakfast, the Lieutenant was trying to think about what to tell his men as a morale booster...

~PRESENT~

The enemy is in formation. It is only a matter of time before they charge. The defenders are as ready as they would ever be. Most of those men had taken the job of guarding this cliff fortress because they had been told it would not be a dangerous job, since no extremely large army could EVER cross the desert. The men, however, were still soldiers, and that was an honorable title and would grant them lands an titles when they retired. They never would have dreamed that they would soon be involved in one of the greatest battles their nation had ever had. If any survived, they would rightfully EARN the right to be called, a 'Soldier', but even further than they had ever dreamed, Heros!

~THE STRATEGIC LOCATION OF THE PLACE~

This fortress was stationed perfectly to the rear of their nation. They were practically the 'back door'. So, they were simply a relay station and a base to ward off bandits and raiders. However, it would soon become a national landmark...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for downloading this game. As it is that this is for a competion, it does have a few minor bugs. All of which are mentioned in the 'Scouts' section of the game.

This game was made for Jatayu's (Sword_of_Storm's) Defend The Spot Competition.

I am positive you will like this game, and I have included this list of stuff to expect from the game:

~The game lasts an estimated thirty minutes.

~Contains about 333 Effects

~A desert that looks so real, you can 'feel' the heat coming off it, and upon seeing the small pools of water, 'feel' relief for the 'heat'. To me at least.

~Great archer battles, close call sword fights, and great slaughters.

~Exciting cut-scenes showing the 'emotional' feelings of both commanders, and discussing their plans of defence and attack.

~Great sound effects.

~During the final battle, you will hear some of the most epic sounding music. Fitting the scenes perfectly.

~Finally, A final collision of nearly four hundred units in an open desert. Watch the chaos unfold as you struggle to decimate the enemy and defend your newly arrived ally.

~OH, and as usual, very well written instructions, hints, loss, and victory.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Before I finish, I must tell you: before you rate me, or for the judges that will judge the game, judge it, be sure to play the game over at least two or three times. The first armies are controlled by Agressive AI. The enemy has a mind if it's own. It is not controlled by triggers who will tell it what to do and what to attack every bloody time you play the game. It may do an all out assault on the entrance, spread out it's forces and try to walk over the cliffs, or put all the archers together and try to whipe all your archers off the wall. I have now tested the game close to a hundred times, and am still finding out new tactics that the enemy will sometimes do. Playing it once is not fair to me, or you. Sometimes you might slaughter more of the enemy and thus have an easier game. But if you played it again, you would of seen it to be a close call. The possibilites are endless!

Thank you for downloading and reading all this writing,

and now enjoy, ~The Outer Rim~

by Dantares IV

You need Renaissance installed to play this file.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Tanneur99
Official Reviewer
It crashed my computer with version 1.0c but played with Renaissance, I put the link into your description. Side note, no need to include AI files, they save in the .SCX file but if you do the .AI alone is of no use, to edit one needs the .Per too.
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
Very good game. I finished it on moderate, really tough even there.
Dantares IV
File Author
OH, sorry Tanneur. I completely forgot to mention that.

S_o_S: Thanks. I'm VERY glad you found it challenging. Usually I'm always told I made it too easy.

What did you think of the map design and the music?
Hambone2010 Nice game lot lot better than Last Stand of the Samurai. Great story/instructions and lot more balanced than Samurai scenario. I pulled out a win with 9 men left.Why has this gotten so few downloads,its great.Played on hard and was even better;had 3 men including the Lieutenant.

[Edited on 01/17/08 @ 12:25 PM]

Dantares IV
File Author
Thanks. I'm glad you won with so few guys left. That's how it should play pretty much. ;)
coolscott3 so much stuff comming out with renassance but i dont wanna risk messing my game up :(
Dantares IV
File Author
You should use renaissence. It's a great addition to AoE II. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soon to be added, this won second place in the Defend the Spot Competition!
Hambone2010 Sweet music too,I almost forgot to mention it;especially the teutonic knight part.The map design was good not great.

[Edited on 01/31/08 @ 10:05 PM]

Dantares IV
File Author
Thanks! Glad you liked the music. I love it too. :)

I really would apprciate it if someone would review this. People keep saying what they would rate it, but it would be nice if someone would write one out. :{
Hailstorm65
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
This map is a Defend the Spot style map; and that style it plays wonderfully, I enjoyed the 300 feel of the little area that the infantry must defend at the first. Those archers where amusingly annoying but they cut down on playability a little bit as well as a few minor things but dont get me wrong this is worth the play!

Balance: 4
You have a fort which to defend so it is understandable that you ae way out numbered but parts of it that you need to micromanage may be a little confusing to some players because your archers and infantry are getting attacked at the same time and need to be properly tasked. Also the fall back point may get attacked a little to fast for some players as well. Otherwise is was fair because you could cut down most people before they got to you which cut down most enemy strength. But you had little men usually when the princes waves. started.

Creativity: 4
A map that most would enjoy but a possible morale system or something other neat of the likeness would have made it much more interesting.

Map Design: 3
The map that you play in is pretty uninteresting and even though you tried to blend it in the archway was very out of place looking, imagine seeing a byzantine wonder surrounded by a bunch of dark age houses and 1 terrain (sorry for the rough comparison).But generally for the purpose the fort serves it could have had more effort done into it.

Story/Instructions: 5
As with most of your work this has a very well though out story which must of took a while to make. Although the whole "Imperial army" idea is used quite alot in many scenarios and what would be so important about a small fort? but I wont deduct points for that.

Additional Comments:
A great scenario that could have had more work done to it, but the DTSC deadline was understandable. So anybody whom would like an epic game/battle with a very well thought out reason and story behind why you are fighting would totally enjoy this.

[Edited on 02/21/08 @ 07:15 PM]

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0