Download File Post Review Post Comment

New units and ideas showcase and Genied1 guide

Author File Description
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
New units and ideas showcase

Welcome to the fascinating and crazily addictive world of data editing! I hope you enjoy this little example scenario.

This is not meant to be used as a scenario design utility, as it contains a highly messed up data file. Rather, it demonstrates some of the interesting things that can be done with data editing.

Installation: Back up your original empires2_x1_p1 or ( empires2_x1 if unpatched ) and replace it with the data file included.

Place .cpx file in the campaign folder.

Updated! The tutorial for genie editing are in two html files called part1 and part2. Just click them to view :)

I have also included some of the patch files I used for reference purposes.

Hope this helps you create your own data files!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rocknsteink im not sure if i want to download this. maybe give some examples of what is changed.
Tanneur99
Official Reviewer
Right now it is more a Mod Pack, a game modification than a utility. I am waiting for an update with a document to describe how to do, to make a utility out of it.

Changes, Joan of Arc has wings on her feet, Chu Ko Nu has a wall piece under his feet, trees walk, the Korean War Wagon has an Elephant instead of horses and many others, not suitable as a scenario design utility as it stands now.
Jatayu
Official Reviewer
File Author
Updated! I have included a tutorial on data editing that is in two parts. Hope you find it useful.
FladeX Can I translate this in Russian language?
Jatayu
Official Reviewer
File Author
Of course, if you think you'll get a sufficient number of readers to make it worthwhile :)
Dantares IV Someone should translate it to German and put it on that German site. The one where Richards gets those great games like Halfdan or however you spell it. Just a thought. :{
Mr Wednesday
(id: matty12345)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0
Rating: 5
This modification was submitted as a utility, and as such is a great submission. The documentation that comes with the file is probably the simplest and clearest guide to DAT editing available. It is very informative while still not being intimidating, and the abundance of quality examples available in the editor helps understanding the tutorial immensely. The units created for the file range from novel to quite advanced, and all are well done.

The only slight drawback is that currently most people have moved from genied1 (the program the tutorial is written for) to Advance Genie Editor (AGE), making much of this tutorial at first seem now not as useful. But a solid understanding of genied1 is very important still even though the modder may use it less. There are still things that need to be done with genied1, and the tutorial will still help the person who only wants to use AGE better understand what it is they are doing.

Additional Comments:
As someone witha lot of experience in dat editing I was still able to get quite a few things out of the documentation, and saw many things in the dat file I never thought of. It is ideal for those who have fooled around with AGE but now realize they need a better understanding of basics, or even for those who have never done any modding but would like to start.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty5.0
Quality/Instructions5.0
Statistics