Download File Post Review Post Comment

Forest terrain editor

Author File Description
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Forest terrain Editor

This .dat file utility will enable you to create forest terrain more easily. When you draw terrain using large brush sizes, the forests formed will only have a certain number of trees on it, rather than the whole of the square becoming the forest. This automates making the forest terrain to some extent.

Use

Whether a tree will be placed on the map on not when the terrain is painted depends on certain percentages that I have adjusted as given below. Eg 50% means that in a 10x10 square you will have around ( not exactly, it is a probability ) 50 trees and the rest will be normal leaves terrain.

Oak forest - 45% oak trees
Palm desert - 40% palm trees
Pine forest - 50% pine trees
Snow pine forest - 40% snow pine trees
Jungle - 75% jungle trees
bamboo - 80% bamboo trees
Shallows - 0.8% sea rocks ( because I felt like it and it looks good )

I was planning to modify other terrains too but found it would be cumbersome to the designer. Note, the 'Forest' terrain ( which is basically a copy of Oak forest ) is left unchanged. You can fill in gaps using this if you want to.

I think this will be useful not only for newbies who draw big square blocks of forests ( that hurts to look at ) but also for experienced scenario designers as it makes terrain blending easier.

Compatibility

This is fully compatible with other data files and scenarios made with other data files. That means you can play scenarios made with this file with the vanilla Aok. Conversely, you can also play scenarios designed with vanilla Aok with this file.

If you want to use this along with another edited data file, say renaissance, you can do this:
1. Design your forest with this file and save it as say scenario1.scx
2. Quit AokTC and switch data files to the Renaissance one
3. Open scenario1.scx and add units and triggers. However this will not be readable any more by the forest terrain editor file.

Random maps: If you play random maps with this, the forests generated will have gaps in them. This may probably cause it to be incompatible for multiplayer.

Installation
1. Open the 'Data folder in AokTC and find the file empires2_x1_p1.dat ( or empires2_x1.dat in case of unpatched) and back it up ( usually by renaming it to something else )
2. Copy the empires2_x1_p1.dat file in the zip to your data folder.

Hope you find this useful, I certainly do. Credits to Ykkrosh and scenario_t_c for Genied1.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
viperiv
(id: EpIc CoMmandeR)
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty4.0
Quality/Instructions4.0
Rating: 4
This utility is helpful in terrain mixing and creating realistic looking forests, it's not the greatest utility in the world but I think this is a good download for beginners to scenario designing

Additional Comments:
As said before: A must download for newbie scenario designers.
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
Official Reviewer
File Author
Thanks, EpicCommander for the good and to-the-point review.
MrBlack103 This is, as pointed out, only useful for newcomers to map design. However, it has one unexpected advantage: When playing a random map, the forests are placed as in the editor using this utility. It's not much, but it's why I keep this permanently installed most of the time. ;)

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Usefulness/Novelty4.0
Quality/Instructions4.0
Statistics