Download File Post Review Post Comment

Mod Workshop

Author File Description
Jatayu
(id: Sword_of_STORM)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c

Credits to Julius999 for the name

Modworkshop is a console program intended to provide an alternative to Mod Pack Studio for graphical modding. It also provides a few more useful features that MPS does not have.

This is an open source project, so anyone can contribute to it if they wish. It is licence under GPL.

Advantages over MPS

• Does all that MPS can do and better.
  • Will work on all computers and operating systems. Since it is written in Java, you will need Java installed on your system. Will be platform independent and not need to have Aok installed.
  • Will not have any nasty bugs or crash every now and then.
  • Can work for any SLP based game, ie. Aok, SWGB, AoE
  • Can change frame numbers and create SLP's from scratch.
  • Provide a palette converter and a few other useful things.

Disadvantages

• Command Line interface. No fancy GUI.
  • No automatic installer. Will need to install using NSIS install script method. Since MPS installer sucks anyway I don't think this is a problem. However there is an install script generator.

Version History

1.5: Current version. Has the player colour bug fixed. MWS can now write SLPs of any size, but 100mb RAM is taken by slpwriter. Updated readme.

1.4: Third version

1.2: Second version. Has renaming, csv editor, install script generator and improved functionality

1.0: First version

Hope you can get it to work. You need to have java installed on your computer to run it. You can get it from Sun Java's website ( just google it ). I can't include the link because it is not allowed apparently.

(Download JRE because that's a lot smaller download)

Support

I will be improving fixing this program for as long as I can, so please report bugs and errors if you find any :)
  • Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »
    AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
    Ilmarinen
    (id: Cilibinarii)
    Looks neat, probably the best file posted since weeks :)

[Edited on 05/24/08 @ 10:09 AM]

darklon7 I noticed the primitive aoe1 axeman in the picture =)
    Mr Wednesday
    (id: matty12345)
    Staff
    Official Reviewer
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Usefulness/Novelty5.0
    Quality/Instructions5.0
    Rating: 5
    When it comes to the utilities available to the modder, few have more uses and areas of influence than MWS. Until the creation of this utility, the modder had one choice, MPS, which while powerful has some flaws and more than a few limitations.

MWS overcomes many of the bugs in MPS, most notably the "white boxes of doom", as they have been dubbed. Outside of just correcting bugs, it also has abilities that are new, such as a renaming program for frames, an ability to work more efficiently with palletes, etc. But the biggest ability is the ability to write SLP's. Previously, modders used MPS, attempted to find an slp with the right amount of frames, then changed the frames to their frames and exported the SLP. This work around only worked for exact frame number matches and was cumbersome anyway. MWS allows for writing an slp given the frames and anchors, saving time and hassle.

There are many many more uses, but suffice to say that if you plan to do any serious modding you will want to add this program to your collection of utilities.

One of the best things is it does away with the buggy modpack, replacing it with the more professional approach of the custom installer. The custom installer looks better, and does not run the threat of leaving you needing a reinstallation if the game crashes.

The QUALITY of the utility is also very high, it is well layed out, the menus are clear, all is quite ordered. There is no flaws with the utility at all; it does have a few limitations for which MPS is still better. Anchors are one example of things easier to do with MPS.

Additional Comments:
    While not a full replacement for MPS, this utility is at leas a supplement to MPS. Those who become more familiar with it may come in time to see MPS as the supplement to MWS.

A wonderful utility. No reason for any deductions in the rating.
    Jatayu
    Official Reviewer
    File Author
    Just a comment- while automatically fixing the transparent background make sure that the bottom left pixel is the 'transparent' color because that is what the program assumes.
    xyfbzi I downloaded, and tried to use on my mac, but all the files were .exe, etc.
    Help?

I have boot camp, so perhaps I could move the file to the windows part of the hard drive, start up under windows, install, and copy it back to the mac side, but I don't know enough about windows to know where to put the file.
    Jatayu
    Official Reviewer
    File Author
    The DRS extractor and NSIS installer are windows specific and will not run on Mac. Since you 'have' windows, you might run the whole thing on windows anyway it is a lot simpler. Use Windows to make and install the mod and then switch to Mac to play.

The platform independence is to ensure that it does not give trouble with different versions of Windows ( eg. Vista ), but the whole thing is still geared for Windows environment.

[Edited on 01/17/09 @ 08:53 AM]

Woad85 This is just liked Modpack Studio.
    This software is very complex to me.
    thiagow I have a question.

I don't know where I should put the files that I download.

I would like where I should put these file tipes:

scx
    mp3

Thanks,
    Thiagow
    Tanneur99
    Official Reviewer
    .SCX go to Microsoft Games/Age of Empires II/Scenario, MP3 to Microsoft Games/Age of Empires II/Sound/Scenario
    Clonehunter This sucks because this almost impossible to use and makes no sense! It has no way to install Mod Packs and doesnt even come with instruction readme or anything! Do not download! Worst wasted space ever!

[Edited on 10/21/08 @ 07:42 PM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
    Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
    Forgot password?
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Usefulness/Novelty4.0