Single Player Scenarios » Through the roads of hell - chapter one

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Through the roads of hell - chapter one

Author File Description
Val the 2nd
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Fixed Force
This campaign will follow a story loosely based on some real chronicles and a historical novel about the fifth crusade. The first mission was intended to be a cutscene for the introduction, but it evolved onto a short playable mission. (it's before the beginning of the crusade, so it contains no deserts, camels, etc.)

This is my first attempt into creating a campaign after some eye-candy and trigger testing, so I will be thankful for any comments concerning my mapping and storytelling style.

The main discussion thread can be found Here
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
paperclip007
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Through the Roads of Hell is a short, introductory scenario about the beginning of the fifth crusade. It's purpose is to set to stage for the rest of the campaign, and it does it's job very well.

Playability: 3+
Chapter 1 of Through the Roads of Hell is a short Fixed-Force style scenario. The single battle it contained was very entertaining. I enjoyed killing the sentries before attacking the main camp and keeping the enemy scouts from reaching the camp.
However, there was one major problem. I tried attacking the camp first, and when the enemies that had been placed on the other part of the map arrived, I automatically lost. I don't know what I was doing wrong, if anything.

Balance: 5
Very well balanced. Attacking the scouts was hard, but not frustratingly so, and the same with attacking the camp.

Creativity: 4
There were several creative triggers the designer placed inside this scenario. They include attacking three sentries at the same time to keep them from shouting, and killing scouts who were riding back to the main camp to keep them from alerting the main force. I also enjoyed the choice between attacking the main camp or the smaller groups first, whether most of it worked or not. My only gripe is that there were no sound effects, and the only music occurred at the end.

Map Design: 5
The map fit the scenario very well. I liked how you could attack the main camp from two different directions, and how there were seperate paths the scouts took on their way to the main camp. The map itself was simplistic, but also very easy on the eye. There was nothing complex, but there were several very beautiful spots. I also liked the buildings the designer created using the Map Copy tool.

Story/Instructions: 4+
The designer told the story of the beginning of the fifth crusade very well. There were a couple cutscenes that were well done, especially the wedding. The directions were clear for the most pary, except at the part where Henning told my to wait for him to get his soldiers. On my first playthrough, I waited for about a minute, and when nothing happened, I went back to my own town. Only then did my own men arrive, and after them, Henning's men. It might have just been a brief moment of idiocy on my part, but I think the instructions could have been more clear at that point. Also, a history section wouldn't have been out of place, but it isn't really necessary.

Additional Comments:
This was a good scenario, and a very decent way to spend 10 or 15 minutes.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0