Cinematic Scenarios » ACSC09 - Olaf the Tardy

Download File Post Review Post Comment

ACSC09 - Olaf the Tardy

Author File Description
TheLaughingMule
File Details
Screenshot:
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Olaf the Tardy is a cutscene scenario, just sit back and watch. It is an old joke told in a new way.

Olaf's story:

Its springtime in Norway in the year 801. Our hero Olaf the Tardy is a young man just entering his prime. Last night he lingered rather late at the mead hall, arm wrestling with his friends. On this fine morning, he awakes (rather late), yawns and remembers why today is a special day....

Follow our hero on his quest as Olaf the Tardy goes a Viking.

1st place in the ACSC09 contest.

Credits:

The 2D waves in Olaf's sea journey were inspired by:
Ocean Waves by Oliver
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=7573

The moving waves idea from:
Waves - how to create ocean waves in AoK by Alexandergreat3
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=5709

Shoreless water map copied from:
Shoreless Water Template by AzN_PaRaDoX
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=5566

Immobile Units AI GOLD by Zanzard Lothar
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=4167

The AoKH University Design articles and the Scenario Design community.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
sissi Great job for a first !
I've already played it many times then showed it to several people : we've all enjoyed it quite a lot.
Well done and thank you so much !
John_G Good dialogues, music and voice acting. Well done. The slow speed worked great in the cut scene. I´m a bit puzzled about the story though, did it just end with the other vikings killing those women and the monk? If so, not much of a story I´m sorry to say. But anyway, apart from the story I enjoyed watching it. A cut scene with voices acting and good music is really great.
TheLaughingMule
File Author
Thank you for your kind remarks sissi. This is my first project and I know it could be improved upon.

Just for clarification, the "story" is a joke a friend told us, and I attempted to make it into a cartoon. It actually ends with Olaf's last (punch) line. The rest was added because there was a battle at the end, which had to be removed per the contest rules. (Otherwise it wouldn't just be a cut scene.) I see how it messes up the "story". Thanks for the feedback.
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
I really enjoyed watching this, TheLaughingMule. Vikings with Canadian accents - it doesn't seem possible. :-p All the more a good laugh. Thanks for submitting. Very nicely done. I hope to see more from you.
YPLegend Nice job. Well done!

YP
Tanneur99
Official Reviewer
I had not a boring second and the cinematic has a good pace, the theme music for the Berserk is fantastic, the design flawless, I like the waves, open see and island, the story is funny and comes with a surprising unexpected happy end, a multiple marriage. :)
fseeker80 lol, TLM, the English girls married the Vikings Raider? lol. All Hail the Vikings Age! Now we know where all those blond bombshells came from. lol

Very nice work TLM :)
Mr Wednesday
(id: matty12345)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Pacing4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
This cinematic finished 1st overall in ACSC09, a great job by TLM!

Playability: 4
This cinematic is great fun to watch; the story and sound effects are all used to create a light and entertaining feel. It is not very long and is well paced to keep the player interested for the full duration. The voice acting is great and gives the cutscene a fresh feeling, while familiar pieces of music are used in some places to convey the emotions you would expect them to. The story or scenes never really blow you away, but everything is done well. THe enjoyment is hurt a little by the overuse of some sound files, which while a bright spot for this scenario are at some points a little overdone. None of the flaws are enough however to stop the cinematic from achieving a good score for this category.

Balance: 4
From the review guidelines "For scenarios with no interactivity, such as cutscenes, this category should be considered purely as another indication of Playability. This achieves a more accurate overall score." Thus this category is also a 4.

Creativity: 5
The style of this cinematic is very unique. The use of the taunts, while at points a little overdone, is a fun and creative idea. The whole story itself is very original, and the way it is brought to AoK makes it feel unlike any other designer's style. Even little details show loads of creativity, like Olaf's personal music theme every time he appears. It is very deserving of full marks here.

Map Design: 5
The design is very good, and it can be seen by the viewer that attention to detail was given in every area. Areas which are hard to design, such as large bodies of water, were still very visually pleasing, thanks to the great looking 2D wave effects, a trick not often used. All the towns were well made and there were no areas which appeared bland or untended to.

Story/Instructions: 4
The story is not meant to be heavy or deep, and does what it attempts to do well; that is, to be funny. It is a touch underdeveloped perhaps, and I would have liked it to have been made a bit clearer in a few spots, but as a whole it is again above average. The instructions and dialogue are all sufficiently clear and grammatically clean, and the overall meaning is conveyed sufficiently enough to warrant a high score.

Additional Comments:
A very deserving win for TLM, and a great entry all around. I reccomend this download to any who haven't bothered to try it out yet.
TheLaughingMule
File Author
Thank you very much Matty for taking the time to review Olaf, your comments are very helpful. I am pleased and surprised my first attempt scored so well, both in the contest and in your rating.
Lord Basse
Official Reviewer
*** This scenario received the award “Best Score (Music/Soundeffects)” in the Game of the Year Awards of 2009 ***

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,39574,0,10
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5