Compilation of Two Player Games

Author File Description
jburnell
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Mix
Number of players: 2 or 1
Screenshot:
Whilst making the Lord of the Rings campaign, I got very bored and frequently came up with little ideas to do as Multiplayer games.
Because they are all so short, I thought that I'd put them all into one file to make the download more exciting and interesting.

In total there are around 10 games, all of which can be played with two players, or many as Single Player Scenarios.
There is a range of game types (e.g. they are not all just build and destroy or random maps). Some games include:
-A Safari Park
-The Mines of Moria
-A game involving lots of Pirates

Like I said, these games were just little ideas I had, and are not meant to be amazing or original etc. I just thought you may appreciate them. I would be grateful to have any feedback, in the form of suggestions, comments or even reviews.
Thank you,
JBurnell

(Have updated the Egyptian game, so you can now cast plagues upon your foes!)
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Popeychops
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity2.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions3.0
This compilation of two-player games is a rather mixed bag. A small selection of the files are considerably higher in quality than the others. I will attempt to address these few files with the scoring, but shall refer to some of the noteworthy inferior files in a postscript.

The rating for this map is based on:
Kill the King
Defend the Wonder
The Park
Pirate
Egyptian Random Map
The New Weapons

Playability: 3
The majority of the files included are Build & Destroy maps with starting armies. In many cases, this is relatively tiresome, as huge armies smash against each other in a game of "spot the overpowered hero unit". However, some of the maps, such as Moria, and The Park try something a little different, with the players given only a single unit, and a challenge to face off against, like an RPG. The nature of the scenario means that the games often become repetitive. Kill the King is a notable exception, and by some distance it is the most fun map included in the game. It adds in a defend-the-spot element, where the defending player has to protect his king from an attacking force.

Balance: 2
Unfortunately, none of these maps can be considered fair. The overwhelming majority gave Player One a ridiculously overpowered start, either through unique heroes with enormous stat increases, increased resources, a regular army, a starting city, age increases for free and in one instance a spawning unit shop which allows access to units Player Two cannot achieve, due to being locked in the Feudal age. In The Park, player one has a Hand Cannoneer with +100 Attack, while player two simply has a regular janissary.

Defend the Wonder, Kill the King and The New Weapons are notable exceptions, and would probably score higher in this category (and most others) had they been submitted individually. Defend the Wonder is particularly praiseworthy, as the players come close to having equal starting forces.

Creativity: 2
Many of the maps have little creative merit. Although some of the files contain significant trigger-work, most are simply (inferior) alternatives to game modes such as Random Map, King of the Hill, Death Match, Wonder Race, Regicide etc.

Map Design: 2
In general, the maps were of similar or inferior quality to a randomly generated map running a vanilla script. Notable exceptions were The Park, which contains a lush jungle forest, and Kill the King, where some of the map has at least been designed with gameplay in mind.

Story/Instructions: 3
For most of the dross maps, no instructions are given. However, most of the higher-quality maps are relatively straightforward and contain adequate direction to at least prompt the players into appropriate action. The quality of the writing is often suspect, as the spelling or grammar is frequently errant. The formatting often leaves much to be desired. Simplistic backstory has occasionally been attempted.

Additional Comments:

One of the most promisingly complex scenarios, Romans, was fouled by a game-breaking bug where the player is unable to meet with a unit in a designated location, because that unit is not tasked to meet the player at that location correctly. While this could be solved if that player was human, the unit belongs to the player three slot and therefore should be a computer player, according to the instructions given for the file.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity2.0