Download File Post Review Post Comment

Keltos - RPG

Author File Description
Dtrungle
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Mix
Number of scenarios: 1
This download comes with sounds and a readme.
Please have a look at the readme because this game requires specific settings to be played.
Play it from Single Player.

For the details about this scenario, go here [http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=st&fn=4&tn=39028&f=4,39028,0,0].

You can gather food from forage bushes or buy it from the market. (20GOLD for 10FOOD)

It may be a bit hard at the beginning but it should get easier.
Save often.

Try to make it to the battle with Kobeth, by then, you would have experience a lot of the features and gameplay elements.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Is this file a demo or unfinished project, otherwise I can move this to Single Player Scenarios if you like?
Dtrungle
Official Reviewer
File Author
You can leave it here, thanks though.

I'm curious on what people think about it as well as if the file size detoured you away.

Btw, why is this file placed before the files that appeared before this file? If the answer is by date, then why did my file get uploaded after the other files? Mods don't check the files by date/submission orders?

[Edited on 10/03/09 @ 01:43 PM]

Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
I downloaded your file last due to my slower Internet connection, and approved it among the last, while approving all the smaller files first. So any problem there is mine, but I could either approve your file when I did or I could approve it much later when the Internet is back up to its proper speed. ;-)

[Edited on 10/04/09 @ 04:23 AM]

Courtjester1 This looks cool, I'll have to download it. Oh BTW if you play this in multiplayer, will saving and restoring cause there to be bugs.
Dtrungle
Official Reviewer
File Author
You can save/load in multiplayer with no problems. However, from previous tests, there are bugs involving the other players.
I've lost interest in this as well as I don't have the time required to work on it. As of now, it's fully playable on SP up till the second boss.

I released this to show everyone what aok has to offer for the RPG genre.
Leif Ericson
Staff
I'm in the process of playing through this. One thing I was wondering is how do you get rings or amulets. Do you get them later in the game, or am I just overlooking something?

So far, it's been a great and fun scenario to play.
Dtrungle
Official Reviewer
File Author
You get the amulet after killing Bane.
IIRC, you can buy one ring, get another ring from the town-game, and get a third ring from a chest somewhere along gameplay. (Sorry, it's been a while)
Popeychops
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 3
Keltos is an RPG similar in many ways to the old game Diablo II. It draws many elements from it, such as durability, Character Classes, Gems and socketed items, potions and shop-trading.
Also like Diablo, it is enjoyable. The game has a food system to stop you sitting around doing nothing, and side-quests to keep you interested. The game forces you to explore, and has varied combat.

Balance: 4
The problem with class-based play on AoK is that ranged units have a huge advantage over melee units. However, the game requires one player to pick each possible class, if 4 people are playing, and teamwork is essential. Regardless, ranged characters have an easier time.

Creativity: 5
Dtrungle hasn't simply copied Blizzard's work, he's altered it completely. Not simply with ideas, but with ingenious implementation of features I would have though impossible. He's even set it up so the settings have to be correct, or it will abort.

Map Design: 4
The map design is sterling, however the crater graphic has been over-used, and there is little variation in sections such as the caves. Much of the terrain appears basic, but when it's varied, its really varied. The towns are excellent, featuring overlapping buildings, however in places this hasn't worked as well as it could have. I'd encourage the creator to see Turtov's "The Latean Project" for inspiration in correcting this.

Story/Instructions: 4
The stroy was well made, with a short introductory cutscene. However, there isn't enough explanation, at one point the player is randomly attacked by a person who has been following them for a while, without warning or reason. The instructions on this part aren't detailed enough, the spells and passive abilities are explained very well, however the actual gameplay isn't mentioned at all.
No hints are given, this space is used to explain the abilities.

Additional Comments:
While the game has, on paper, scored 4.0, it doesn't have that spark required to really enjoy the game fully. It makes it feel like you're trapped inside the world, rather than playing out of choice, and seems like a long slog towards the end.
I reccomend you instead look at the "Diablo III RPG", by the same creator, which features many of the same systems, but much improved gameplay. While being unfinished, its a personal favourite of mine and does not contain any major bugs. A link:

http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=7991
Leif Ericson
Staff
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Keltos RPG is currently unfinished, yet an enormous amount of work has gone into creating it and should give players hours of entertainment. You choose between four classes: warrior, archer, sorceror, and druid, with different abilities for each. You control the hero Darien, who is trying to find a cure for his father's illness. This simple mission soon turns into a complicated quest.

Playability: 4
The game is fun to play, and it includes many RPG elements that generally add to the playing experience. Yet, there are some aspects of the game that detract from the enjoyment of the scenario.

Many of the quests are prolonged and quite challenging and force the player to improve the character more before they can get past them. The scenario can turn into a slog at these times.

Some of the quests, especially those within Kobeth's fortress, are quite hard to figure out, and without any comments on these quests in the hints or the instructions, the quests may make players frustrated.

However, the triggers are perfect, and with a scenario this large, that shows a lot of effort on the designer's part.

Balance: 4
The game has pretty good balance, and work has gone into making the enemies just right. However, the enemies at the beginning are quite hard, and if healing potions are not used, this part of the scenario becomes nearly impossible.

The fight with Kobeth is nearly impossible in my opinion. Some of Kobeth's spells, such as Fire Whirlwind require luck to survive them and do not really depend on the player's skill.

Creativity: 5
This is where the designer's skill shines. Many of the puzzles and quests are quite unique and should add to the enjoyment of the scenario.

Map Design: 4
The map design is good and adds to the scenario. However, the design lacks the true "wow" factor of a beautifully designed scenario. Some parts of the scenario, such as the caves and sections of the town could have looked better.

Story/Instructions: 4-
The scenario includes perfect instructions on all the objectives in the game as well as details on almost all of the powers, abilities, and items that play a role in the game. However, the scenario lacks instructions and hints on different parts of the scenario. There are parts of the scenario where the player might not know how to get past. It is the lack of these instructions and hints that can be the most frustrating part of the scenario.

However, for the most part, the instructions are good and are adequate for what the scenario needs.

Additional Comments:
Keltos RPG is the work of tremendous effort and weeks of playtesting and trigger work. The effort shows in the scenario, and it should provide hours of pretty good enjoyment.

Happy Playing.
dudaefj Dtrungle, wtf!? This game is almost perfect man!!
I not just played it a lot of times but I saw carefully a lot of triggers, Im really impressed

This rpg has just 3 problems:
- Its not on my oficial language (11 just kiding)
- though it was very difficult in the beginning (it is a great quality), it's easy at the end. I mean, easy by the attributes of the units, because we need a lot of inteligence to beat it!! You should enhace the enemy units in proportional our level)
- I didnt finish it yet, but I think that there is no way to beat the Avero's Keep. I mean, I have destroyed the tower, but nothing happened, and I saw the triggers, and, after a lot of time (hehehe), I understood everything that you did (I guess), but the trigger "Destroy Avero's Keep" has no conditions or effects, so, is it impossible? Unfinished?
Unfinished 4ever? or unfinished yet?

so, btw, congrats man... This is really the best rpg that I ever seen.

;)

[Edited on 07/22/10 @ 01:01 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown