Download File Post Review Post Comment

Jengar's Quest

Author File Description
Jecon
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Role Playing Strategy
Number of scenarios: 3
As Qlifrak is sweeping through an undefended Utara, he captures you and your friends, that was his first mistake.
Now you must step into the boots of Jengar, Yaren, Jortan, and Rentar as they try to save their homeland from the relentless invaders.
Pages: « First « 1 [2] 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Jecon
File Author
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. :) Look forward to the review.
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Jecon, as the file is updated, you might like to request Buizel01fan to update his review accordingly to give a more accurate summary of your file.
Jecon
File Author
How would I do that?
Mash
(id: Mashek)
Staff
Official Reviewer
Well, I suppose you could email him or if you don't feel the review represents your file any longer you can even request that it be removed or put back on pending approval until the reviewer updates it.
Jecon
File Author
@Mashek: I don't have his e-mail, but if I did I would.
@swal: When the monk picks up the relic, he becomes 'monk with relic'. And I have a trigger that if you lose that monk is says "go back to Harold" Since 'monk with relic' is not a monk it activates the trigger. To get their allegiance store the relic in their monastery.
swal i didn't lost the monk.. when the monk picks up the relic it says oh great wat are we supposed to do.. with the same monk i go n deposit the relic in the green monastery nthn happens..
Jecon
File Author
Thanks for catching that swal, fixed, file updated.
Popeychops
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
Enjoyable. A combination of RPG and Fixed force: you only get units by triggers and conversions (converting "prisoners" FTW).

Balance: 5
Has everything I expect from a game: made me reload a savegame several times, had a challenge without being impossible. Very well done.

Creativity: 3
Not overawing, but certainly varied enough to keep me playing. More than just a simple RPG, the player is forced to defend a spot as well as roam.

Map Design: 3
The map is rough-edged rather than flawed, a lot of the terrain is blocks of the same type. Eyecandy is few and far between. A little variation of related terrains would make this stand out a lot more, and make the player feel like they were drawn further into the game.

Story/Instructions: 5
An original, well thought-out story that seemed believable and flows well. Rather than knowing exactly where to go, the characters seem to stumble across their path. It makes for interesting viewing.

Additional Comments:
A worthy download, Jengar's Quest will occupy you happily for an afternoon. I will certainly look forward to the completion of the campaign.

[Edited on 02/09/10 @ 04:30 PM]

Jecon
File Author
Thanks for the review, although I have an idea for it, the continuation is on hold for now as I am working on Sands of Blood, when I am done with that I will most likely get to the next campaign line.
Dtrungle
Official Reviewer
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4-
Scenario1, decent scenario with a small FF defending scene and a small skirmish while marching towards 'safety'. This scenario offers a couple of cutscenes - that could be improved upon, it can flow smoother as well as look more appealing. The detection of activating the 'in forest' portion was poorly made. If the four units don't move together, the trigger doesn't fire which screws up the game. A note to the author, after leaving the forest, I went straight to the outpost instead of the town. I'm sure it doesn't affect anything so it's not a big problem. The road blockade was improved upon compared to prior versions. I tried to lure them out and it was much more difficult so I went ahead along the intended path. I played on Hard and the march towards Helmshold was hilariously fun. The masses of jaguars above ran through the deers to attack my villagers, it had an arcade-feel to it. This was the highlight of this campaign to me, and I believe that it wasn't intentional. The gaia animals are very vicious against villagers on Hard by default.

Scenario2, this scenario was not as fun as the first. It composed of a lot of walking around and performing certain quests. Most of the fights were straight forward though there were some that required hitnrun if you didn't want to lose too much units. An issue here is the detection of 'Obtained all 5 districts', I lost one of the leader unit and had to restart all over again. After the scene with the the monk and heros at the ruins, I did not get control of one of the hero. There are two side quests along the way to your final destination which should add enjoyment but once again, it involved a lot of walking and had simple battles. Lastly, the two side quests and the secret paper quest had no relevance to anything. They're side stuff I know but it seemed like they were just thrown in.

Scenario3, similar to the second but I found it more enjoyable. Once again, there is a lot of walking, however, the given archers near the beginning made it easy, or even fun. I moved the squad around like an assassination group sniping everything in sight. There are two problems that should be fixed. The first is with the removal of the rock (that was pushed). I was not close to it and it dissapeared anyways. The second is that the player can garrison inside the towers behind the walls. This is a problem as it's an unintended loop hole.

Balance: 5-
This campaign is not difficulty-dynamic and each scenario has easy to hard objectives. Players will defintely be reloading a few times unless you're the type that plays very cautiously. The harder objectives are not impossible so players won't be annoyed, however, people wanting a challenge might not get one as there are other scenarios that are much more difficult. Every skirmish supplies you with enough units to successfully win, though the finale seemed like you need every unit you can get.

Creativity: 4
The story itself is creative and the names of characters and places were well thought of. The rest of the creativity points comes from the large quantity of quests and objectives. In particular, I enjoyed the sneaking and navy objective.

Map Design: 3+
Decent map design although comparing it to a random map is debatable, Jecon definitely put effort into it. However, there are lots of room for improvements. Terrain blending needs to be worked on more as well as making forests and elevation flow smoothly. Some areas had bizzare eye candy such as the masses of skeletons around the goldmine that's on moss. I noticed a few incorrect uses of terrain and tree types here and there. When you design, think to yourself if it feels real.

Story/Instructions: 4
Disappointingly, numerous typos and grammar problems still exist throughout the three scenarios, however they don't affect the player's ability to understand the story and instructions. Another thing to note is that some of the objectives seems cut off. For instance, it should be "The Joha District will aid you if you retrieve their 10 stolen sheeps and bring them to the pen. The Bandits that stole them are camping to the north" instead of "Bring 10 sheeps to the sheep pen". The story was good and original as far as I know. The events in the story however, doesn't make much sense sometimes. For example, why would a group want you to save their sheeps from measly bandits when they can do it themselves? Further, when you save these holy sheeps, the military forces of the group joins you leaving the village open to be sacked.

Proton Comments: A very good start for a first campaign. Keep improving as you progress and I await your next project.
Pages: « First « 1 [2] 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0