Author File Description
RON PAUL 2016
(id: Turty)
File Details
Version: The Conquerors 1.0c
Style: Mix
Screenshot:
Greetings, SD community,

We are ASDF Inc, and this afternoon, we would like to introduce to you a product we have had in production for the past few months we title The Latean Project. You are probably asking, “What is this project?” After many months of sociological testing, we have been successful in powering our own unique environment, substantial for human living, though being rooted at the very basics of survival.

Within this pseudo-environment, we have enclosed several trials to push one's train of thought, ranging from the very instinctual, to common sense, to some abstract thinking. We believe these puzzles will test one’s skill in adapting to a new place. If one can adapt quickly, one will be very successful in escaping and possibly receiving a prize (that prize we cannot tell you at this moment, you will have to learn yourself).

After many months, we are pleased to announce that this project has been finished and ready for public viewing. Installation instructions have been included in thelateanproject.txt within the .zip file as well as the credits and the such.

Please take the time to download and play this game.

Sincerely,
Turtov
CEO of ASDF Inc.

Many thanks to:
  • RubberMan: Playtesting
  • Cilibinarii: Playtesting
  • Dtrungle: Playtesting
  • PaulC2001: Inspiration and support
  • Julius999: Much support

Stormwind Studios Forum
  • Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
    AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
    Jatayu
    (id: Sword_of_STORM)
    Official Reviewer
    Wow, sounds really cool. Will download and review.
    Fabio A It's been ages since I played something so fun and puzzling in AoE as this. Great job! I only have a problem: I can't get past the gate puzzle, I managed to go around the map and be on the other side, but nothing appears. Am I doing it wrong?
    Selur Very good. After about forty minutes I was able to complete the project. Considering this map is won almost entirely by your intelligence, I find the required time to be very impressive.
    RON PAUL 2016
    File Author
    Hey Fabio A,

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so far. As for your question, you aren't supposed to be able to just walk around the gate (I presume the gate in the town in the east). The problem should be fixed in version 1.1.

EDIT:

Also, thanks Jatayu and Selur. I certainly didn't intend to have one finish it within five minutes.

[Edited on 11/09/09 @ 07:08 PM]

Fabio A Hey, I managed to walk around the gate (yes the east one) because there is some space you can barely see west of the castle with the longboats. It happened because I am very good dealing with secret entrances and hidden passages between trees and rocks (I do that a lot on my scenarios), so I thought that hidden entrance was the way to go around. Also, the Benny Hill theme fits perfectly with what happens xD
    Mash
    (id: Mashek)
    Staff
    Official Reviewer
    This is really quite something. It is amazingly entertaining, original and innovative. I highly recommend downloading this file.
    Guthan
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability4.0
    Balance4.0
    Creativity5.0
    Map Design5.0
    Story/Instructions4.0
    To start off, if you're looking for a huge battle scenario, you are on the wrong location. This is a rather 'peacefull' scenario in which you have to solve some puzzles and, of course, a battle in the end. It's a very small map and I was surprised to see what Turty managed to place all in it, with great detail!
    How fast you solve this map depends on how smart you are, how fast you see through the clues, or how fast you start cheating.

Playability: 4

A 4? This one kept me thinking for a few minutes, but I decided to give a four instead of a five for these reasons:
    - The text disappears to fast. Annoying to interrupt your game to watch what's been said.
    - You didn't make anti-cheat triggers. That disappointed me. I didn't cheat though. I tried it at the food part cause I wasn't sure what to do. I had the idea in my mind with the hunter, but I saved first, and then tried the cheat for food. I could just proceed. At the stone field, same thing. You could just use rock on. But I didn't use it since I kinda knew what to do. But again, anti-cheat triggers would've been nice.

The battle in the end was rather simple, but I've enjoyed almost everything in this scenario. The trebuchet-boat part was kinda funny. But I knew some tactics wouldn't work and which ones would work, so I didn't need any reload here.

Another thingy. At the part where you have to cross the bridge, you are supposed to be trapped by the rocks behind you, but there was still a small passage in the south where you probably forgot to create some rocks. It's not relevant to the scenario, but you might want to fix this?

Another thing you should fix. In the last town, there is a Knight with his Horse. I somehow managed to get both my units pas the Knight so I could walk around on the shallows. The problem is, I couldn't go out anymore. Only my champion could walk out again, but Lucy was stuck so I had to reload my game.

Still, this was a very enjoyable scenario, with a lot of thought in it :)

Balance: 4

I'll rate the final battle later, I'll do the puzzles first.

I'd rate the puzzles 4. Some of them were easy and more for fun, others were harder and force you to think. Hopefully not to cheat like the goldmine on the bridge. I liked most of the puzzles and some of them were neat and cool, like the one in the last city :) Good job on the balance, but it could've been made a little harder since I had no real trouble with any of them :)

Now that final battle...
    The final battle was supposed to be rather hard, but I managed to complete it without any reload. After the cutscene you block off the way to the north with rocks, the flames start going west and the south and east entrances are free to go. Since the flames go west, I went east, ran towards my opponent and killed him. His summoned units couldn't do a thing cause I was there before they were.

Then I looked at their health and attack, and I thought, hmmm, that would've been a nice battle. Low health, high attack, manageable to kill you after a few waves... But that didn't happen to me :)

I know it's hard to make a final battle, but I just think this could've been made a little harder.

Creativity: 5

This project is, no doubt, one of the most creative things I've played this year. Not only some parts of the map design, but some of the puzzles or objectives in game as well! While Turty uses every unit we can use (some slightly edited) he managed to create things like 'Dragon Gate' or a pretty abandonded Brigde and some other forest parts which I thought 'Nice... Well done!'
    And for this, he gets a 5 :)

Map Design: 5

You would be crazy if you didn't rate this 5 :)
    You used Trigger Studio very well, Turty! Thumbs up for that. Very beautiful forest and town parts. I liked the Blacksmith in that last town (forgot the name of it :s) with the siege workshop underneath it. The shallows in the forests without the ugly beaches around it and even elevated thanks to TS were very nice as well. 5+

Story/Instructions: 4

Good story, inventive and well worked out. But I'd like to know more about the people who got stuck there and that Teutonic Knight (forgot it's name :s Dolovan?) that suddenly disappeared. Or the statue, or that lettre? Instructions were good enough to make you solve the puzzles, but vage enough to make you think. A well done job!

Additional Comments:

High recommend download :)

[Edited on 11/18/09 @ 12:51 PM]

Jatayu
    (id: Sword_of_STORM)
    Official Reviewer
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability5.0
    Balance4.0
    Creativity5.0
    Map Design5.0
    Story/Instructions3.0
    'The Latean Project' is a puzzle style scenario minigame in which you have to get through a series of trials. Some of them are simply about micromanagement while others require you to apply your mind a bit.

Playability: 5

The scenario is very interesting and fun to play, the puzzles are challenging yet not impossible, and all the trials are creative. The story is well done ( and the cutscenes which further the story ), and most of the units talk, so even when you're stuck at a puzzle, it's not boring at any point. Also I didn't notice any bugs in the scenario and it wasn't possible to win by cheating either.

Balance: 4

The scenario is well balanced, but I felt that certain parts were won more by luck than by intention. Especially the gate puzzle ( which I won purely by accident ) and the dodging the trebuchets which I felt was rather luck dependant. Still overall it was well balanced, hard without being frustrating. I don't know if there was any difficulty level dynamics, I played on hard. Also some puzzles were really easy ( like the Robin hood one ).

Creativity: 5

I felt that all the trials were very creative, and many used a lot of tricks never done before. Without giving away any spoilers I think that the gate puzzle particularly is a work of genius. Like all puzzles it seems very difficult but once you solve it it seems rather obvious and easy.

Map Design: 5

The map used for this scenario is a very small map ( minimap ), but every inch of it is well designed and functional. It had the right amount of terrain blending and eye candy while not interfering with the gameplay. Definitely a 5 here. However it would have been better with a good soundtrack ( there is some music, but only in certain places, no 'background theme music' ).

Story/Instructions: 3

The instructions were straightforward, but there were no real hints.. well I would really have preferred that some kind of hints/walkthrough would be provided, if not in the scenario then in a different file. Some people might get frustrated if they are stuck.
    There is a story, which sort of fits the scenario, but it is not exceptional, or well explained. For eg. who is the statue and what are it's motives? What about Roman Dolotov? Would be better if the story was not so vague.

Additional Comments:

The scenario is a .GAX file, ie a saved game, so you will have to load it as such, I have no idea why the author made it in such a way because not only do you miss out on the introduction screen, but there weren't any noticeable data editing at all.

Recommended for downloading.
    Guthan Jatayu, there was noticeable data editing.

The gold mine, for example. I don't know how to decrease their amount with triggers. The trebuchets as well. They can't fire so close to themselves so he must've edited their minimum range :)
    RON PAUL 2016
    File Author
    Thanks for the reviews, both of you.

To address the story issue: the scenario was made by dividing the game into several squares, each containing something different, similar to Piece by Piece. Certain aspects of other squares were simply forgotten.

And yes, Guthan pretty much hit the spot on data editing. I didn't want to alienate those who objected to any kind of mods.
    Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
    Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
    Forgot password?
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability4.8
    Balance4.5