Please login or register

Website Feedback
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Constructive Suggestions for Improving the Site
posted 04-24-06 02:59 AM CT (US)   
I'm creating this topic for people to make suggestions for improving the site. I have a number of suggestions noted down that I've never had the opportunity to deliver to the people who can implement them. Hopefully I can do this with this thread.

I want to praise AoKH for being a very good site, and those who have worked to make it one. I don't mean to sound too polemic when delivering these suggestions, so if I do don't take anything personally.

Branching Files - A global HG issue

Files are currently submitted as a single zip package. What if a 56k downloader doesn't want to watch that brief 5MB AVI? What if we want to include a lot of music, but can't host it ourselves, yet don't want to create a file size that will make our works inaccessable to those without a good broadband connection? We could also break the music up into floppy disk size portions like Ulio, without external hosting. What if we want to make a campaign in two different languages, while essentially being the same download in every other respect? What if we wanted to make a high-spec version of the campaign for fast PC's?

Some of the problems with multiple file versions include distortion of the profiles and top rated system and difficulty reviewing. At AoKH specifically most submissions are a single file. This can be a good thing, but if people want to attach extra material they'll pretty much have their previous stuff deleted.

I also think the dredded 'demo' should be allowed as part of a file, so people can try it out and see if they like the campaign. For example, Oliver's excellent 'Lightning and Thunder' teaser could be a part of the download, which people could try out before they play. The demo would not contribute to the final review of the file, but providing the file size was small could be quite a useful feature for people considering downloading a very large file.

Though this would take a bit of work to implement, it would be a great enhancement to the site, and may even save a lot of bandwidth for HG if people decide not to download a music package.

Bring Back the Flags!

For games with expansion a simple visual indication of whether the expansion is needed or not is an absolute must. Since the update AoK has lost it's AoC flags, and other sites like EE (with the dredded AoC expansion I would never install on my PC) need them back too. I want to know if I can download something before I click on it.

Top reviewers section

Like the top rated section for campaigns, a top reviewers section to praise people for doing reviews would be a great addition to all heavens. Anything that gets more people to review has got to be good for the site, and competing with others, and getting some recognition for your work would surely help increase the number of reviews. I've mentioned this on the other topic, so I won't digress further here

We need to make the 'update scenarios' thing clearer across HG somehow

A message before you submit your scenario where you have to click 'yes, this isn't an update' would help fix the problem. We still get tons of double submissions, and in some heavens they don’t even get picked up on. It's sad, but this may not actually fix the problem even. I believe the people who do this may even be simply incapable of even noticing a full page screen message, which asks them to answer a simple question. Still, given the amount of time it takes a designer to make a campaign, I hardly think this page is something to complain about, and even if it only reduces the number of double submissions by half, it makes for a lot less work for the moderators and reviewers (who have to chase up these new submissions or their work is lost). And if they don't follow the warnings, we have the right to shoot them

New Reviews

This section's addition was a great breakthrough. Let's simply expand it to include a global version of itself, i.e. 'all new files', 'all new reviews', 'all new comments' and 'all top rated'. This can be enhanced by the existing 'go back X days' (which itself can be enhanced by setting a range of dates, so it need not start at the present) and a filter e.g. 'All new campaigns and scenarios'.

An additional or alternative feature would be to detect whether the browser was looking in 'home' (default), 'new reviews', 'top rated' etc and keep them in that relevant section when switching between areas.

I also think that navigating between the ‘new’, ‘top rated’ etc sections should be done with tabs along the top of the screen, and not down the side, it would make browsing more comfortable, as you don't have to scroll down.

Uploads checking – is it even necessary?

I think new submissions should go up straight away, and a program could check e.g. for profanity and to see if they are a WinZip file. I can’t see what could be checked that can’t be automated. It could save the delay and the frustration. You could argue that download's checking prevents double submissions for example, but I’ve seen corrupted files, double submissions etc get through at heavens where the moderators aren't able to do as good a job as they do here. And for double submissions, the case is often that people are submitting again because the file didn’t go up in the first place, due to the checking delay.

As long as the staff of each heaven keep an eye on the downloads area there won’t be any problems with this, they can simply remove any files they miss when they have a look at the downloads area. And if they don’t keep an eye on it, realistically the chances are the submissions will get through in the first place, as they won't realize the submission is just an update etc. Automated file checking can also scan old files much better than the memory of a download's administrator, though I admit it wouldn't get everything. A system where it checked for similar file names, the word 'update' for a new submission (which shouldn't really be in there) and similar file sizes to previous submissions should be fairly effective.

I don't know how much work it would involve to set up a 'bot' like this to scan new files though.

Make it easier for people to report a bad review or download etc in the downloads section

How about we have a link 'report this as a bad review' etc for logged in users, so people can report things like that to the downloads admin? Again, at AoKH there aren't many problems there, but at many other heavens there is years of poorly policed reviewing etc that is too much to ask a moderator to sort through by themselves. Being able to report abusive comments, poor reviews, duplicate/corrupted submissions quickly and easily etc would be a great feature. Again, at AoKH pretty much all of these things are policed very well, but there may still be the odd occurance, and as a global downloads feature it would aid some heaven's greatly.

Of course, abuse of the feature could be tied down to a login if it became a problem, then the person responsible could be dealt with.

Creteria for file removal

I'm not talking a huge, unmissable link here, but just something that can be found on the page somewhere that sets out all the details and protocols of the reasons a file can be removed, and things that should be discouraged. I don't know what they are myself, and they aren't published anywhere on the site, to my knowledge.

Navigation of the site

A website needs to be designed to be as easy to navigate and learn the layout of as possible. I have some ideas on improving the layout of AoKH and other sites, which I'll describe below.

*Homepage
Excellent. Easy to navigate, stylish and functional. Links to all important areas, and the news has been handled superbly by Anastasia, with all important events reported on, with links and pictures. The only improvement I can suggest is to make the link to the University a bit clearer - it has no subsections, so is a little easy to miss. Besides, how is a newbie to know what the university is? I didn't when I first came here.

*Forums
A comprehensive variety of forums, from general to SD, outside links etc. We won't mention Splash Splash

The forums are very effective for what they are made for - discussions. Without being unecessarily fancy, they do the job well. The only issue here, but a big one, is navigation. There is a useful tool on the top right to 'hop to' different forums, and different heavens. But what about a direct link to downloads central and the university? I think these two features would complete it nicely.

*Downloads Section
I've covered most of my ideas for this section already. Again though, the main thing I want to touch on is navigation - there is only a small link to the forums, which most new people evidently seem to miss. Perhaps a 'request a review' button on each person's own submission (which takes them to the review thread) would be helpful for those people who post 'PLZ REVIEW!' on the comments. Secondly, learning how to design is just as important as the forums or the downloads themselves. Bettering ourselves as designers is vital to improve the quality of our campaigns. We need a link to the university here! As for making the links more clear, I think some tabs or large words across the top of the downloads home and category subsections adding 'forums' and 'university' to the downloads section tab itself would be immensely useful for navigation. It would be nice if those tabs could remain a part of the rest of the site so it all looks continuous would be nice, though I don't know that this would work so well.

Having said that, I don't think people in the forums need quite as much help with basic navigation as people in the downloads area.

Communication between staff and community

This is a big one.

Every time there is a major change at HG the forumers need to be shown more respect by the staff when it comes to changing the site. This means both telling them, with ample warning, of future changes that affect them. Let us know when a new feature at the downloads section is coming up. Tell us if there is going to be a major change with the site. And more importantly, explain the details of the more important changes and allow us to have some say in it.

I've recently spoken to Anastasia about the future of scenario designing articles/information. I believe it's vital an official HG site provides a 'university' type database of SD information. In the past this was done at the university, but now most of it resides on scenario design team sites. This means that the university should track down and link to all of these sites, so we have a clear way of finding all SD information available easily, without having to search it out ourselves. The university should also ask permission of the authors to host this information itself so it can be kept together for convenience.

Now as we move into a new era, we need to do an overhaul of the now seldom frequented university, to make it the best source of SD information possible. I believe a wiki is by far the best form this can take. Yet I was greatly surprised to hear that this was not the case. I can't critisize the weaknesses of a lesser format though, becuase the details of this are confidential. I don't know if the future of the university was planned to be discussed with the community or not, but it's something we absolutely have to talk about and work out as a community.

I don't mean to be hasty or critical of the staff, as I neither know what form the new university would take, or whether or not there was any plan to openly discuss it with the community before any decisions were made. I don't however feel that the staff have been open enough about this issue so far with the community, and we absolutely must have the details of this explained on the scenario design forum, and allow the community to make a decision on the matter.

As I've said, I'm overwhelmingly in favour of a wiki, and I want to speak about this in depth with anyone who opposes it. We need a format that is as conducive as possible to getting people to write articles. It doesn't have to be a wiki, but it does have to be the best possible format available, and one we all agree on. I can't see the old article format working, so I hope it is at least something much different to that.

Just as important as it is to get the optimal format, it's also vital to get people to visit this place. That's why we need the links to this area from everywhere possible, especially the homepage, forums and downloads central.

We also need the staff to keep the forumers fully up to date with issues that concern them, even if it means making topics in multiple forums for more important issues.

There is now also the issue of GenieWiki, a wiki set up recently to cover AoE, AoK and SWGB in all matters of designing, modding, data editing and playing (strategy etc). I haven't spoken about the wiki with DiGiT yet, nor do I know what HG's position on it is. If this wiki is not to be the future official and fully linked to/supported place where we go for designing information, I think there has been a lack of communication between HG and the site's creator. It's so important that we're all on the same page and can go one place to get (or be linked to) everything. Perhaps the idea of GenieWiki should have been discussed fully with the SD forum and AOKH staff, but it was created also out of a vital need that AoKH has not addressed so far. We all need to work together on these things, otherwise we can never have the scenario designing database we so much need.

That is all I have to say. I'm not particularly skilled at being diplomatic, it's something I'm trying to learn. I've written a lot, and if it is all put in place it will be a huge amount of work. I realise there will be flaws with many of my ideas, but I hope they have all been heard by the people that can make them happen if they are viable, and that they won't be forgotten.

I ask our forumers to provide feedback on my ideas and to suggest their own, to help make the site an even better place.

My thanks to all the people who have made AoKH and HG what it is today, and please don't be offended by anything I have said or the way I have said it; I've been less than tactful in the past and it is definitely not my intention to belittle the effort and hours that have gone into the collective being that is AoKH.

-Richard

Replies:
posted 04-24-06 07:52 AM CT (US)     1 / 29  
Richard,
You have been busy. I don't take issue with you on anything really. Some of the more technical issues are beyond my ken, and may be affected by cost/time issues. After all, HG is a private company and whilst it doesn't make anyone rich they do have to consider finances etc. I think Top Reviewers is a good idea (as long as we can come up with fair and reasonable criteria).

I'm not sure a bad review flag is needed as doesn't Tanneur see all reviews already? I think his input on these BS issues is vital.

In terms of the design stuff, I'm not overly fussed where it is located but I think it makes sense to have it in one place and link everything else to that. The University here seems a bit sad and neglected. It's possible that different parties are proprietorial about these things but if Tsuniversity, Woad, DGDN and AoKH combined their resources and put it all in your wiki that makes sense to me. But if it's at TSU or AoKH so be it.

This is a very impressive list, and I doubt anyone could take offence at anything you've written. In fact I think HG should offer you a 'job', not that you necessarily want one!

posted 04-24-06 08:35 PM CT (US)     2 / 29  
i have an add on: a mac faq, as some things,like macs cant use modpacks and for some reason, the mac verson directory dosent come with a sound folder, you must create your own. i, being a mac user and a minority, would like to see one single site with something for macs, preferrably this one since its so popular.
posted 04-24-06 09:46 PM CT (US)     3 / 29  
posted 04-25-06 09:08 PM CT (US)     4 / 29  
I believe there should be a forum dedicated to AI Scripting only. I know aiscripters.com is a great source, but it's rather unknown and disregarded by several forumers (at first, me included).
Or at least sticking an AI FAQ at the SD forum.
posted 04-27-06 06:56 AM CT (US)     5 / 29  

Quote:

I believe it's vital an official HG site provides a 'university' type database of SD information. In the past this was done at the university, but now most of it resides on scenario design team sites. This means that the university should track down and link to all of these sites, so we have a clear way of finding all SD information available easily, without having to search it out ourselves. The university should also ask permission of the authors to host this information itself so it can be kept together for convenience.

History:
Just to correct the history of the AoKH University and design articles being primarily hosted by design teams. The University was created very early in the life of the site and although it was updated, most of those updates were cosmetic and organazational rather than the addition of new articles. Only recently during Aro's and CC's administration have new articles been added to my knowledge. In the past the scenario design teams were hosted by HG. This was due to SCN Punk being hosted first and then some of the other known teams were originally hosted by Punk here. Many concerns seemed to conspire to end the hosting of the SD teams at HG, and while I've read many accounts the main thrust was that SCN Punk had grown too large with the hosting of all the teams. So HG was the genesis of SD teams and the SCN Punk SD article database that inspired the others was ultimately hosted first at HG. In fact if we ask Stephen, he can link us to some of the old SCN Punk articles still hosted here at HG. The Tsuniversity was created later as an alternative to the team only SCN Punk articles, and sought to host articles from authors regardless of their team affiliations. Although there were many who contributed to the Tsuniversity's success the original vision of it hasn't been fully realized to date.

AoKH University:
With regard to the AoKH University they have permission to link the Tsuniversity articles and they also have permission to host them at the University. Likewise the University has permission to host the Woad articles, and while I'm not sure if similar permissions have or will be given by DGDN, I'm sure they will be willing to contribute in some capacity. So the will to make the University "universal" as far as SD articles go exists. However, I'm not sure what of the Tsuniversity's or Woad's articles are being considered, if at all. Also there is no timetable as of yet for the revamped University. Once we have it though we will be looking to the entire community to contribute to it.

Wiki:
With regard to the Wiki, the main issues seem to be crediting the authors and plagiarism. Also what happens to an article once it is posted and anyone can edit it? Is it changed for the better or made worse?

Tsuniversity and the Wiki:
While the Tsuniversity would like to contribute to the wiki, we are not sure how the articles will be handled, or if it would be fair to the authors to place their articles where they are not properly credited and are subject to editing. Perhaps we can start out with a few articles and see what develops from there. Feel free to use links, but I'm not sure how that would be a change from the searching around that was described?

Stephen: If you want to put your mind to this, and follow through with things and act as our ambassador of sorts?

I think what put me off a bit about the Wiki is that it was/is pitched as the answer to team affiliated sites, and particularly the Tsuniversity that was/is open to all. Here's the rub, each SD team created article databases out of necessity and to fill a void. This was done either with thier members and visitors in mind or like with the Tsuniversity the entire SD community. The Tsuniversity could have well been a Wiki, had it not been envisioned and built before wiki existed. I can't speak for everyone but as an SD enthusiast, I don't really care where I get my information from, and I've always appreciated all the SD team libraries. The fact that we competed, and what really only amounted to a sharing of inspiration is part of how we each accomplished our library goals.

Oh well, I leave it there for now, and hopefully others will share their thoughts here.

Cesar:
I like the sticky thread idea, is that something you want to create? I'm not promising anything just yet but I can discuss it with DaVe and CC.

[edit] The Mac FAQ is also an excellent idea and long over due!

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
"What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
"I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 04-27-2006 @ 07:11 AM).]

posted 04-27-06 03:36 PM CT (US)     6 / 29  
Actually, the AI Forum was Mabuse's idea. And he is far better in AI scripting than I am. It would be interesting to contact him.
posted 05-01-06 00:19 AM CT (US)     7 / 29  
This thread is not getting enough attention. It is a spot-on collection of almost all of the minor problems with AoKH, as well as offering some great suggestions. rwilde, great job.

To make it easier, I'll just copy/paste the headings of the topics I wholeheartedly agree with:

Bring Back the Flags!
Uploads checking – is it even necessary?
Make it easier for people to report a bad review or download etc in the downloads section
Creteria for file removal
Navigation of the site -- Namely, putting a link to each part of the forums on the homepage.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."
posted 05-06-06 06:29 AM CT (US)     8 / 29  

Quoted from Ana:

With regard to the Wiki, the main issues seem to be crediting the authors and plagiarism. Also what happens to an article once it is posted and anyone can edit it? Is it changed for the better or made worse?

I hadn't considered those issues. I don't see why the author can't be credited? The editing thing seems to be a bit of a bugbear of Wikipedia. The pages would have to be monitored. Also I guess one just has to trust the sort of people who are likely to look at those pages not to interfere. There is I believe a Wiki for AoE III.

Quote:

Stephen: If you want to put your mind to this, and follow through with things and act as our ambassador of sorts?

Fine, happy to do that.

Perhaps the best thing for a Wiki would be simply to have a list of links to all the articles. After all, where they physically sit is irrelevant.

posted 05-08-06 02:00 AM CT (US)     9 / 29  

Quote:

I hadn't considered those issues. I don't see why the author can't be credited? The editing thing seems to be a bit of a bugbear of Wikipedia. The pages would have to be monitored. Also I guess one just has to trust the sort of people who are likely to look at those pages not to interfere. There is I believe a Wiki for AoE III.

I don't have the answers, but I was hoping that Richard could supply them. Also, that is why I asked you to follow up on it as far as the Tsu goes.

What I'm not seeing is the enthusiasm and effort it is going to take to make the Wiki a success. I've already confided in Richard that I'm exhausted by my own past efforts at the Tsu. Still, there has to be something after all the complaints and justifications about the University and the team affiliated libraries have been said. The Wiki is not the only project or proposal to run into staff resistance or reluctance here at AoKH. The Tsuniversity has had similar problems with rejection of our proposals and ideas regarding AoKH and other Heavens. Still, HeavenGames, the respective Heavens, and the Seraphs have been fair. What everyone has to understand is that HG and AoKH has it's own goals, and they do take the members into account when planning for content and making changes. Only the goals must be considered along with the larger goals of HG that include all Heavens. OK enough said there.

Build it and they will come! Whatever it takes!

Seriously, I think what the Wiki needs is to get a topic going in the different forums and ask for contributions. Also, you guys need a good front man. While Richard is definately a good choice for AoEH, I suggest DiGiT and/or t_c for AoKH. Notwithstanding, gathering all who is currently interested in the Wiki will do the most to promote the project. I'll lend some of my SD articles and time to it too.

Quote:

Fine, happy to do that.
Perhaps the best thing for a Wiki would be simply to have a list of links to all the articles. After all, where they physically sit is irrelevant.

Thanks, that's great. For the articles at the Tsuniversity, I suggest that the Wiki just contact the authors (that can still be contacted) and ask them if they can use them. Then they can just be copied with each author's permission. For the interviews, and I don't know if they would be even considered, they would have to get permission from both parties. In other words, we just want to know that they are being informed, and understand what the nature of the crediting and all is before they give permission to copy them. Again the links are not an issue.

[This message has been edited by Angel Anastasia (edited 05-08-2006 @ 02:02 AM).]

posted 05-08-06 04:55 PM CT (US)     10 / 29  
^ Proof that Ana is a machine. Who types lengthy posts at two in the mornin'?
posted 05-08-06 05:26 PM CT (US)     11 / 29  
O.o *twich* Thats good ennof Proof for me.

Wow its been a long time... Maybe I should go bye AoC again.
A "dark" young soldier trying to find his identity- Surge
posted 05-09-06 02:11 PM CT (US)     12 / 29  
One interesting thing would be the ability to see who's online when inside a forum.

For example: when I am at the Barter's Post and I scroll down, I can see who's online. However, when I'm at the Town's Crier, I can't. That is not good.

posted 05-10-06 01:11 PM CT (US)     13 / 29  
Does it really matter though? That'd hardly be a massive benefit to the community.

MY NAME IS GWAME I AM AOKH MEMBER SINCE 2004 AND I HAVE MANY POSTS
BEST SIG OF 2008 AND 2ND BEST SIG OF 2009 (SAME SIG LOLOL)
BEST SIG OF 2008
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 05-11-06 06:48 PM CT (US)     14 / 29  
No. It wouldn't be a massive benefit. But it's the little things that count. And you'd think such a system wouldn't be massively hard to do. Like the linking to each part of the forums on the main page. That's already done at some other Heavens... why not here?

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."

[This message has been edited by zyxomma100 (edited 05-11-2006 @ 07:08 PM).]

posted 05-15-06 09:19 AM CT (US)     15 / 29  
Maybe we should add avatars and images in signatures like most forums? On other forums, this is my avatar/sig (fuzzydude45 made the sig, I made the avatar):

[JPEG, (96.92 KB)]

me

[This message has been edited by MeGaIdIoT (edited 05-15-2006 @ 09:19 AM).]

posted 05-21-06 10:48 AM CT (US)     16 / 29  
This has been explained plenty of times. We'll never have signature images here. A mod would be better at explaining it though.

MY NAME IS GWAME I AM AOKH MEMBER SINCE 2004 AND I HAVE MANY POSTS
BEST SIG OF 2008 AND 2ND BEST SIG OF 2009 (SAME SIG LOLOL)
BEST SIG OF 2008
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap music. If you're on of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy this into your signature.
"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^" "Gwame your sig ain't funny nomore." - morgoth bauglir"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 05-21-06 11:11 AM CT (US)     17 / 29  
Read the CoC...you can have image in your signature, but just hasn't been enabled or something....

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 05-21-06 03:42 PM CT (US)     18 / 29  
Text signatures are better. It's bad enough seeing ugly text sigs, but people can come up with some annoying pictures...

dannyking.me

posted 05-21-06 04:40 PM CT (US)     19 / 29  

Quote:

This has been explained plenty of times. We'll never have signature images here. A mod would be better at explaining it though.

I really can't explain why images in signatures have been disabled, but I'll find out and get back to everyone with the answer.

posted 05-21-06 06:10 PM CT (US)     20 / 29  
- Bandwidth issues
- Stupidity of certain forumers
- Takes up too much space
- Zen
posted 05-21-06 10:06 PM CT (US)     21 / 29  

Quote:

- Stupidity of certain forumers

Someone whose sig says "Nintendo Penis" should choose words more wisely. Nevertheless, how is stupidity supposed to be controlled?

posted 05-22-06 05:23 PM CT (US)     22 / 29  
By disabling images in signatures, of course.

[This message has been edited by King Bob VI (edited 05-22-2006 @ 05:24 PM).]

posted 05-22-06 05:41 PM CT (US)     23 / 29  
And we come full circle.

dannyking.me

posted 05-22-06 05:42 PM CT (US)     24 / 29  
Real men use text sigs.

Images are fo' sissies.

Besides, it'll get really stupid after you've seen 400000 image sigs/avatars that contain [Insert anime character here]

. : T h e  T r e b u c h e t : .
    Member since 10/10/04
    Creator of the best Splash Splash ever
    SS XXIV - The Takeover
    --=---~--=-=---~-=--
"The turtles can only do so much dancing before they get tired. Then they go back in the box." -Luke M

[This message has been edited by Trebuchet (edited 05-22-2006 @ 05:48 PM).]

posted 05-24-06 07:57 PM CT (US)     25 / 29  

Quote:

Someone whose sig says "Nintendo Penis" should choose words more wisely.

Twas the wise words of an OD forumer.

And by stupidity, I meant forumers creating extremely large sigs, whether in size/color/animation, or just plain annoying ones that hurt the eyes.

posted 05-24-06 09:12 PM CT (US)     26 / 29  

Quote:

And by stupidity, I meant forumers creating extremely large sigs, whether in size/color/animation, or just plain annoying ones that hurt the eyes.

I see... d'oh!

posted 05-25-06 07:47 PM CT (US)     27 / 29  
You could still create in every post a fake signature...
(this would grant the use of pictures).

And the only oens that complain about signature graphics are mostly those people that can't use photoshop. That's what I've learned through a lot of other forums :P .

~~~Member and Admin at DGDN~~~
Beta Asian Monastery Mod 4.5 | Old Stone 4.5 | Sacred Entrance Mod 5.0 | Stonehenge Mod 4.5 | Weapon Stack Mod 4.5
Battle of Mayapan 4.0 | The Paladin of Destiny 4.2
'Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.'
posted 05-25-06 08:13 PM CT (US)     28 / 29  
I'm willing to wager my photoshop skills against anyone here, but I still despise graphical signatures. From my experience, people who use them tend to be overly zealous in wanting to show off their [lack of] "photoshop skills" and as a result tend to make their signatures really obnoxiously huge. It's not fair to make everyone scroll extra just so you can show off a bit. This is also the reason all text in signatures is now whispered.

EDIT: And before you mention it, yes I have a graphic in my DGDN sig and no, that was before I gained enough experience to decide otherwise. I do remember it (along with some others'... ) being rather large though.

CRYSTALCROWN

Play OnlineBecause you really can't gloat about beating the computer.
Learn the FlushSo you don't lose every game in under 20 minutes.

It's not a post count; it's making your posts count.

[This message has been edited by CrystalCrown (edited 05-25-2006 @ 08:19 PM).]

posted 05-26-06 09:58 PM CT (US)     29 / 29  
Well, your signature pic at dgdn isn't bigger then your signature @aokh . And the thing about big pictures could be easily solved. A limit of one picture and a limitation in the picture sizes (this is possible).

~~~Member and Admin at DGDN~~~
Beta Asian Monastery Mod 4.5 | Old Stone 4.5 | Sacred Entrance Mod 5.0 | Stonehenge Mod 4.5 | Weapon Stack Mod 4.5
Battle of Mayapan 4.0 | The Paladin of Destiny 4.2
'Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.'

[This message has been edited by The X King (edited 05-26-2006 @ 10:00 PM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Website Feedback » Constructive Suggestions for Improving the Site
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames