You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires III Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Water...the new Resource (Collectors Edition)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 01-20-03 01:06 PM CT (US)   
The following blue lines have been updated:

There are a lot of different opinions and ideas. I think it is unnecessary to write all of them here because they could be read below, however I will include and update some statistics about the preferences in the following table.

Interested and/or suggestions: 21
Unnecessary: 8
Not defined: 2

Updated to feb 10, 2003.

************ORIGINAL POST STARTS HERE******************
Hello:

What about water as a new resource? Some people have posted good ideas for this. The gallery of quotes is here. Read about and send your thoughts.

I have posted some topics in which I have included the idea of adding water as a resource, but actually there is no special topic for this interesting addition to the game.

What do you think?
All your replies will be posted here.

Here are the quotes I have found:

Quoted from Hector Ocampo:

Water was and is an essential resource for building construction, farming and for life. This resource could be gathered on water and land-water maps by using a water-mill designed with a reservoir and not villagers required only the water-mill placed near a lake, river, pond, shallow, etc.. On land maps it will be necessary to add some small ponds to all the maps in order to be able to build the water-mill. Of course this resource could be bought or sold at the market, could be sent as a tribute and with an additional feature, it could be possible to build an aqueduct between allies in order to "trade" or "share" this resource. This characteristic could be important if one ally had to leave its town and rebuild in some other place without water, allies can build the aqueduct and share the resource. The updates for this mill could be the same or equivalents as the ones on the actual mill.

This will be a never ended resource. The only way we could be out of water is not having the water-mill.

Water could be added as a required resource for towers, walls, buildings and not mounted military units perhaps or instead of this last one, maybe for villagers. Water could be a required resource for building farms as well, and farms could be upgraded with a special technology that adds more water to the crops.

Quoted from fishface60:

GOOD!! WATER!!! JUST WHAT I NEED!!!
Aqueducts seem nice idea.
Maybe resource caravans could be added.

Quoted from ChrisJBA:

I like these water ideas.

Quoted from Antz:

A good idea with water as a resource!

Quoted from l2aGeFul2i0uS:

That is a good idea how Water could be a new resource. The only units that will need such a resource though is living units. Thats a good idea! The only building that probably only requires water is farms.

Quoted from King Jeff 2:

When you replenish your farms, you would have to pay water too. I think water shouldn't be an everlasting resource, but it should come in rather quickly. Mabye a technology to lower how much water is needed to build a farm could be "irrigation".

Quoted from Nabrimn:

Unnessecary complication.

Quoted from Brian Black:

Water should be especially the farm resource, and if the farm doesn't get water in a long time, it shall exhaust, maybe? Or lose capacity.

Quoted from NedmadOhcet:

i like that idea, how about we build farm out of water instead of wood, itll make more sense and 50 gallons of water is better then 50 wood..

Quoted from Mad_CatMk2:

I agree with NedmadOhcet for farms

Quoted from Dark Side of Day:

Those are different ideas.......
explain in more depth how they would work in the game!

Quoted from Warturtle:

Hehe good idea. Difficult to understand how can it will be applied to the game.
However the idea you suggest is quite interesting. All the other ideas about using water for farming and irrigation sound cool.

Quoted from Danthered:

I guess it could always bring up the question, can the water supply be poisoned?. Not that i think it should be included in the game but its still a talking point I guess.

Quoted from Brian Black:

How about you could also lift land from underwater (like they did in Holland) but very slowly and it should be very expensive. But it should be that if you don't gather water reguralry the farms lose food.

Anyone could add some suggestions or ideas how can we make this to work?

Interesting idea or Unnessesary complication?
Vote here.

There are a lot of hidden wonders in the world, despite nobody knows them.... they exist.
Proud member of aiscripters.com

[This message has been edited by Hector Ocampo (edited 02-10-2003 @ 10:20 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-21-03 09:02 AM CT (US)     1 / 58  
Hello!!

Come on I don't think nobody guess that adding this resource could be a great idea or maybe an unnessesary complication as Nabrim said. Please write your thoughts, your opinions, your vote.

Come on!!

There are a lot of hidden wonders in the world, despite nobody knows them.... they exist.
posted 01-21-03 01:39 PM CT (US)     2 / 58  
Hehe good idea. Difficult to understand how can it will be applied to the game.

However the idea you suggest is quite interesting. All the other ideas about using water for farming and irrigation sound cool.

Quote:

it could be possible to build an aqueduct between allies in order to "trade" or "share" this resource

How can we do in order to share the resource? Can you or someone explain this?

posted 01-21-03 01:50 PM CT (US)     3 / 58  
Warturtle:

Maybe it sounds too complicated but it isn't.

Let suppose we are allies in a game and you had to rebuilt because of a flush. But the place in which you need to rebuild is out of water. In this case I will need to build an aqueduct directly to your new town. At the end of the aqueduct I will build a reservoir. This reservoir will be used by you like a pond or as same as a small lake. You will need to build the water-mill near it and that's all you have water now!!

Maybe my idea is not so good, if someone could think a little bit more about it please don't hesitate to post your thoughts here.

posted 01-22-03 10:33 PM CT (US)     4 / 58  
whoa, indentation.. you don't see that everyday.. usually it's

Warturtle
or
Warturtle
*enter enter*

or
@Warturtle:

etc.. heh

posted 01-23-03 12:31 PM CT (US)     5 / 58  
I like these water ideas.

Possibly we could have a sort of wall that is a ditch filled with water. But you can't destroy it, so you have to go around or acroos. (see below)

Perhaps a small, mobile bridge, that can't attack but has hgh armour, and it can be carried to a water ditch, then set up so that units can cross it. You'd have to set it so that you can't have 2 or 3 ditches one behind the other, then the bridges woyld be too short.

posted 01-24-03 02:10 PM CT (US)     6 / 58  
@U:

Thank you.

posted 01-24-03 03:00 PM CT (US)     7 / 58  
I guess it could always bring up the question, can the water supply be poisoned?. Not that i think it should be included in the game but its still a talking point I guess.

"Blasted Paradoxes!, They get absoloutely everywhere!" - Danthered
Current Project:None
Proud Member of DGDN
Faded Glory LARP
Completed Projects: Dark Happenings
posted 01-24-03 04:22 PM CT (US)     8 / 58  
About Chris JBA's reply:

Quote: Possibly we could have a sort of wall that is a ditch filled with water. But you can't destroy it, so you have to go around or acroos. (see below)

Yes these would be moats, and you can't go across but instead have to fill them up.

posted 01-24-03 07:23 PM CT (US)     9 / 58  
This is very simple if you want a simple usage of water. Make a new naval building that will gather water and purify it. It will slowly add to your resource and water will be used to "boost" the building rate for one building, or the farming rate for a farm.

A span of death in the realm of the pure, a plague upon a blessed wind, a corrupt soul in the world of the living, a field of evil upon the light........The black wind comes...
posted 01-26-03 01:12 PM CT (US)     10 / 58  
How about you could also lift land from underwater (like they did in Holland) but very slowly and it should be very expensive. But it should be that if you don't gather water reguralry the farms lose food.

^~-.___.-*^'"\___|||___/"'^*-.___.-~^
~=-._.-~* Brian Christie *~-._.-=~
*-.._,-~"\__ __/"~-,_..-*
/__\
posted 01-27-03 02:03 PM CT (US)     11 / 58  
GOOD!! WATER!!! JUST WHAT I NEED!!!
Aqueducts seem nice idea.
Maybe resource caravans could be added.

Like the trade ships in AOE.

2 columns, sell and buy.

Choose the resources and move to either a standard market or make a new building like a resource depot.

Hmm how does that sound?

Anyways, the aqueducts would seem a bit too... Roman.
Maybe a roman or rome like civ could have it as a unique unit/technology/building while all the others have ditches until sewers are researched in ageIII.

Haven't been here in years
posted 01-27-03 02:15 PM CT (US)     12 / 58  
A good idea with water as a resource!

The best clan ever is TOAO Clan!
posted 01-30-03 04:47 PM CT (US)     13 / 58  
Thread updated with new suggestions.

Anyone else?

posted 01-30-03 05:05 PM CT (US)     14 / 58  
I think it is unnessecary. There are already quite a few resourses.
posted 01-30-03 06:05 PM CT (US)     15 / 58  
A news item might help your cause.
posted 01-30-03 06:53 PM CT (US)     16 / 58  
Water pollution!

How about having the water become polluted as time goes on and people create more waste (hey, it's a fact of life! )?

Use water as a waste dump would improve work rate for villagers and strengthen the army, otherwise, it would slow down the work rate. But, since water would also be a resource, you would have to decide whether water is wholly expendible or a turning point in the game.

posted 01-30-03 07:51 PM CT (US)     17 / 58  

Quoted from Nabrimn:

Unnessecary complication.

posted 01-30-03 10:36 PM CT (US)     18 / 58  
Well I dont think it is a complication.

There are two options:

Units consume water
Farms requiere water to build and/or need water for growing.

It is not a complication, furthermore, I think this resource could renew the interest on the game because of that new resource. Which strategies would be applied?, how to have a monopoly of water?, how this new resource will affect the game balance?, would it be possible to trade it or sell and/or buy? What will happen when gold is out?

There are a lot of questions that could be of mayor interest. Think about it. ES will not do an AOE III if they don't find something really new.

Thank you Luke

posted 01-31-03 01:23 AM CT (US)     19 / 58  
All units could cost 10 water as well as food.

If aqueducts are included, enemies could target them, to help cut off unit production. Defence of reservoir in later ages would also come into play. In the earlier ages, you'd have to build wells, especially on maps with scarce water. The wells would slowly build up water or something like that. Or maybe each water can give a certain amount of water before it must be relocated. You'd just destroy them to take the extra space.

What about shore fishing traps? Only villages could gather fish from them.

With maps thin on water, you could try and dominate all the water. Build towers to stop aqueduct construction. Perhaps the wells are less desirable than reservoirs, and are less clean (though I don't know what that would do) and don't last as long.

"I will not fly into a rage and kill a messenger who is the bearer of bad news just to illustrate how evil I really am. Good messengers are hard to come by."

[This message has been edited by TakedaVegeta (edited 01-31-2003 @ 01:45 AM).]

posted 01-31-03 02:29 PM CT (US)     20 / 58  
I believe water would be a great addition to the available resources; however, it is a very broad topic. It could use more explanation. Some of the statements i have read sound like a very great idea. A player could do some much with water being a resource. Also, i have learned many different tactics playing AoK:TC; some of which are cutting off trade surplus, or hurting their stone so they are unable to advance to Imperial for the reason of not building a castle (This works 1v1 quite well if exectuted correctly). Which brings me to my point of taking out a water mill to damper the other players spirits. Another possibility is another unit. Create a spy of some sort and have them pollute their water supply. That would throw a wrench in their plans. I did, also, like what someone had to say about having farms cost water instead of wood. I believe in this to the fullest. Sure, some wood is used when a farm is built, but the main resourse used is Water. A person could talk a great deal about this and i could go on...but i want to keep this as short as possible. Keep it real Frosty -XN-
posted 01-31-03 03:17 PM CT (US)     21 / 58  
Realy god Resources. I think...I will use them, yes!
posted 01-31-03 04:24 PM CT (US)     22 / 58  

Quote:

All units could cost 10 water as well as food.

If aqueducts are included, enemies could target them, to help cut off unit production. Defence of reservoir in later ages would also come into play. In the earlier ages, you'd have to build wells, especially on maps with scarce water. The wells would slowly build up water or something like that.

i really doubt water was even a minor strategic resource to get in the middle ages.

Quote:

Or maybe each water can give a certain amount of water before it must be relocated. You'd just destroy them to take the extra space.

back then there just werent enough people to exhast underground water reservours.

Quote:

There are a lot of questions that could be of mayor interest. Think about it. ES will not do an AOE III if they don't find something really new.

LOL your gonna buy AOE3 for a few new features and water??

posted 01-31-03 06:11 PM CT (US)     23 / 58  
Water... hmm...

What about this:

It all depend on how close you are towards water. For example, if your village is on the bank of a river, then you would just simply build a ditch (same building process as walls, animations would be digging instead of hammering), that lead to your town centers, and then you would need villagers garrisoned inside your town center to produce water as a resource, just like how relics are garrisoned inside monestaries to produce gold.

If your village are far from water, then you would need to dig a well in green terrain (any terrain that has the color of green in minimap), and then gather water from there the same way a villager gathers gold from a gold mine, they deposite it into a town center or a reservoir.

A reservoir can be built for the use of "water camp" similar to the use of "mining camp" and "lumber camp". A reservoir acts just like a town center except it doesn't have any other abilities, it only concerns water. build a ditch and have it connect to the reservoir, then have villagers garrison inside to produce water, or gather water from already built wells.

In yellow-brown terrain, there is no wells available, and there is no water available, therefore you must look for grass terrain or water terrain, this would encourage players to search for "oasis" inside deserts.

A resource gathering point for water will never run out of water.

To cut your enemy off from water supply, simply select your villager and right click on your enemy's ditch and your villager will throw rocks into it, and when the ditch is filled, it is destroyed. A ditch is very easy to destroy, it is also very easy to build. Only villagers can destroy ditches, and that would give villagers more importance in war.

As for destroying a well, just attack it as if it's a building. A well would have 100HP with building armor.

Every unit you build would cost an amount of water, riders cost more water, etc...

hello all
posted 01-31-03 06:29 PM CT (US)     24 / 58  
Nay!
I don't think water would be too popular

"Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you are."-Brillat-Savarin, Zone Name = SKD_Spook, known as Spook, old nicknames: Spooky, Porkchop, King of Tofu, Spookyporkchop, Spooky_Tofu, Avocado, Avocado the king of ham, cheese, and a side order of refried beans with a hint of orange milk and a cheesy crossant.
posted 01-31-03 07:00 PM CT (US)     25 / 58  
Water was/is an important resource, especially in the Middle East.

There have been many battles won because of poisoning the water supply of a city.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires III Discussion » Water...the new Resource (Collectors Edition)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames