Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I'm Becoming an Oldie
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 08-19-04 00:58 AM CT (US)   
Some of you may be aware that my pearl anniversary at HG is coming up soon, and I've noticed a change in myself. You may have noticed I've been spending much less time in TC, posting primarily in G&SD and SD. This is because I hate Splash Splash-like spamming. I've also become a lot less tolerant of newbs. Whenever I see threads likethis, I really have to excercise self control not to flame the po' guy in question. But it wasn't so long ago that I was like this myself. I sure have changed over the months. I used to post a million threads and top each of them weekly. I considered it an outrage if there weren't at least three "LF" threads on the first page at any one time. My spamming habits have stopped now.

I'm becoming an oldie, slowly but surely. In another year, will I be like Swp or Gaiseric? Only time will tell...

Replies:
posted 08-19-04 01:00 AM CT (US)     1 / 64  
I don't dislike you as much as I used to. I guess that means you are improving (Althought this thread isn't really a sign of improvement.)

You're no where near to becoming an oldie though.

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper

[This message has been edited by Adder (edited 08-19-2004 @ 01:04 AM).]

posted 08-19-04 01:04 AM CT (US)     2 / 64  
posted 08-19-04 01:05 AM CT (US)     3 / 64  
That's the way I look it.

Actually AOKH as a whole (Or at least TC) is getting a lot better for the most part, IMO. It must be the fact that DM's gone.

Adder |
"I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper

[This message has been edited by Adder (edited 08-19-2004 @ 01:09 AM).]

posted 08-19-04 01:41 AM CT (US)     4 / 64  
Congrats Fadawah

Here's to another year.

~ INNUEDO ALERT ~
posted 08-19-04 01:53 AM CT (US)     5 / 64  
People get the idea that being an "oldie" is being negative. I really think 90% of people being negative and picking on newbies are putting it on, trying to be accepted.

There is no rule that you have to be nasty. Even Stevay and Gaiseric aren't nasty, and I don't really see them flame "newbs". Only jerks flame newbs.

Quote:

In another year, will I be like Swp or Gaiseric?

If so, you'd be putting it on. Be like yourself.

Oh, and congrats Let's aim for a happy medium for next year?

DR LORENZO
AoEH | Woad Creations Alumni
I of course meant bastard in a positive way! - Kor
I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
posted 08-19-04 02:35 AM CT (US)     6 / 64  
I'm Becoming an Oldie

No you're not.

Congrats, though.

Even Stevay and Gaiseric aren't nasty, and I don't really see them flame "newbs".

Sadly, I must disagree with you. Steve admits it himself he flames.

Signed,
DaVe.
posted 08-19-04 02:37 AM CT (US)     7 / 64  
Yes, but not "newbs". They flame n00bs.

DR LORENZO
I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
posted 08-19-04 02:45 AM CT (US)     8 / 64  

Quote:

Whenever I see threads likethis, I really have to excercise self control not to flame the po' guy in question.

Funny thing: that's how I feel when I see some of your posts.

No disrespect intended, Mr. Oldie.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
posted 08-19-04 04:34 AM CT (US)     9 / 64  
Fad (I can call you Fad?), it will be a sad day for us all if you change who you are in the quest for the perception of maturity.

Interestingly I find myself drawn into flaming you, and only you, on a fairly polite but regular basis. I don't think you grasp even the basic understanding of what makes you annoying, but don't go changing.......

Why only in the last few weeks have you spammed threads, topped them with stupid posts like "who topped this thread" and generally been an overly opinionated forummer.....

Who can say what the future holds though...I know you really do mean well

I really do need a signature that is a little better than this
I am TOAO_Grub, be unafraid, very unafraid

[This message has been edited by Grubby (edited 08-19-2004 @ 04:36 AM).]

posted 08-19-04 04:35 AM CT (US)     10 / 64  
Oldies do not, repeat not, make threads like this.

"War does not decide who is right... only who is left." -Bertrand Russell
posted 08-19-04 04:47 AM CT (US)     11 / 64  
You'll never become an oldie.

None of us are free, one of us is chained.
posted 08-19-04 04:59 AM CT (US)     12 / 64  
oldies never proclaim themselves old, therefore, you arnt an oldie. But congrats on 1 year@AoKH anyways. Im sure no one noticed my 1 year anniversary. So feel special if you like.

ZN: TOAO_Wartz_ | ESO2: Cyrus
Check out The TOAO Clan | My recorded games
"." - TOAO_Creon
posted 08-19-04 05:13 AM CT (US)     13 / 64  
If you want to be considered an "oldie", I would ask you to do as I asked before and please think a bit before hitting the reply button in forums other than TC. As people have stated, you constantly make posts which only express a random opinion about a subject that is completely unnecessary. You DO still spam. Saying "that made me laugh" or "has anyone noticed how xxxx's capitalization has gotten worse" is not on-topic posting. It's +1ing. I don't read SD, so you may be wonderful there, but in G&SD I can cite examples of blatant spam if you want.

Also, I find it disappointing that it's an accomplishment not to flame people. It shouldn't be special behavior not to insult someone. It should be common sense. In the real world you're not going to go very far if you tell everyone who's a moron your opinion of them to their face. Tact is quite important.

Quote:

In another year, will I be like Swp

Swp was (and still is) a good player who gives highly useful advice. If you're only focusing on the forum "drama" such as arguments and flames, then you might miss the fact that the reason people respect him is because he knows what he's talking about.

It seems to me that you put a great deal of emphasis on what you perceive to be the forum "hierarchy". I understand that most early adolescents think in this mentality, but I really don't think that's the way most places opperate. Who cares if someone's an "oldie"? You think you are one, many might disagree (and obviously do). It's a creation of your own mind.

I'm no model forummer, so feel free to flame away.

I also don't mean to offend. I'll admit you've gotten much better than when I first saw you posting, but don't just say, "that'll do" here and stop trying to improve.

EDIT: I should add that you must remember there are people reading every post. If you make it seem OK to spam or post off-topic replies, new forumers will think so as well.

[This message has been edited by Gordon B (edited 08-19-2004 @ 05:23 AM).]

posted 08-19-04 05:29 AM CT (US)     14 / 64  
Hmmm, I think I'm getting younger. Too bad I'm an oldie as well, since I resisted the urge to flame after looking at this thread.

We really own, Fadawah, woot.

posted 08-19-04 05:33 AM CT (US)     15 / 64  
I remember one of the most annoying (of Fadawahs) threads was "Stop harassing Ingo!". He took it upon himself to be Ingo's personal agent.

DR LORENZO
posted 08-19-04 06:22 AM CT (US)     16 / 64  
Hmm. You? Oldie?

Well, but there is BIG improvement in your post. Your work at Scenario Contest was also very big '+' to the community. But this thread is quite... noobish. Just rename it 'OMG LOL! my first year!!!' and we have it.

I have quite pesimistic mood now. In fact, you are better as you was.

Who needs a sig, anyway.
posted 08-19-04 08:04 AM CT (US)     17 / 64  
This is my second year (or near enough), and I'm nowhere near being an oldie, so you've got a long way to go. I don't really care either, seeing as though I'm never around long enough to be accepted anyway.

--
--- ---- -
----- --- -
-
posted 08-19-04 10:21 AM CT (US)     18 / 64  
If you were a real Oldie, you wouldn't make a thread like this.

Not to mention that I PWN you.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 08-19-04 10:22 AM CT (US)     19 / 64  

Quote:

'I'm Becoming an Oldie'

Oldies don't usually post threads like these, as Gaiseric said, or even say "I'm an oldie." And the title of Oldie is reserved for the people who are actually old in forum age. 3-4 years old or more would be an oldie IMO. They are the people who know their way around the forums and reply intelligently.

Quote:

I used to post a million threads and top each of them weekly.

Oh. I thought you were unaware of your old habits.

Quote:

In another year, will I be like Swp or Gaiseric?

Mature? Nah. Wait until puberty kicks in. J/k, j/k.

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"

[This message has been edited by Angel Aro (edited 08-19-2004 @ 10:22 AM).]

posted 08-19-04 11:05 AM CT (US)     20 / 64  
ok, i haven't been here very long, but i think someone can only have been here for a couple months and be considered an "oldie." they might not be older, but they might be more mature than other forumers that have been here longer.
just my opinion

.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.King Spitfire.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.
"When you're dead, you're dead. That's it."
.,.*'`'*.,..,.*'`'Courtesy of Aoc Freako'`'*.,..,.*'`'*.,.
.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.My Forums | Join Now!.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.*'`'*.,.
posted 08-19-04 12:45 PM CT (US)     21 / 64  
Congrats to one year. I seem to have missed the day where one year of existance made you old, but congrats anyway.

Gordon hit the nail on the head when he said you do too much unnecessary posting; learning when to post (more often than not it's best to read a thread and shut up) is one of the best things a forumer can do. I have seen a definite improvement in your posts, although it is more subtle than, say, Kevo's change by his 1st anniversary.

Cheers.
*splashes Fadawah*

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
"There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."

[This message has been edited by zyxomma100 (edited 08-19-2004 @ 12:46 PM).]

posted 08-19-04 01:01 PM CT (US)     22 / 64  
I'm Becoming an Oldie - Lord_Fadawah

A contradiction at it's worse.

Anyways... I have noticed a change in you, you seem to be acting "more mature", so congrats.

I seem to be moving in the same direction as well... I Remember my first two threads here...

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=3,32701,,all

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=3,32698,,all

Hehe...

|=)(=| ©hewmen_Ldr |=)(=|
=============================
Chewmen is 5 Years old!
Clan Chewmen - Where the Addiction Begins
posted 08-19-04 01:37 PM CT (US)     23 / 64  
Congrats I guess.

Hmm. Well, the total amount of days that he has been here is definitely more than me, but measured from start to now, I have been here longer. And no. Don't bother looking at my profile. I'm talking about my old account...

M U S I C ! (& other random stuff)
posted 08-19-04 02:02 PM CT (US)     24 / 64  
C'mon, I've been here over two years now and I don't consider myself an oldie.

No. Bad Jarl. Bad Bad Jarl. NO Penis ASCII.
-Andy.
posted 08-19-04 03:22 PM CT (US)     25 / 64  
I've been here for 3 and a half years - I may be considered an oldie by some, but quite frankly I don't care. To myself I'll never be an 'oldie' until all those who were at HG for years before me stop posting entirely.

Come to think of it, I don't think anyone else can apply for 'oldie' status in my mind. Regular, sensible, intelligent forumers, yes, but to me the oldies will always be only those who were well-known at HG before me. Doesn't mean they're to be worshipped, though - quite the opposite in some cases.

[This message has been edited by Mechstra (edited 08-19-2004 @ 03:26 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » I'm Becoming an Oldie
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames