Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Tarkans or the Huns heavy cavalry line? Part 2 of tests inside
posted 09-25-01 09:27 PM CT (US)   
Since my last part of this test did so well, I figured I'll give you guys part 2 of the Tarken, in the imperial age. If you missed the last test, here's a link to it here. Also, if you see Tarkan spelled Tarken I'm sorry 'bout that, it's a habit I've sort of formed for some reason.

FU Elite Tarkan Vs FU Elite Cavalier
Test 1
Cavalier wins with 10 out of 140 Hp left (7% HP left with the Tarkan attacking first)
Test 2
Cavalier wins with 20 out of 140 Hp left (14% HP left with the Cavalier attacking first)

FU Elite Tarkan Vs FU Paladin
Test 1
Paladin wins with 50 out of 180 HP left (27% HP left with the Tarkan attacking first)
Test 2
Paladin wins with 60 out of 180 HP left (33% HP left with the Paladin attacking first)

Just for some extra info, to fully upgrade to a paladin it takes 1600 Food 1050 gold, 600 Food 550 Gold more expensive than the Elite Tarken upgrade. Also, a FU Tarkan can kill a Cavalier that doesn't have bloodlines even if the cavalier attacks first. Now that's cost effective .

As you can see, the Tarkan isn't exactly a power house but it does do its damage in cost to the cavalier, but the paladin just rips 'em to shreads.

----------------------

Now the Tarkan vs the Cavalier, and Paladin in tearing down buildings

FU Elite Tarkan vs a Barracks with no upgrades
Test results
The Elite Tarkan took 1 min 42 seconds to tear down the barracks (an non-elite Tarken took 2 min 39 seconds)

FU Cavalier vs a Barracks with no upgrades
Test results
The Cavalier took 2 min 31 seconds to tear down the barracks

FU Paladin vs a Barracks with no upgrades
Test results
The Paladin took 2 min 18 seconds to tear down the barracks

As you can see, the tarkan just shreads the barracks quite fast. But considering that only the Aztecs lack masonry and architecture then this won't be much use to you, unless you play against someone that doesn't bother with either tech (with the patch I don't see why you can't since it's only food and wood now)

----------------------

FU Elite Tarkan vs a barracks with masonry
Test results
The Tarken took 2 min 19 seconds to tear down the barracks

FU Cavalier vs a barracks with masonry
Test results
The cavalier took 3 min flat to tear down the barracks

FU Paladin vs a barracks with masonry
Test results
The Paladin took 2 min 42 seconds to tear down the barracks

As you can see, the tarken still holds the top in tearing down buildings faster, but the paladin's a lot closer than before in time.

----------------------

FU Elite Tarkans vs a barracks with masonry and architecture
Test results
The Elite Tarkan took 3 min 16 seconds to tear down the barracks

FU Cavalier vs a barracks with masonry and architecture
Test results
The Cavalier took 3 min 37 seconds to tear down the barracks

FU Paladin vs a barracks with masonry and architecture
Test Results
The Paladin took 3 min 13 seconds to tear down the barracks

Just some extra information, only 9 out of 17 civs gets architecture (excluding the Byzantines of course)

As you can see, if both techs are reasearched then the tarken and paladin just about break even, with the cavalier not too far behind. Kinda shocking how close they are really.

----------------------

FU Elite Tarkan vs an unupgraded wall
Test results
The tarken tore down the wall at a whopping 1 min 07 seconds to tear down the wall

FU Elite Tarkan vs a Fortified wall
Test results
The Elite Tarkan took 2 min 9 seconds to tear down the wall

----------------------

Elite Tarkans, Cavaliers, and Paladins vs Keeps

Elite Tarkan vs Keep lacking masonry
Test results
The keep had 1335 out of 2475 Hp (54% Hp left)

Cavalier vs Keep lacking masonry
Test results
The keep had 2163 out of 2475 Hp (87% Hp left)

Paladin vs Keep lacking masonry
Test results
The keep had 1859 out of 2475 Hp (75% Hp left)

Yikes, the tarken did 21% better than even the paladin did. Considering the cost ratio, I think you can figure out who was the most cost effective.

----------------------

Now the pros and cons of each unit

Tarkan Pros
Smashes buildings better than Cavaliers and Paladins at a better cost ratio
Costs less than Cavaliers and Paladins
Has a wider line of sight than the paladin and the cavalier

Tarkan Cons
Comes out of a castle
Dies a lot easier to other units

Cavalier Pros
Come out of a stable
Is quite cheap to upgrade to
Holds is own against other units quite well

Cavalier Cons
Blows against buildings practially compared to the other two
Quite costly to build, and you don't get great performance like the Tarken (it's 15 gold more and barley beats a tarkan)

Paladin Pros
Very powerful for its cost
Can tear down buildings almost as good as the Tarkan
Comes out of a stable

Paladin Cons
Still doesn't tear down castles or towers as good at the Tarkan

----------------------

Overall Tests Summary

Well the tarkan is just about as good as the cavalier against other units, and does killer against buildings until architecture is researched, then all 3 get very close building distorying time wise. But, the Tarkan reigns supreme in tearing down Castles, Walls, and Towers. So they do look like they're worth using if you plan to just do building smashing mostly, but against other units a paladin is probably your best choice unless you're tight on gold. IF you just plan on using cavaliers, then I'd advise using Tarkans instead, since they cost less and seem to do a very good job fighting units compared to a cavalier, and is still the top in building smashing.

Thanks for reading this, I'll be sure to do some more tests in the future. After looking at this, the tarkan doesn't look so bad afterall.

Replies:
posted 09-27-01 04:54 PM CT (US)     1 / 2  
Man! I still wish I had that patience.
Anyways, this proves that the Tarkans are really good!
I congatulate you.
posted 09-28-01 03:43 AM CT (US)     2 / 2  
I don't know if i like to say this, but a Frankish Paladin can take change the results of this test because of its extra HP. I hope you could conduct a test with 1 FU Tarkan against 1 FU Frankish Paladin. You will see how better will the frankish Paladin are. But i still considers the Huns as a powerful civilization. If you are going to charge against
somebody, better equip with lots of Paladins and Heavy Cav Archer (30% cheaper than a normal Havy Cav Archer).
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Tarkans or the Huns heavy cavalry line? Part 2 of tests inside
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames