General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Recommended strategy articles
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-23-01 10:25 PM CT (US)   
Well, I’ve put a little effort into collecting these links; these are not just every article I could lay my hands on. These are those that passed my critical eye as well written, easily interpreted and most of all useful articles relating to Age of Kings: The Conquerors...so that this is now the unrivaled source for links to quality Age of Kings articles.

While a great deal of these articles predate the 1.0c patch which has in its way altered the way AoK is played somewhat, I have retained only those articles in the collection which I feel still remain relevant.

Please email any suggestions for content in this post to theshadowdawn@hotmail.com

Last update 10th January 2001

There is a lot of stuff in here, so I suggest you use the contents section to let you skip straight to the sections you are likely to be interested in.

Please note: At present the contents section, due to the limitations of UBB code, automatically open these links in new windows. If you don't want to open a new window, you can merely scroll down through the post headings to get the section you are interested in.

Contents:

Introduction and Credits

1) Relevant links

2) Specific build strategies and ‘rushes’

1a) Dark Age specific articles
    2b) Feudal Age specific articles
    2c) Castle Age specific articles
    2d) Imperial Age specific articles
    2e) Map specific articles

3) Military tactics and strategy

4) Economy related articles

5) Civilisation-specific relevant articles

5a) Civilisations of the Ages series
    5b) Other civilisation specific articles

6) Game attributes and statistics discussion articles

7) Articles for new players

8) Other game-related articles

9) Downloads

10) Rating System

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 01-12-2002 @ 01:43 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-23-01 10:26 PM CT (US)     1 / 38  
Introduction and Credits

The recommended strategy articles collection is a constantly updated collection of links to articles relating to Age of Kings: The Conquerors and various strategies, tactics, and game facts applicable to improving your skill at the game. The descriptions provided hopefully allows the reader to move straight past articles of no relevance to their particular information search and find what they are looking for as quickly as possible.

I have to thank all those contributors, especially gX_Farmer from Planet Age of Empires, tripod_cat (aka wageoghe at MFO) and blue_myrridin who all assisted me with my search, plus the authors of the individual articles, many of whom I have no doubt are completely unaware of this post.

1) Relevant links

MrFixitOnline: Age of Kings command centre

Home to the largest Age of kings strategy oriented community on the internet. Many articles described in this article are from here.

Planet Age of Empires

Again, an Age of Kings fan site with several articles and items of interest held here.

Age of Kings Heaven

This would be where you are now.

Demo games: learn by watchingMFO, wageoghe (tripod_cat)

wageoghe’s recommended recorded games, chosen for how they demonstrate a variety of tactics and buildups. Highly recommended. Rating: •••••

Strategy posts worth readingMFO, wageoghe (tripod_cat)

Similar assemblage of links type article to this one. Rating: ••••

The ultimate AoK guideAoKH, dragons89

Again, another collection of readable articles, though obviously not as good as mine. Rating: •••

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 01-12-2002 @ 01:21 AM).]

posted 11-23-01 10:27 PM CT (US)     2 / 38  
2) Specific build orders and age-related articles

2a) Dark Age Specific

Douche Database - MFO/AoKH, Trouble_4_U

An interesting article on how to pull off the controversial Douche. In his own words: "AoK poker, where a douche beats a flush". To my mind a less effective tactic, but decide for yourself. Prepatch, but mostly relevant points I think. Rating: •

The Drush; or militia rushing - AoEDanny

Different to the douche, militia rushing is precarious at the best of times, and takes a lot of work to master. While I expect very few people will take interest in these two articles, I'm still posting them as they allow you an insight into what an enemy is doing if he uses this tactic on you. Prepatch, but mostly relevant. Rating: •

A guide to militia rushing - PAoE, WhiteDog

Another article on militia rushing and the benefits of taking the initiative in the Dark Age. Also prepatch. Rating: •

The Persian ‘Dock first’ strategyES Site, The Sheriff

Fairly well known tactic that boost starts the Persians on water maps. Rating: •••

2b) Feudal Age Specific

Flush defense - AoKH, swp

Some pointers on flush defense. Pre-patch, but still relevant. Rating: •••

Chichiri’s three range flushMFO, Chichiri

Very well written article on a more simplistic post patch flush, ideal for a learning player. Rating: ••••

Mayan flushing - MFO, Glow Worm

A more advanced guide to flushing - as the name suggests - specific to the Mayans. Prepatch but contains many relevant points. Rating: •••

Market assisted power flushAoKH, Doug Thompson

The idea produced some interesting discussion and probably has some applicable uses. It concerns the focal use of the market to sustain an economy strong enough to deliver a feudal attack with an alternative civ from the regular ‘flushing’ ones. Rating: •••

Saracen scout rushMFO, Machiavelli

Well written article on an early hitting unique Saracen tactic that utilises their market bonus to a good extent. Unfortunately no record to follow. Rating: ••••

'Crappy grushing' - MFO, Wide_Arc

Excellent guide to learning to galley rush, a necessity if you play water maps. (Or intend to.) For more average experience level players. Rating: •••••

2c) Castle Age Specific

Kidd's Lightning Eagle Warrior Rush (KLEW) - Ensemble Studios, Captn_Kidd

Guide to the now classic Mayan tactic alternative to the Flush. Prepatch but still generally relevant. Rating: •••••

http://www.rtscentral.com/readPosting.asp?PostingId=50900320 Knights in 20 minutes: Chichiri’s Mass Knight rush[/url] – MFO, Chichiri

Good article and record to follow on carrying out a mass knight rush; a tactic aimed a pocket player in a 3v3 and by the looks of things can be particularly devastating. Rating: •••••

Light Cavalry Rush; Mongolian Style - AoKH, Doug Thompson

Also applicable to the Turks, among others. Step by step guide to a tactic that hits harder than the flush but earlier than the knight rush. Rating: •••

Chinese Knight rush - MFO, St_LadyWoogy and Arutha

Fast castle tactic designed for a more powerful but later-hitting attack. Prepatch, but generally relevant. Rating: ••••

Flammifer’s Japanese Monk rushAoKH, LKS_Flammifer

Similarly applied to both Aztecs and Saracens as well as the suggested Japanese, this is much a revision of the old Smush. Two records demonstrating the tactic follow. Rating: •••

2d) Imperial Age Specific

How to counter the champ flood - PAoE, Lunatic

If the name doesn't tell you what it's about, well... Excellent article about the effectiveness of Champs and Arbs in relation to numbers with justifying evidence to support it. And of course, how to stop an early Imp Champ flood. Prepatch article, but relevant nonetheless. Rating: •••••

100 Champions in 40 minutes - AoKH, ChernobylGlow

A very well written article on the early Imperial Champ attack. Recorded game to go with it. Rating: ••••

2e) Map specific articles

FoN_Raveman’s guide to NomadMFO, FoN_Raveman

PDF file comprehensive guide to Nomad. Highly acclaimed by the good people at MFO. Be patient, it’s not a small download. Rating: •••••

How to play water maps - MFO, DaRq_Nirvana

A little guide and some tips on how to play the various naval type maps. Prepatch. Rating: •••

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 01-15-2002 @ 08:16 PM).]

posted 11-23-01 10:27 PM CT (US)     3 / 38  
3) Military tactics & Strategy

The Little Known Secrets of the Greats seriesAoKH, Winston

Winston’s ongoing series of posts about small tactics that improve your gameplay in general. Rating: •••

Battle scenariosPaoE, Xiphoid (I think?)

7 little articles contributing some very interesting thoughts into solutions to certain scenarios in the game. Rating: ••••

How to find the right counter - PAoE, WhizzyKidd (Alloran)

Pretty self explanatory. It's not a list of Skirm to Archer, it's an intelligent examination of how to determine your unit to unit choices in game, analyse performance, etc. Very insightful and definitely worth reading. Rating: •••

Some suggestions on stopping massed scorpions - AoKH, The Dragon Reborn (TheShadowDawn)

An in-depth discussion of the most effective ways to stop this 'unstoppable' juggernaut. Some very interesting points raised. Rating: ••

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 01-12-2002 @ 01:22 AM).]

posted 11-23-01 10:28 PM CT (US)     4 / 38  
4) Economic Articles

When should you research Wheelbarrow and Hand Cart? - PAoE, Farmer_Barleymow (Farmer)

Farmer gives an indepth analysis of this question posed, examining statistical evidence to support the various arguments. Very good article. Rating: •••••

Realistic effects of real gather rates - MFO, Machieavelli

Self explanatory. If you're interested in the various complexities of the actual economic factors, worth a read. Accompanies the article Ideal and real gather rates of resources - MFO, Neilkaz and phlspr. Rating: ••

Deer hunting: An analysisMFO – Machiavelli

Interesting post on deer hunting and factoring impacts. For those of you who have seen the original post, this is the revised version.

Three rules of market trading - AoKH, Doug Thompson

Part of Doug Thompson's crusade to increase the knowledgability and application levels of market use. Rating: ••

More market civs! - AoKH, Doug Thompson

Thoughts on the advantages of some other civs to use the market. Another of Doug's market articles. Rating: ••

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 01-12-2002 @ 01:38 AM).]

posted 11-23-01 10:29 PM CT (US)     5 / 38  
5) Civilisation specific and relevant articles

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 02-23-2002 @ 02:07 AM).]

posted 11-23-01 10:29 PM CT (US)     6 / 38  
6) Game attributes and statistics discussion articles

Tests summary - AoKH, gaparr64

Complete compilation of gaparr's credible unit to unit statistic matchups; pointing out cost effective counters, units strengths and weaknesses. Constantly growing collection. Rating: •••••

Unit attack bonuses - AoKH, Turin

While not as comprehensive as MFO's unit tables, it contains the attack bonuses of most land units in a quick and easily interpreted format. Rating: •••

Unit creation times - AoKH, gaparr64

Listing of units' respective production time, bonuses and conscription and unique techs taken into consideration. Rating: •••

Unit attack rates - AoKH, TheShadowDawn

Simply interpreted figures on unit attack rates. Rating: •••

Unit tables - MFO

Pure statistics, in terms of production time, bonuses etc on top of the usual references like HP and attack. Rating: •••

Ideal and real gather ratesMFO, Neilkaz and phlsphr

Information on the theoretical and actual gather rates of resources in AoK, and what effects researching wheelbarrow and hand cart have upon them. Rating: •••••

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 12-11-2001 @ 11:38 PM).]

posted 11-23-01 10:30 PM CT (US)     7 / 38  
7) Articles for a newer player

The newbie guide to AoK - Captn_Kidd, MFO

7 easily understood and applied chapters covering the most basic points on getting started and moving in the game. The starting point for every aspiring ager, acclaimed by the masses. Rating: •••••

On the road to expert - MFO, DaRq_Darkjihad

Widely acclaimed 14 part series covering the elemental basics of AoK and their real game applications. Very good starting place for a new player. Rating: •••••

Guide to early town placement - PAoE, Xiphoid

An *excellent* article on the dos and don'ts of developing your town. Very insightful, and highly reccomended. Rating: ••••

Reccomended civs for a new player - AoKH, Doug Thompson

A Doug Thompson special; a look at user opinions and his own thoughts about what civ new players should start with. Rating: ••••

The Road of Kings - gOF site, gOF_ar

The gOF clan's (Don't ask what the acronym is...) guide to becoming an above-average player as quikcly as possible. Apparently quite good. Rating: •••

The Powerup (Boom) - PAoE, Lightning_CN

Nice little guide on how to produce the rapid economic expansion commonly referred to as 'booming'. A necessary tactic for every new player to learn. Rating: ••••

Boar luringMFO, wageoghe

All you need to know about luring boar, an essential ability. Rating: ••

Demo games: learn by watchingMFO, wageohge

wageohge’s recommended recorded games demonstrating a variety of tactics. Highly recommended. Rating: •••••

Note that these are all AoK original recorded games, I advise you download GrEek_OuTCaSt’s (sp) utility that allows you to use the original AoK launcher (And thus the recorded games) without going through all the fuss of placing the files manually, If you’re unsure about this, check the patch readme file.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 11-28-2001 @ 06:17 AM).]

posted 11-23-01 10:31 PM CT (US)     8 / 38  
8) Other game-related articles

The real cost of repairs - PAoE, Farmer_Barleymow

Short article on the cost of repairing units and buildings. Rating: ••

How farming worksMFO, tellur

Self explanatory, worth looking at. The title sounds dull but that basic concept described within is quite interesting. Rating: •••

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 01-12-2002 @ 01:40 AM).]

posted 11-23-01 10:31 PM CT (US)     9 / 38  
9) Downloads

GrEEk_OuTkASt’s v1.0 TC launcherGrEEk clan site, GrEEk_OuTkASt (sp)

Let’s you run the original AoK exectuable so you can run pre-patch recorded games. This doesn’t affect the existing copy of age of kings on your computer in any way.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 11-28-2001 @ 06:24 AM).]

posted 11-23-01 10:32 PM CT (US)     10 / 38  
10) Rating system

• - Only recommended if you have an interest in the specific subject of the article
•• - Likely only subject-specific material that you’ll find of interest
••• - Good article, I advocate reading it
•••• - Highly recommended article, regardless of your interest areas
••••• - Read this or I kill you

Happy reading.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 11-28-2001 @ 06:24 AM).]

posted 11-23-01 10:33 PM CT (US)     11 / 38  
This is a blank section for future use.

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
posted 11-23-01 11:14 PM CT (US)     12 / 38  
somehow, the links don't work for me...only leads me into another page of this.

Give me money, and I might feel generous enough to say something kind.
--My The Ultimate AOK Guide--
--My The Ultimate AOM Guide
posted 11-23-01 11:17 PM CT (US)     13 / 38  
and why did my ultimate aok guide drop from a 4 star to a 3 star?

posted 11-23-01 11:27 PM CT (US)     14 / 38  
That was back when I did the major revision. And if I had html, I could make so that instead of opening in a new window, clicking the links would just go straight down to the particular posts. It still works as is. I'm going to talk to zen or someone when I get the time, but I don't think it will change somehow.

TheShædøwDåwn
posted 11-23-01 11:29 PM CT (US)     15 / 38  
By the way, that last post will cost you $0.99, thankyou.

TheShædøwDåwn
posted 11-24-01 06:16 AM CT (US)     16 / 38  
Err...I'd rather pay 15.99 for a correct answer:P

posted 11-28-01 06:26 AM CT (US)     17 / 38  
No thoughts on the new format? I guess it ould be better if I could get off my lazy backside and pester an angel into converting the original post into HTML, so the links scroll you down the page instead of opening a new window.

Updated, by the way, chiefly statistical articles.

TheShædøwDåwn
posted 11-28-01 10:18 PM CT (US)     18 / 38  
Quote:
and why did my ultimate aok guide drop from a 4 star to a 3 star?

lol, he had to fit it all on one line

_Von_
posted 11-28-01 10:33 PM CT (US)     19 / 38  
No, I thought I'd make the rating accurate rather than favouritised.

TheShædøwDåwn
posted 11-29-01 11:07 PM CT (US)     20 / 38  
nice!

This is IT, That is ALL!
AOKH Ladder Standings
AOKH AOE III Forum
AOKH Training Camp
Zone Name: DarkSide_of_Day
posted 12-08-01 05:56 AM CT (US)     21 / 38  
Updated. I will consider beseechign Zen or some other person to convert the top post to html as soon as I get off my lazy backside for once.

TheShædøwDåwn
posted 12-17-01 08:22 PM CT (US)     22 / 38  
Another update, added some stats articles which I think might be useful. Also changed the sig back to like my old one, minus the colours because it was unreadable at other forums , as people seem to be forgetting about my poor Strat Articles Collection. *Sigh*

TheShædøwDåwn
posted 01-11-02 08:16 AM CT (US)     23 / 38  
To the top. And goto hell you evil ultimate AoK guide.

TheShædøwDåwn
posted 01-11-02 01:54 PM CT (US)     24 / 38  
Well done. Especially the article about stopping massed scorps. I had a game recently where I had about 50 of those damn things on my doorstep. I was trying everything. When I finally figured out that trebs work it was too late.

TVB_LongBow/VinegaryFlea
"I hat longbow"--Stark_Zero
TVB CLAN
"Because you're the voice of reason, and plus I figured you'd like the blinking light on top."--_parlous_provost
Please note that LongBow and Associates Condones, Practices and will train people to flame. It also helps promote any drug use that could possibly be amusing, Russian roulette and Gambling
posted 01-14-02 01:58 AM CT (US)     25 / 38  
+1 post count.

TheShædøwDåwn
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Recommended strategy articles
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames