You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A FINAL, COMPLETE AND PLAIN-ENGLISH GUIDE TO USING THE SARACEN MARKET BONUS IN THE FEUDAL AGE (Long)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01-07-02 00:13 AM CT (US)   
Time to wrap this issue up and move on to other things. Another guide for the Turks and possibly a few other civs will come, using the same methods.

THE SHORT VERSION:Build a market as soon as you get to feudal and sell 300 stone ASAP. Buy food and wood with the proceeds. Your expensive market will turn from a short-term liability into a powerful asset at once.

THE LONG VERSION:

1. The Cost.

Saracens lack any Dark Age bonus. They lag behind fast civilizations when the Feudal Age begins. They get no economic bonus in the Feudal Age, either, until and unless they build a market. A market costs 175 wood and a minute's worth of villager work. Building a market costs a lot for a civilization already outpaced by enemies. So, how soon does the Saracen market bonus repay this expense?

The method chosen here to measure that "payback" uses the "gold standard." This calculates the "villager seconds" needed to gather the resources being measured. Then, the gold that could be collected in the same "time" is figured. Building time is also "priced" with the Saracen gold gather rate.

When market food is cheaper than farm food on average, the Saracen begins to benefit from the bonus. Before that point, the market is a cost.

Machiavelli_IUB's "The REAL Real Cost of Resources" from Mr. Fixit Online was used for these calculations. No upgraded gather rates were used.

These figures put the "cost" of building a Saracen market at $216.06. That cost is added to all the gold spent for food purchases. This total cost is then divided by the number of food purchases. This yields an average cost per 100 food that includes the market building cost.

The method used for "pricing" farm food was similar. However, the whole wood and labor cost of the farm was not applied. One-hundred food is a little more than 57 percent of the food that an unupgraded farm produces. So, the proportion (100/175 or 4/7ths) of the wood and labor cost was assigned to the farm food price.

The "price" of farm food is $151.94 by this method. The price of Saracen market food falls to $152.21 with five purchases with gold. The sixth purchase yields an average of $146.01. Therefore, the Saracen market bonus does not "kick in" until after 600 food is bought. The average at 1,000 food purchased is $136.01.

Selling Saracen stone profoundly changes and improves this performance.

Selling at least 300 stone is the key to exploiting the Saracen market bonus, in my opinion.

2. Why Stone?

Saracens are the only civilization that can make a profit in early feudal by selling stone. Digging up 100 stone "costs" $105 in labor. A Saracen can sell 100 stone for $123 gold in the first transaction. The next sale is for $122, then $121, then $2 less per transaction after that. For comparison purposes, Turkish gold miners can dig up $119 in gold in the time it takes for Saracen stone miners to dig up 100 stone. Therefore, Saracen stone miners can "produce" more gold that bonused Turkish gold miners for a short time. They produce more gold than typical miners for long after that.

The benefit of stone selling can be measured. The method used here was to subtract the "profit" of each stone sale from the total gold spent on food, based on the assumption that a Saracen would use gold obtained from stone sales for his early food purchases.

The figures below should be self explanatory by now. The are rounded to the nearest whole-dollar amount. Note that the Saracen is assumed to stop selling stone after selling 500 stone.

Transactions -- Price paid -- Total Spent -- Market Cost, per transaction -- Stone Profit -- Avg. Cost, overall.
1 -- $105 -- $105 -- $216 -- $17 -- $304

2 -- $107 -- $212 -- $108 -- $16 -- $197

3 -- $109 -- $321 -- $72 -- $15 -- $163

4 -- $111 -- $432 -- $54 -- $13 -- $146

5 -- $113 -- $545 -- $43 -- $11 -- $138

6 -- $115 -- $660 -- $36 -- 0 -- $134

7 -- $118 -- $778 -- $31 -- 0 -- $132

8 -- $120 -- $898 -- $27 -- 0 -- $130

9 -- $122 -- $1020 -- $24 -- 0 -- $129

10 -- $124 -- $1144 -- $22 -- 0 -- $129

11 -- $126 -- $1270 -- $20 -- 0 --$128

12 -- $128 -- $1398 -- $18 -- 0 -- $128

13 -- $130 -- $1528 -- $17 -- 0 -- $129

14 -- $132 -- $1660 -- $15 -- 0 -- $129

15 -- $134 -- $1794 -- $14 -- 0 -- $129

16 -- $136 -- $1930 -- $14 -- 0 -- $130

17 -- $139 -- $2069 -- $13 -- 0 -- $130

18 -- $141 -- $2210 -- $12 -- 0 -- $131

19 -- $143 -- $2353 -- $11 -- 0 -- $131

20 -- $145 -- $2498 -- $11 -- 0 -- $132

21 -- $147 -- $2645 -- $10 -- 0 -- $133

22 -- $149 -- $2794 -- $10 -- 0 -- $133

23 -- $151 -- $2945 -- $9 -- 0 -- $134

Selling stone early has another significant advantage that is harder to measure. Crowding at the mining pit hurts efficiency. By starting off with a stone mine, the Saracens can relieve crowding when they build a gold mine. The gold mine could and should start after necessary buildings are up and stone profits taper off.

Note that the Saracens get 200 starting stone. Assume they start mining stone in the Dark Age and continue during Feudal Transition. They should have another 100 stone mined by the time the market is built. Sale of this 300 stone will bring in $365 gold. That sum is more than enough to buy 300 food. That much food could create an temporarily unusable surplus. Also, all this market building and mining is wood-intensive. There is little use to plentiful food if there is no wood for military buildings to produce troops.

One way to avoid these problems is to buy wood.

3. Buying Wood

Price calculations show that the price of 100 wood is $111. The Saracens can buy 100 wood for $105 at starting prices. Saracens can cost-effectively buy 300 wood before double-bit ax is researched.

4. Stone and Gold Depletion.

Tests in scenario editor show that 1,000 stone can be sold, then bought back later for a net loss of $101 gold. Tests also show that 2,300 food can be bought and then sold back later for a net loss of $230 gold. These losses are more than offset by the gold a Saracen could collect by selling any wood surpluses, for instance.

5. Other Implications

The cheapness of Saracen scouts and upgrades of all kinds should be noted. At 80 food a scout, a Saracen scout costs very little compared to the farm-food expense. The same is true of villagers and, to a lesser extent, men-at-arms and spears.

Most early upgrades cost food more than anything else.

It should also be noted that the Saracens should have food in large enough quantities to permit the production of a larger-than-usual number of scouts in early Feudal.

The benefits of intensive mining for market use should also be noted. Saracens can produce archers with gold. Archers do not require food, so producing archers requires less gold for food purchases. Food can be purchased either before or after archer production.

If this was 1250 AD, your civ would be in Mongolia.
I'm single-player only, so I know nothing. Ain't free speech great?
Hunters all their lives - Mongols, CavArchers & Hussars
Kagemusa - Japanese links
Civs for a new player & Arch Enemies

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 01-07-2002 @ 00:16 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-07-02 02:09 AM CT (US)     1 / 34  
Doug uses caps in a topic line. This must be important.

*Decides to read*

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
posted 01-07-02 04:25 AM CT (US)     2 / 34  
I have been working on a M@A rush using the Saracen market bonus and the enamy doesn't know what hit em
as always good post Doug
Rotfl at shadow

Been around a while
posted 01-07-02 06:57 AM CT (US)     3 / 34  
title in caps = newbie

*looks away*

moooooooooooooooooooooo

Ex-Preacher of the "CHAOTIC FUN". It ain't dead. Punk never died either.
From a country in "OLD Europe" and in line with Cuba and Libya!
Consequence: Is sun tanned. Drinks rum. Smokes Cigars. Is Polygam.
*loves RUMSFELD* Late Night Shows can concern themself with Politics now.
I hate NO ONE (Exception: my arch-enemy and angel Winston, whom I wish death each time i see his name), everything else is joking.
And Immortal of the Mageslair: http://www.mageslair.net
posted 01-07-02 11:41 AM CT (US)     4 / 34  
Warning signs also come in all caps.

Seriously, I'd be tickled with anybody who just wants to take my word for it that the Saracen market bonus pays off almost immediately if you sell stone, and skips reading this.

If I make a point about the market in the future and anybody argues with me, though, they'll get a link to this post.

The point is very simple. Proving it is long.

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 01-07-2002 @ 01:26 PM).]

posted 01-07-02 03:31 PM CT (US)     5 / 34  
This is quality stuff, guaranteed Doug Thompson
Everyone who isn't familiar with your former saracen market posts should read this to get a clear picture of their unique bonus and to fully take advantage of it.
Knowing when you must start farming in full scale instead of trading might be one of the difficulties of this strategy.

•Qazitory•
•AoE3 rating: Qazitory
My AoE3:TWC mods: QazUI - Treasure - Main Menu - Low Lag HC - Deck selection•
•Guide my keystrokes, keep my programs alive, protect me from viruses, back up my drive.•
posted 01-07-02 04:41 PM CT (US)     6 / 34  
Thanks, Qazitory.

The biggest problem with using the market bonus must be making the transition to farming. Everybody who has tried intensive market use has mentioned that problem.

One of the reasons I posted the whole long list of averages was to help people make their own decision about when to start farming intensively. The best answer I can offer now is: "As soon as you can." I suspect it should be done gradually, with new villagers coming out of the town center. The flow of gold from the miners can then be sent into getting to the Castle Age, then making horse archers.

That method seems to keep villager re-assignment to a minimum.

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 01-07-2002 @ 06:02 PM).]

posted 01-07-02 08:11 PM CT (US)     7 / 34  
Very nice Doug....I'm gonna try it out to see how it works.

This is IT, That is ALL!
AOKH Ladder Standings
AOKH AOE III Forum
AOKH Training Camp
Zone Name: DarkSide_of_Day
posted 01-07-02 08:34 PM CT (US)     8 / 34  
A complete guild to using market... DON'T USE MARKET
posted 01-07-02 09:03 PM CT (US)     9 / 34  
That would be the same as saying, "Don't use Saracens."

posted 01-07-02 09:34 PM CT (US)     10 / 34  
lol perfect guild o thats great wtf?
posted 01-07-02 10:18 PM CT (US)     11 / 34  
If you're saracen and is trading Stone for Gold and Gold for Food, then you can maximize your trading advantage when you sale out 1300 stones to get back 1200 food & 60 gold. You saved a total of 882 vil-seconds(VS)!!!

But a market cost 175 wood, an extra mine for stone cost 100 wood, and the build time for those two buildings combined is 95VS. 275 wood to build the market and the stone mine cost 729VS + 95VS Build Time = 824VS invested into those two extra buildings. So in the end, the only thing you got out of the saracen-market is a free market, a free stone mine, and about 40VS to spare. On the other hand, you've just lost 1300 potential stones to be use later when you really needed it.

[This message has been edited by _Final_Boss (edited 01-07-2002 @ 10:28 PM).]

posted 01-07-02 10:20 PM CT (US)     12 / 34  
Final Boss is right. You make a nice post about how useful the Saracen market is, but really, who uses Saracens in competitive games? The market is still basically useless even with the Saracen bonus.
posted 01-08-02 09:02 AM CT (US)     13 / 34  
_Final_Boss;

In the first place, nobody ever recommended selling 1,300 stone. The figures above stop at 500 stone, on the assumption that nobody wants to strip himself of stone.

Since selling stone shows a slight loss with the 10th batch and a greater loss on every sale after that, your example is based on a Saracen player selling stone after there is no reason to do so and excellent reasons to stop.

As for the vill-secs saved, the “price” figures above can be convereted to vill-secs. In this case, divide any price by 0.351, the Saracen gold gather rate.

By my math, the farm food price per 100 food ($152) minus the average Saracen market price at 1,000 food purchased ($129) amounts to $23 per 100 food. $23 * 10 = $230. It would take one villager slightly more than 655 seconds to mine $230 gold.

So the amount saved is 655 vill secs by the time 1,000 food is bought. Similar calculations show the Saracen saves about 200 v-s (199.4) by the time 500 food is bought.

As for the expense of an "extra" mine, how many players get far into feudal without a stone and a gold mine? One of the specific benefits claimed for the "stone first" approach is that it takes away the need for early, redundant mining camps.

Note these comparisons are to farm food, not berries or fish.

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 01-08-2002 @ 10:22 AM).]

posted 01-08-02 09:08 AM CT (US)     14 / 34  
1. "You make a nice post about how useful the Saracen market is, but really, who uses Saracens in competitive games?"

Wargrunt, who placed second in the World Cyber Games. Chose Huns for the final bout, but got into the finals using Saracens and the market.

To be honest, I suspect grunt used the Saracens and got as far as he did with a combination of exceptional talent and the surprize value of using the market. By the time he got to the finals, his competition had figured out his "secret weapon."

2. People who like Saracens.

3. Approximately 5.6 percent of all players who choose "random"

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 01-08-2002 @ 10:45 AM).]

posted 01-08-02 04:59 PM CT (US)     15 / 34  
Heh, idiot. Grunt didn't use Saracens in the tournament. Unless he played games that were never posted. I have, and watched, every MS Tourney/WCG Tourney game there is. Grunt didn't use Saracens.

Your last 2 reasons are pretty odd also.

People who like Saracens. People who like Saracens and use them in 9/10 games are rooks.

People who play random civ. Who actually uses random civ in competitive games?

posted 01-08-02 05:13 PM CT (US)     16 / 34  
And a cheery good afternoon to you, too.

If Grunt didn't use Saracens, somebody better tell the authors of the threads that extensively discuss his games over at MFO.

If he did not use them in the tournament, I stand corrected. But there is no need to be rude.

"Out of the mouths of babes and idiots comes the truth." That's in the Bible somewhere, I think.

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 01-08-2002 @ 05:38 PM).]

posted 01-08-02 05:13 PM CT (US)     17 / 34  
Also, how long it takes for a market to pay for itself is one issue.

How long does it takes for a farm to pay for itself?

A non-bonused farm costs $72.12 in labor and wood to build. It takes about three minutes and 25 seconds for a villager to complete another $72.12 worth of labor.

Therefore, every unbonused farmer on an unupgraded farm spends the first three minutes and 25 seconds of that farm’s productive life collecting enough food to make up for the labor and materials to build the farm.

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 01-08-2002 @ 05:26 PM).]

posted 01-08-02 05:42 PM CT (US)     18 / 34  
Doug you do realise that on multiplayer other players also use the market? It's rare but it happens... anyway i haven't had the time to read it yet.. when i get some i'l give it a shot

die shadow
"You need to unexpectedly expect the unexpected
I RULE EVERYTHING
Zone Name:LKS_Sorceror
posted 01-08-02 05:44 PM CT (US)     19 / 34  
Did some research. Turns out that I did need correcting.

Wargrunt's glory days as a Saracen took place (according to a post by Virus_Cool on MFO) in rated play before the tournament -- when he compiled a 26-1 win record before the patch, when he was freqently running up against pre-patch Chinese.

Holy Sh ...., eh ...

Golly!

I'm more impressed than before.

Yes, Grunt could play the Byz with no sheep and a dead scout and still beat most people, but still.

posted 01-08-02 05:51 PM CT (US)     20 / 34  
"Doug you do realise that on multiplayer other players also use the market? "

That's a two-edged sword, Darth_Malice.

Want to make sure nobody else gets any benefit from the market in feudal? Play the Saracens and use the market first.

The market is inefficient for anybody else, except maybe for the Turks and possibly the Japanese.

If somebody else builds a market and a Saracen's in the game, they can be shut out of market food and suffer a lot of loss. If there are two Saracens in the game, the market benefits are enough that both will get some good out of it.

Also, "pre-emption" is another factor in favor of selling stone, getting a lot of gold and buying a lot of food early.

posted 01-08-02 05:55 PM CT (US)     21 / 34  
Dontwallmytc.. i beg to differ! not all people who play saracens are rooks. As a matter of fact not even half of them are!

also doug i got a question that's been on my mind lately...
a fourmmer brought this up a while back.. and i no one answered....

in every single saracen guide, mostly all saracen posts, and the such.. everyone say's that teh saracens have rocking camels.. almost unbeatable.. one of the hardest units to counter in teh game (the mameluke)... and how all of them use saracen camels... So indirectly what they are really saying is that the saracens are a cavalry reliant civlization? and so.. it just seems odd that a civilization which lack imperial age heavy cav. are considered a cav. civilizaiton...

am i right?

i've come to the conclusion.. taht although the saracens get supreme camels and stuff they really are a bad civilization, and although they do not need to fear the cavarly of other civlizations, they really do not get good cavalry of their own... (just a little side thing.. it seemed interesting at the time)

die shadow
I RULE EVERYTHING
posted 01-08-02 06:00 PM CT (US)     22 / 34  
The fact is that nearly every game on the zone is Arabia rated or friendly. Yes, other games do occur, but those are mostly Nomad and BF. Saracens won't shine on Nomad (for all I know, I'm not much of a Nomader) but they do shine on BF because rookies love to see massed Mamelukes. face it, Saracens aren't, and never will be a top choice in competitive games.

Remember: You can't always survive on the market.

posted 01-08-02 06:02 PM CT (US)     23 / 34  
Doug you say selling stone is the way and I believe you and I read the whole page but would it be feasable to sell wood and mine gold at the same time
I like to keep stone for offensive and defensive castles and making mams so this is why I am asking
if I mine gold and wood only selling wood and using the gold(using wood and gold at the same time) I have to buy food

and yes doug you probably get your stone back but I am not willing to take that chance cuz mams are sooooo cool

numbers are 7 goldies and 12 woodies if you need that

Been around a while
posted 01-08-02 06:09 PM CT (US)     24 / 34  
Don'twall who said anything about mames.. need i remind you rooks also like seeing war elephants, mangudai, and TK.. but you know these civ's are some of the highest playeed civ's in the game! What Doug and I try to accomplish in our saracen threads is that... while unappealing to inters and the such do to their lack of speed, the saracens can become an unstoppable juggernaut early on due to the hybrid economy he/she can form using the market.

die shadow
I RULE EVERYTHING
posted 01-08-02 06:22 PM CT (US)     25 / 34  
Darth_Malice;

An interesting topic, but I don't think the Saracens are cavalry reliant. However, they do trump cavalry-reliant players.

Many posts on this forum talk about how newcomers like to build lots and lots of paladins. Even intermediate players make lots and lots of knights.

Knights are the dominant Castle-Age unit, and not without considerable justification. The Huns are very popular, in my opinion, more for their stable bonus and fast knight rush than for their cheap cavalry archers.

So, if you like to win against opponents who are obsessed with Castle or Imperial age warfare and knights/paladins, camels can be a lot of fun.

Also, the mameluke really is a great UU. Priced appropriately, but great.

I think Saracens are an excellent cavalry civilization. They have first-rate light/cav hussars, first-rate cav archers with a bonus on top of that, a knight that is perfectly fine in the Castle Age and arguably is as good as a non-bloodlined cavilier in the Imperial Age, first-rate camels, arguably the best all-round unique unit and Zealotry.

WallmyTC;

Re: Top choice in competetive games.

So?

Did this post say that the Saracen bonus was better than the Hun bonus? No. Did it claim that the Saracen bonus was better than the Mongol bonus? No. Did it compare the Saracen bonus to free town watch? No.

Did it attempt to answer two questions that have been asked of me by numerous forummers, both here and at MFO, and try to back those answers up with some numbers and calculations that anybody can double-check?

Yes.

These forums exist to answer questions. Everybody knows what the top competitive civs are. If questions strictly related to the "top competetive civs" were the only questions that forums were concerned with, they can close the forums down because most of those questions have been answered.

Of course, if you do have some question about a "top" civ that hasn't been answered, I will be happy to attempt an answer, but post it on another thread.

[This message has been edited by Doug Thompson (edited 01-08-2002 @ 06:42 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » A FINAL, COMPLETE AND PLAIN-ENGLISH GUIDE TO USING THE SARACEN MARKET BONUS IN THE FEUDAL AGE (Long)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames